Author Topic: [PSX/PC] KERNEL.BIN editor - WallMarket (v1.4.5)  (Read 719777 times)

Aali

• View Profile
Re: [Release v1.4.5] WallMarket KERNEL.BIN editor
« Reply #800 on: 2010-11-20 14:07:46 »
Okay its not just a simple number but it should be super easy to atleast bump the limit up to 65536 bytes. (more than 2 times the current limit)

With a tiny bit more work it could be made to be more or less unlimited but maybe thats not really necessary.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: 2010-11-20 14:23:35 »
What do we have to edit? :)  Can we do it with a simple hex editor?

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #802 on: 2010-11-20 15:06:42 »
No but I have already added it to the custom driver. There was no point in just bumping it to 65536 so now its unlimited. Each section is still limited to 65536, but if that ever becomes an issue it too can be fixed quite easily.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: 2010-11-20 16:01:05 »
But unfortunately the problem here seems to be that Wallmarket is corrupting the file when it saves... nothing can solve that except the author of this tool. :(

At least we can now have longer files though!

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #804 on: 2010-11-21 21:17:54 »
But unfortunately the problem here seems to be that Wallmarket is corrupting the file when it saves... nothing can solve that except the author of this tool. :(

At least we can now have longer files though!

As I explained before the exe limits the size to 27KB. If there's another problem other than the multiple curly brackets let me know either by a PM or a reply. I still check this regularly even though I rarely post anything.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: 2010-11-21 21:30:35 »
That's just it though, these corruptions are occurring well below the size limit.  But I will PM this problem in future.  There is a serious text bug with your tool...  eventually you will find it :)

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #806 on: 2010-11-22 13:49:45 »
There's a major bug, but I'm not going to tell you what it is

That's not very helpful.

In fact, that's the opposite of helpful.

..."Unhelpful".

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #807 on: 2010-11-22 13:55:42 »
Don't start a flame war. Let's be civil, please.

DLPB, I don't remember what the original text issue was. Please remind me. I don't have time to comb through the last X0 posts.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: 2010-11-22 15:40:54 »
The problem with the text is this:

You can be sailing along, with no problems, especially if you are editing only a few things, when suddenly (if you are editing  a lot) you get in game and realise things like 1/35 Soldier are now reading 1/35 S  dier.  It seems to have a pattern.  1/35 Soldier and all words Soldier (like Toy Soldier) become affected.  In fact every time this has happened to me, the word Soldier has been corrupted.

Not only  names become corrupt, sometimes descriptions.  In recent times, limit break names have also become corrupted with { in front of them.  I saved a brand new kernel the other day and made ONE change and I got corruption.

From earlier:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B1JH_wU1qqN4N2FmZjBjY2QtZGExZS00YTQxLWE3ZmUtMDJhZmU5NTA1YTA3&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

This was before I saved.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B1JH_wU1qqN4ZDYyMmNmODMtMDVkMy00YmFmLWIwMzUtZjg5MjcwOWFkZDU4&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

This was after.  Notice that certain characters have become spaces again.  Like "Toy Box" becoming "To Box" in both places, same with "To  oldier".  I still can't be certain that it happened on loading or saving but I feel pretty sure it happens on saving.  Something is wrong here.

edit:  And there is a pattern.  It seems to happen around similar words or letters.  For example "1:35 Soldier"  has become "1:35  oldier"

edit 2:

I cannot get "Snake Spe  Javelin"  to return to "Snake Spear"  Every time I save and reload it is back as that again.

That's not very helpful.

..."Unhelpful".

I had already told him there was a bug and explained it a few times in detail,  I assumed he had remembered.  You should read back before casting stones.  Also "eventually you will find it"  means "Eventually you will find what caused the bug".

There is a serious text bug with your tool...  eventually you will find it

There is a serious text bug with your tool, eventually you will find the bug.
« Last Edit: 2010-11-22 16:27:41 by DLPB »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #809 on: 2010-11-24 17:07:02 »
The problem with the text is this:

That's not very helpful.

..."Unhelpful".

I had already told him there was a bug and explained it a few times in detail,  I assumed he had remembered.  You should read back before casting stones.  Also "eventually you will find it"  means "Eventually you will find what caused the bug".

I hoped it was clear from the semantic redundancy of 'not helpful, opposite of helpful... un-helpful (proposed tentatively)' that all this was supposed to be taken light-heartedly. Not everything is an attack!

At any rate, NFITC1, what editor did you use for your help files? Framemaker? Arbortext? Madcap Flare? As an aspiring technical writer, I've an interest in your experience with certain tools.

« Last Edit: 2010-12-13 00:38:19 by Bosola »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #810 on: 2010-11-24 21:52:18 »
...NFITC1, what editor did you use for your help files? Framemaker? Arbortext? Madcap Flare? As an aspiring technical writer, I've an interest in your experience with certain tools.

I think I'm using HelpMaker. I could be wrong since I lost it after a computer replacement.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #811 on: 2010-11-25 10:20:26 »
Adobe Framemaker: £950
Adobe Robohelp: £900
PTC Arbortext: £850
Madcap Flare: £800
HelpMaker: £0

I think I see a reason. A grand (what's that, like $1700?) is a lot to spend to make a .CHM file.

What's it like, though? I don't know if you've used the other apps (help builders and 'document processors'), but how powerful is it? Can you do things like create dynamic content (eg certain details all come from an XML file, which are regenerated when you update the file), or use things like DITA (enforced structural rules)?

Or is it something more barebones (which is not always a bad thing)?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: 2010-11-25 14:54:19 »
Adobe Framemaker: £950
Adobe Robohelp: £900
PTC Arbortext: £850
Madcap Flare: £800
HelpMaker: £0

I think I see a reason. A grand (what's that, like $1700?) is a lot to spend to make a .CHM file.

You're forgetting to use Adobe's special exchange rate of £1=$1. In fact, I believe I've seen Adobe products whose price in £ is higher than their price in $. Absolutely ridiculous; digital downloads don't exactly have high shipping costs.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: 2010-11-25 15:44:23 »
yes it is the same conversion rate from euro to pounds as well.  Rip off Britain.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #814 on: 2010-11-25 18:44:33 »
So...I could fly out to the US, pick up a boxed copy of Framemaker, and head back to London... and still save maybe £300 (approx $500)?

Rip-off Britain, indeed.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #815 on: 2010-11-25 19:09:27 »
What's it like, though? I don't know if you've used the other apps (help builders and 'document processors'), but how powerful is it? Can you do things like create dynamic content (eg certain details all come from an XML file, which are regenerated when you update the file), or use things like DITA (enforced structural rules)?

Or is it something more barebones (which is not always a bad thing)?

It seemed pretty basic to me, but that's all I wanted. It's not too complicated to use and makes pretty small files. I don't know about dynamic content though since all I really wanted was a categorized structure.

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: 2010-12-13 12:33:51 »
I have a problem with WallMarket. Related to Kernel2.bin.

I added some more text to describe some spells and stuff in a more in-depth manner (I re-thought a couple magics, etc), managed to save my changes (and they work in-game, since I can see my new descriptions), but WM doesn't see my changes anymore. Everytime I load my kernel.bin in WM, it's as if kernel2.bin reverted to its original self (whereas it's still heavily modified, as shown in-game). And yes, the PC mode is still enabled, and I'm using v1.4.5.0.

So, the game handles my many changes to kernel2.bin, but it looks like WM doesn't. The sad thing in this story is, I have more changes to implement to the text, but since I can't use WM to type them anymore, I'd have to use a hex editor :(

I'm sending you my kernel2.bin by email, so if you could check it out NFITC1, it would be much appreciated.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #817 on: 2010-12-13 15:26:16 »
I have a problem with WallMarket. Related to Kernel2.bin.

I added some more text to describe some spells and stuff in a more in-depth manner (I re-thought a couple magics, etc), managed to save my changes (and they work in-game, since I can see my new descriptions), but WM doesn't see my changes anymore. Everytime I load my kernel.bin in WM, it's as if kernel2.bin reverted to its original self (whereas it's still heavily modified, as shown in-game). And yes, the PC mode is still enabled, and I'm using v1.4.5.0.

So, the game handles my many changes to kernel2.bin, but it looks like WM doesn't. The sad thing in this story is, I have more changes to implement to the text, but since I can't use WM to type them anymore, I'd have to use a hex editor :(

I'm sending you my kernel2.bin by email, so if you could check it out NFITC1, it would be much appreciated.

Are you loading from pieces you've made before? Otherwise I couldn't offer much explanation.

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #818 on: 2010-12-13 16:13:30 »
No, I load directly from the kernels, and there are no kernel pieces in the directory.
« Last Edit: 2010-12-13 19:12:23 by Armorvil »

Pain316

• View Profile
« Reply #819 on: 2010-12-15 21:36:53 »
First off thank you to NFITC1 and Qhimm in general for without them modding FFVII for me would be an impossibility.

But I was hoping someone could help me with what should be a simple problem. I have been trying to change the weapon models using the latest version of Walmarket (i.e. give the Buster Sword, which has the model # of "00" the appearance of the Murasame, which has the model # of 09) but to no avail. When I attempt this, I get a windows error message stating "unhandled exception has occurred in your application" and gives me the option to close or continue. If I close it terminates Walmarket and that's that. If I choose to continue the value of "09" will instantly revert back to the value of "00" upon attempting to do ANYthing else, including saving my kernel.BIN. I suppose this would also be a good time to mention I am attempting to mod a PSX Kernel file. Any help is appreciated, and thanks once again to all those responsible for this wonderful site and Modding Tools contained therein. (And ass kissing fest is officially over.....now!  ;D

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #820 on: 2010-12-16 12:17:57 »
...I have been trying to change the weapon models using the latest version of Walmarket (i.e. give the Buster Sword, which has the model # of "00" the appearance of the Murasame, which has the model # of 09) but to no avail. When I attempt this, I get a windows error message stating "unhandled exception has occurred in your application" and gives me the option to close or continue. If I close it terminates Walmarket and that's that. If I choose to continue the value of "09" will instantly revert back to the value of "00" upon attempting to do ANYthing else, including saving my kernel.BIN. I suppose this would also be a good time to mention I am attempting to mod a PSX Kernel file. Any help is appreciated...

Frikin' heck! That's apparently been a problem as far back as 1.3.3 (a whole year ago) and no one has mentioned it to me?! It doesn't revert back for me, but it's likely not saving that change. It's some index-out-of-range error and those are usually easy to fix. I'll see if I can find some time today to look at that. It should be an isolated enough thing to fix.

Actually, this shouldn't be happening in the latest version it isn't happening to me. I have 1.3.3 on my desktop at home because I'm lazy. The problem exists there, but I can't get it to happen in the newest version.
« Last Edit: 2010-12-16 13:47:27 by NFITC1 »

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #821 on: 2010-12-16 19:13:39 »
I don't have this problem either. In any case, you really have no idea what happens to my kernel2.bin ? The only thing I did was text-editing... ...It really can't be fixed ?  :(

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #822 on: 2010-12-16 19:39:37 »
I don't have this problem either. In any case, you really have no idea what happens to my kernel2.bin ? The only thing I did was text-editing... ...It really can't be fixed ?  :(

I'm still looking at it. Initially I'd say it got saved wrong, but I'm still checking. Have you tried opening it in Teioh?

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #823 on: 2010-12-16 21:30:40 »
I totally forgot about Teioh ! Thanks for reminding me, I'm gonna try it ASAP.

EDIT:

Wow, now this is amusing. Upon loading it, Teioh says that it is not a Kernel2.bin file. I click OK on this message window, and still notice that the program loaded my text (in the command tab, I read my "you need the item materia to use items" stuff, etc). But the program crashed, as the mouse cursor is eternally blocked into its hourglass form (until I close Teioh, of course).

Apparently, the file got corrupted (after my many changes, I guess) somehow. The weird thing is, the game itself doesn't seem to mind about this corruption. Only utilities see it with a bad eye.
« Last Edit: 2010-12-16 21:44:07 by Armorvil »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #824 on: 2010-12-17 12:16:41 »
I totally forgot about Teioh ! Thanks for reminding me, I'm gonna try it ASAP.

EDIT:

Wow, now this is amusing. Upon loading it, Teioh says that it is not a Kernel2.bin file. I click OK on this message window, and still notice that the program loaded my text (in the command tab, I read my "you need the item materia to use items" stuff, etc). But the program crashed, as the mouse cursor is eternally blocked into its hourglass form (until I close Teioh, of course).

Apparently, the file got corrupted (after my many changes, I guess) somehow. The weird thing is, the game itself doesn't seem to mind about this corruption. Only utilities see it with a bad eye.

I'm lad Teioh didn't work any better. I was going to cry if it did. :)