Author Topic: IT'S OVER! SONY IS FINISHED!  (Read 26090 times)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
IT'S OVER! SONY IS FINISHED!
« on: 2011-04-26 23:36:19 »
My, my, my. Things aren't looking very good for Sony, are they?

Finnish consumer rights groups and some EU courts have deemed the removal of OtherOS illegal, hackers are running rampant with software hacks that could lead to mass piracy on a console with slim profit margins and PSN has been down for a week.

What's more, it looks like Sony might have lost your credit card information. It has certainly lost a lot of your other personal details.

There's a lesson to be learnt from all of this: don't mess with neckbeards. If you stop us from installing Linux on every electrical or even mechanical device we can find, we'll fuck your shit right up. And by "we", I mean "they".

The only way the PS3 will be able to recover is if it gets some games.

Sony status:

[  ] Told
[  ] Really Told
[X] TOLDASAURUS REX
[X] No country for told men
[X] Knights of the told Republic
[X] Cash4told.com
[X] ToldSpice
[X] The Elder Tolds IV: Oblivious
[X] Command & Conquer: Toldberian Sun
[X] GuiTold Hero: World Told
[X] Told King of Boletaria
[X] Countold Strike
[X] Unreal Toldament
[X] Stone-told Steve Austin
[X] Half Life 2: Episode Told
[X] World of Warcraft: Catoldclysm
[X] Roller Coaster Toldcoon
[X] Assassin's Creed: Tolderhood
[X] Battletolds
[X] S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shatold of Chernobyl
[X] Toldasauraus Rex 2: Electric Toldaloo
[X] Told of Duty 4: Modern Toldfare
[X] Pokemon Told and Silver
[X] Rampage: Toldal Destruction
[X] Told Fortress Classic
[X] Toldman: Arkham Told
[X] The Good, The Bad, and The Told
[X] Super Mario SunTold
[X] Legend of Zelda: Toldacarnia of Time
[X] Toldstone creamery
[X] Mario Golf: Toldstool Tour
[X] Super Told Boy
[X] Left 4 Told
[X] Battoldfield: Bad Company 2
[X] Toldman Sachs
[X] Conker's Bad Fur Day: Live and Retolded
[X] Lead and Told: Gangs of the Wild West
[X] Portold 2
[X] Avatold: The Last Airbender
[X] Dragon Ball Z Toldkaichi Budokai
[X] Toldcraft II: Tolds of Toldberty
[X] Leo Toldstoy
[X] Metal Gear Toldid 3: Snake Eater
[X] 3D Dot Told Heroes
[X] Told you that ps3 has no games
[X] LitTOLD Big Planet
[X] Rome: Toldal War
[X] Gran Toldrismo 5
[X] Told Calibur 4
[X] Told Fortress 2
[X] Tic-Tac-Told
[X] Castlevania: RonTold of Blood
[X] Guilty Gear XX Accent Told
[X] Cyndaquil, Chicorita, and Toldodile
[X] was foretold
[X] demon's told
[X] http//:www.youtold.com
[X] Tolden Sun: Dark Dawn
[X] J.R.R Toldkien's Lord of the Told
[X] The Legend of Eldorado : The Lost City of Told

Verdict:

BUTTANNIHILATED!

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Re: IT'S OVER! SONY IS FINISHED!
« Reply #1 on: 2011-04-26 23:40:10 »
About time, hopefully they just reinstate it for everyone, but i doubt it will happen that way. Maybe sony is just saying that they were hacked and credit card numbers were exposed? I bet they are racking up the cards to generate 'profit'. Unfortunately my credit card could be one of the ones used.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-04-26 23:41:39 »
About time, hopefully they just reinstate it for everyone, but i doubt it will happen that way. Maybe sony is just saying that they were hacked and credit card numbers were exposed? I bet they are racking up the cards to generate 'profit'. Unfortunately my credit card could be one of the ones used.

Even I bought things using that service (Valkyria Chronicles DLC, as it happens). Thankfully, since tens of millions of people's data was harvested, there might be security through obscurity.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 2011-04-26 23:42:12 »
Various told statuses

Did you ad-lib these, or have you been saving them for a rainy day?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-04-26 23:46:04 »
Did you ad-lib these, or have you been saving them for a rainy day?

Just copypasta, I'm afraid. But it's nice to have the opportunity to use them.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 2011-04-26 23:47:40 »
Still, what on earth is happening at Sony these days? They used to have the world at their feet. Now they're falling apart like a wet cake. Where did it go so wrong?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-04-26 23:52:32 »
Still, what on earth is happening at Sony these days? They used to have the world at their feet. Now they're falling apart like a wet cake. Where did it go so wrong?

After crushing the competition with the PSX and PS2, they got so arrogant that they turned into the Apple of the gaming industry: high prices, shiny crap with NO GAEMS and massively unwarranted confidence in their security.

Something similar happened to Nintendo after they'd won two generations in a row. After the Gamecube, I thought they were dead and buried. Maybe Sony will get their act together in time for PS5.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-04-26 23:58:38 »
What happened is they've been raiding the homes of hackers and suing plenty of other people.  Karma is a bitch.  I hope their reputation is permanently ruined.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 2011-04-26 23:59:14 »
After crushing the competition with the PSX and PS2, they got so arrogant that they turned into the Apple of the gaming industry

Did it not happen a little earlier? Remember the PS2 marketing machine, with all its guff about the 'Emotion Engine', with official PSX mags sincerely posing the console as a 'supercomputer'? Remember the 'visual poetry' that came with the early demo discs, the pretentious ads and the console's ridiculous visual design?

Actually, come to think of it, the PS2 was less a massive success, than a consummate failure saved only by sheer numbers. Consider how the early PlayStation network flopped, how Sony's DLC plans never came to fruition before the PS3, and how the PS2 + HDD + Digital Video Recorder combo 'PSX' sank millions of wasted resources. I wonder if the rot started quite early, just masked by the sheer numbers guaranteed by the brand power of the earlier console?

As for Sony's sue happy nature, that started loooong ago. Ask Halkun! Or maybe the guys from Bleem.
« Last Edit: 2011-04-27 00:09:50 by Bosola »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-04-27 00:03:05 »
Bleem is a company though. 

And I was under the impression that Halkun, and the likes of Chrono Trigger Resurrection, only received C&D's

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 2011-04-27 00:05:27 »
It isn't as if Sony's paranoia is a recent thing, though. I wonder if the PSOne's massive marketshare convinced Sony that they, and they alone, were the one and only focus of warez groups?
« Last Edit: 2011-04-27 00:08:19 by Bosola »

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-04-27 00:53:10 »
"Finnish consumer rights groups and some EU courts have deemed the removal of OtherOS illegal"

Got a source I can read, curiosity has the better of me here?

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 2011-04-27 00:57:24 »
Those chubby neckbeards sure can motivate themselves when you take away their Loonix.
« Last Edit: 2011-04-27 01:01:36 by Bosola »

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #13 on: 2011-04-27 04:24:48 »
There is nothing in this world thats more dangerous than a mass of pissed off Linuxbeards

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-04-27 06:18:32 »
IT'S THE YEAR OF LINUX ON THE PS3!

Jari

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-04-27 07:44:46 »
"Finnish consumer rights groups and some EU courts have deemed the removal of OtherOS illegal"

Got a source I can read, curiosity has the better of me here?

http://www.kuluttajariita.fi/lautakunnan-ratkaisuja/?action=read&id=783

In short; consumer bought a PS3 on first of April, last year - the very same day Fony released an update which removed support for OtherOS. Consumer demanded 150 euros for compensation - bit more than half of what he paid for PS3 - because the console no longer worked as advertised; you could either run Linux on it, or you could update it and play online, but not both.

The seller declined to pay, arguing that the consumer had entered into an agreement with Fony, and had performed the update on his own; seller had nothing to do with either.

Fony declined to pay, arguing that blah blah, security concerns, more blah blah, consumer has agreed to licensing terms, blah blah.

Consumer disputes board ruled that there is an obvious defect in the product, and that license agreements can not overrule Winnish law - consumer protection law in this case - and recommends (it's not a court of law, after all, just a consumer disputes board...) Fony and/or the seller pay 100 euros compensation to the consumer.

I'd assume that the seller and/or Fony will pay, it's not much money and if they won't, the neckbeard might take them to an akshual civil court, and would rather likely win.

Cloudef

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011-04-27 09:43:20 »
Nowadays business model :
Buy something, yet still don't own it.

Open source is still the way to go, it seems.

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #17 on: 2011-04-27 12:30:16 »
Nowadays business model :
Buy something, yet still don't own it.

Open source is still the way to go, it seems.

like most ppl you have confused the terms you want FREE software as free software includes a free license (gpl,lgpl) open source softwre does not have to have ANY freedom associated with it.

read more below
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2011-04-27 13:24:48 »
I very much doubt Sony is finished.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2011-04-27 14:02:06 »
the neckbeard might take them to an akshual civil court, and would rather likely win.
Crossing my fingers for this one.

bazman123

« Reply #20 on: 2011-04-27 14:25:45 »
I hope sony is not finished because they are with out doubt the shining force of the games industry at the mo with out them we woukd have crappy second rate consoles like the xbox 360 and the god awful terrible wii the worst console ever, yes sony have got a bit lacks in there security but it does not help with persistint hackers who i think should have there house raided and computers taken awaythey should be made an example of and as for the linux issue it truly is a hunk of crap and I can understand why sony wont give any money back if people try and install it on there system freeware operating systems never a good idea because security related issues are going to always be a problem in fact linux should be shutdown as well as company because they are a source of a lot of troubles or microsoft should just buy them out.

Cloudef

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2011-04-27 14:33:24 »
like most ppl you have confused the terms you want FREE software as free software includes a free license (gpl,lgpl) open source softwre does not have to have ANY freedom associated with it.

read more below
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html

No.. Read my post again.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2011-04-27 15:36:49 »
linux should be shutdown as well as company because they are a source of a lot of troubles or microsoft should just buy them out.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: 2011-04-27 15:37:55 »
I hope sony is not finished because they are with out doubt the shining force of the games industry at the mo with out them we woukd have crappy second rate consoles like the xbox 360 and the god awful terrible wii the worst console ever, yes sony have got a bit lacks in there security but it does not help with persistint hackers who i think should have there house raided and computers taken awaythey should be made an example of and as for the linux issue it truly is a hunk of crap and I can understand why sony wont give any money back if people try and install it on there system freeware operating systems never a good idea because security related issues are going to always be a problem in fact linux should be shutdown as well as company because they are a source of a lot of troubles or microsoft should just buy them out.

Woah. Punctuation, much?

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2011-04-27 15:46:43 »
>1st post

>Defending Sony

8)