Author Topic: I want to play my way through ALL the games!  (Read 3030 times)

I want to play my way through ALL the games!
« on: 2020-01-03 13:16:07 »
Like i said: i want to play my way through all Final fantasy games from 1 to 15, except the mmo's. I allready finished 9, 10, 10-2 and 12 in the past so i'm going to skip those. I have a DS, 3ds, switch and pocketgo for emulation. Who can help me figure out wich games are best on what systems? Especially the early ones?

Gensoul

• View Profile
Re: I want to play my way through ALL the games!
« Reply #1 on: 2020-01-06 18:11:33 »
It depends on the experience you want. For 1-6, if you want the original experience, just use NES and SNES emulators.

If you like remakes: The PSP remakes for 1-4 got the most love. The DS versions of 3 and 4 are decent.
For 5 and 6 remakes you're stuck with GBA or mobile. The steam versions are just ports of the phone versions, but with some modding they come out on top.

For 7 and 8: PC with mods are by far the best. AI backgrounds and rebuilt models are awesome!

For the 13s and 15 both PC and console versions are pretty much the same.

Here are some great comparison charts: https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantasy/wiki/whichversion

Using only the systems you mentioned, I'd go for the PS1 version of 1&2, DS versions of 3 and 4, GBA versions of 5 and 6 (for bonus content), Switch version of 7, and PS1 version of 8.

That PocketGo is a neat little system. It's like a hacked PSP that can't play PSP games. LOL!

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #2 on: 2020-01-06 20:19:32 »
Three is best on DS. There is no PSP for it, sadly. The PSP makes 1, 2, and 4+ outstanding to play! 3 is still mediocre, but not unbearable. The grind is real. :P

The originals of the 2D FFs do not age well. Each of them have some pretty disappointing flaws that remakes fix.

Nearly half of the magics in 1 don't work right.
Encounter rate of 2 is way too high.
3 isn't balanced well at all with difficulty spikes galore. (retargeting still doesn't exist in the remake and there are still some sharp difficulty spikes, though fewer of them.)
4 has a disappointingly small inventory system and never gives you a choice of party members.

5 and 6 have a PSX port that don't differ enough from the source to make them worth playing. They're basically the SNES versions with longer loading times and some translation fixes. The GBAs and on use a better script and have additional content. The mobile versions at least have a decent viewing aspect, but the Steam ports look ugly as sin with background tiles that don't match up and sprites that don't look like they were designed at the same time.

FF7, off course, has not officially been remade or updated at all. Any release after 1998 is just fine, but the music and FMVs suck on PC without mods.
FF8 should be on steam. No mods needed, but there are some that make it look "better".

If you can get your hands on 12 Zodiac Age you might find it fun.

KaidenJames

• It's cuz of the !@#$ 'pizza'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2020-01-07 00:24:03 »
I played VI for the first time a couple years ago. I was going to get the Steam version and my roommate stopped me very quickly lol. I played the SNES version with a couple patches (uncensored and color?) on my PC and I LOVED it. VI immediately became my 3rd favorite Final Fantasy. I can't recommend the best way to play VIII because I hated that game and have only gotten as far as the third disc lol.

If you want like an all in one place to play, if your Switch is hacked I think you can play every Final Fantasy you're wanting to play except the 13 series (which I personally also didn't like) on one portable machine through RetroArch and official Switch releases (VII, VIII, IX, X/X-2, and XII which is the Zodiac Version as well I believe.

Keep in mind I haven't tried or looked into DS/3ds Emulation on the Switch but I'm going to guess it's not full speed. So the DS remakes might not work on the Switch. The PSP versions of I, II, and IV should run great on the Switch though! Crisis Core runs full speed for me so. Anyways, whatever you choose, have fun!!

Edit: They're not on your list BUT Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX or PSP, PSX runs better) and Tactics Advanced (GBA) are AMAZING games. I actually love playing Tactics on my Switch.
« Last Edit: 2020-01-07 00:29:45 by KaidenJames »

Gensoul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2020-01-07 14:51:33 »
Three is best on DS. There is no PSP for it, sadly.

There is a Final Fantasy 3 PSP, but it's 3D, not sprite based, same as the DS version.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #5 on: 2020-01-07 15:39:31 »
There is a Final Fantasy 3 PSP, but it's 3D, not sprite based, same as the DS version.

Huh. That's a 2012 game. I only had the DS and didn't know there was anything after that other than the mobile ports. The PSP one looks like a port of the mobile port which is a port of the DS one. :)

greator

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2020-01-11 18:32:01 »
If you love great graphics in 7,8 & 9, go for the PC mods. But if you want great experience, play it on PSX (or PS2). Because real analog movement control and dual shock really makes the game feels great, especially on 8 & 9.

There's 2 version of 4, 3d and sprite, but the best version is on PSP which is only in sprite.

5 & 6 throw away the snes version and get the mobile version if you like graphics or PSX version for the classic Super FX effect and CG intro.

PeterBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2020-01-14 19:35:56 »
If you love great graphics in 7,8 & 9, go for the PC mods. But if you want great experience, play it on PSX (or PS2). Because real analog movement control and dual shock really makes the game feels great, especially on 8 & 9.

There's 2 version of 4, 3d and sprite, but the best version is on PSP which is only in sprite.

5 & 6 throw away the snes version and get the mobile version if you like graphics or PSX version for the classic Super FX effect and CG intro.
Agreed! PSX is amazing and provide ultimate gaming experience. I love dual shock feature