Author Topic: [PSX/PC] Materia Equip-Effects Editor - MateriaKeeper (1.2)  (Read 11276 times)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
This is a tool written in C# for modifying the stat bonuses/penalties given by Materia. It can modify an ff7.exe, ff7_en.exe, or a ff7.iso/bin/img from the PAL/NTSC regions.

Materia Keeper v1.3

Source: Github Repository

Requires:
-) PC with .NET (most PCs with a modern OS will have this)

Features:
-) Can modify ff7.exe, ff7_en.exe, or a .bin, .img, .iso file
-) Option to revert an opened file's values back to the default
-) Print a hext-edit ready .txt document listing all offsets + hex values (PC & PSX)

Potential Issues
-) The file validation is fairly basic; avoid using this tool on files it wasn't designed to be used on.

I put this together as a coding project to get more familiar with making tools and moving onto more complex projects (plus it helps with my programming). Any feedback on how the tool functions and the code itself would be welcome; I stuck with a method I was familiar with from college but there's likely better ways to go about it. I definitely need some pointers on file verification because the way the tool currently checks for a valid file isn't strong enough (especially for PSX files).

Thanks to RedXIV & DLPB on the Discord for testing the tool out and providing feedback.
« Last Edit: 2019-07-21 01:58:10 by Sega Chief »

Chrysalis

• ESUI Developer
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
Just tried this out as seems an awesome idea.

I have no stats outside of -127 to 128 range, they not even outside of suggested range so only 2 digits.

But I get a prompt saying this when trying to create txt file for patch.

"Error: Please check values entered are between -127 > 128"

Screenshot below of values

--edit--

I get the same error if I load it up and press txt whilst its on default values as well.
« Last Edit: 2019-07-18 07:18:42 by Chrysalis »

markul

• View Profile
GuardScorpion project xD
It looks nice.The best its that it works in psx version :O
Nice work and thanks to share the project .

Chrysalis

• ESUI Developer
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
After I rebooted PC I tried it again and the range error vanished.

Functionally after that is done it looks good, the only issue I see left is that if the txt file is already created and you hit txt again, it will ask if you want to overwrite but wont actually, I get a box saying test -> delete.  But if I manually delete the old file it makes a new one ok. 

My request is if a file can also be generated using hext addresses not hex edit, so memory based addresses instead of exe.

I can supply the starting addresses for each 16 byte's.

So instead of

Code: [Select]
4FD8C8
4FD8D8
4FD8E8
4FD8F8
4FD908
4FD918
4FD928
4FD938
4FD948
4FD958
4FD968
4FD978
4FD988
4FD998
4FD9A8
4FD9B8
4FD9C8
4FD9D8
4FD9E8
4FD9F8

For the hext patch file use these addresses (same order)

Code: [Select]
8FEEC8
8FEED8
8FEEE8
8FEEF8
8FEF08
8FEF18
8FEF28
8FEF38
8FEF48
8FEF58
8FEF68
8FEF78
8FEF88
8FEF98
8FEFA8
8FEFB8
8FEFC8
8FEFD8
8FEFE8
8FEFF8

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
After I rebooted PC I tried it again and the range error vanished.

Functionally after that is done it looks good, the only issue I see left is that if the txt file is already created and you hit txt again, it will ask if you want to overwrite but wont actually, I get a box saying test -> delete.  But if I manually delete the old file it makes a new one ok. 

I updated the tool slightly just now; it can now overwrite old hext files that have been generated in its root folder, corrected a few typos, and added a new button to generate a 7h ready (or HextLaunch ready) .txt file.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
...added a new button to generate a 7h ready (or HextLaunch ready) .txt file.

Very nice. Thank you :)

Chrysalis

• ESUI Developer
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
Thanks for filling my feature request so quickly Sega Chief :)

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
The next WallMarket will be able to support changed values. Just FYI. :)

SegaCheif... i don't know if you will see this...But when modding a iso with materia keeper and searching for erros using eccregen 1.4 has a error inside...

Sorry for send this reply maybe you will not see this or update this program

TurBoss

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • View Profile

cloudiar

• View Profile
Re: [PSX/PC] Materia Equip-Effects Editor - MateriaKeeper (1.2)
« Reply #10 on: 2020-10-22 00:12:08 »
« Last Edit: 2020-10-27 14:39:35 by cloudiar »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2020-10-26 16:40:26 »
It would be fair that you recognize, your program is based on the Turboss code (this already worked for me previously), you should not only show him, but also put the first one in the credits, he undoubtedly deserves it, and you know it, but everyone should know .

You did the same with my Yuffie scene, in this case you didn't use my code, but if you plagiarized practically the entire scene, you should have mentioned me since no one knows that the original scene is mine.

In any case right now it does not matter, but Turboss deserves it, greetings.

So first of all, the MateriaKeeper tool wasn't plagiarised from anyone. It was coded from scratch in C# and wasn't based on anyone else's code; Turboss' tool is also in Python which is a different programming language. I'd be very curious to learn what you're basing that accusation on but for all intents and purposes it's incorrect.

As for your Yuffie scene, before NT was released I uploaded a video of it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbMC4e8AkCc) and I asked you if it was all right to proceed; you said it was, so I included it. I'll check through the credits of the forum thread and the documentation; if it's missing I'll add it. But I don't appreciate you giving me a green light to use the concept and then turning around and lashing out at me about it 5 years later without warning, especially after I tried to help you out with that Vincent thing.

cloudiar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2020-10-27 14:39:20 »
I know it is written in another language, but whatever you use, the logical thing is to credit even if the code used is offset.

Turboss deserved some mention, surely you saved time for its program, but I repeat, sorry if it has bothered you, I have deleted the message ..

With my scene you know that I prefer that they wait for me to finish it and that they take the code, but you plagiarized it without prior notice, I cannot ask you to remove it because it is rewritten by you, what am I going to say?

I have seen enough people play and people clapping for a scene that is really mine, without knowing the real author, but that is no longer important.

Forget this, sorry for what happened and good luck with your project.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2020-10-27 16:19:26 »
I know it is written in another language, but whatever you use, the logical thing is to credit even if the code used is offset.

Turboss deserved some mention, surely you saved time for its program, but I repeat, sorry if it has bothered you, I have deleted the message ..

With my scene you know that I prefer that they wait for me to finish it and that they take the code, but you plagiarized it without prior notice, I cannot ask you to remove it because it is rewritten by you, what am I going to say?

I have seen enough people play and people clapping for a scene that is really mine, without knowing the real author, but that is no longer important.

Forget this, sorry for what happened and good luck with your project.

The offset for materia values? I didn't get that from Turboss, that's been community knowledge for years. If he originally found that offset and wants to be credited then I guess that can be done but I've no idea who actually reversed that information originally. The PC offset I was given by someone years ago and I used the default values from a PC exe to do a hextstring search in a NTSC English ISO to get the PSX offset (though this likely won't apply to non-NTSC English discs; it doesn't match the japanese original version's offset for instance; it's something I need to cover in the tool at some point).

When I did the video showing my version of that scene it wasn't in a public NT build yet; I'd incorrectly assumed at the time that your OVA project was abandoned but then I found out from you that it was actually still underway. So we had a conversation and you said it would be okay for me to go ahead and implement my version into NT on the understanding that I don't do it with any of your other stuff, which I agreed to; I would have absolutely removed it if you'd asked me to, as it is your concept.

cloudiar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2020-10-27 18:30:04 »
The offset for materia values? I didn't get that from Turboss, that's been community knowledge for years. If he originally found that offset and wants to be credited then I guess that can be done but I've no idea who actually reversed that information originally. The PC offset I was given by someone years ago and I used the default values from a PC exe to do a hextstring search in a NTSC English ISO to get the PSX offset (though this likely won't apply to non-NTSC English discs; it doesn't match the japanese original version's offset for instance; it's something I need to cover in the tool at some point).

When I did the video showing my version of that scene it wasn't in a public NT build yet; I'd incorrectly assumed at the time that your OVA project was abandoned but then I found out from you that it was actually still underway. So we had a conversation and you said it would be okay for me to go ahead and implement my version into NT on the understanding that I don't do it with any of your other stuff, which I agreed to; I would have absolutely removed it if you'd asked me to, as it is your concept.
Even if you use the concept of my scene, I know that is a lot of work, for that reason I did not want to reject you.

To finish I have to say, although I did not like the result, you did not do things wrong as Kugen, that is the truth.

Forget what happened, I feel sincere your mod is excellent, with my scene or without it, but you've also been in this for years, you will understand me when I tell you ... finish it now, man!

Accept the apologies, regards.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2020-10-27 21:40:15 »
Even if you use the concept of my scene, I know that is a lot of work, for that reason I did not want to reject you.

To finish I have to say, although I did not like the result, you did not do things wrong as Kugen, that is the truth.

Forget what happened, I feel sincere your mod is excellent, with my scene or without it, but you've also been in this for years, you will understand me when I tell you ... finish it now, man!

Accept the apologies, regards.

I understand, and for what it's worth I'm sorry about how things worked out. Good luck with your mod as well.

Shampignon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2020-12-13 00:06:37 »
Hello Sega Chief,

I used your program to change the Materia's effects, but it doesn't match in game.
I opened a FF7.exe (french version, I don't know if it can have an impact), made my changes and clicked on the "patch" option. When I re-open my FF7.exe, my changes are still there, but I can't see these in Wall Market, and in the game, it's the default effects which are displayed.

Do you know what I done wrong ?

Thank you.

satsuki

• View Profile
    • My softs (french only)
« Reply #17 on: 2020-12-13 07:01:39 »
offsets are specific to each exe, so this soft can't mod anything but us exe version

Shampignon

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2020-12-13 13:15:10 »
Ah shit ( :P)
C'est ce que je craignais, merci Satsuki !

wakkoswami

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2023-09-21 13:57:19 »
This doesn't seem to work properly for the psx version? Some values get changed but others don't.

I tried going to the 4FD88 offset listed in MateriaOffsets.txt with a hex editor and changing some things that way, but it didn't seem to work either even though the values matched up.

Anyone have any more info on how to edit these effects for the ps1 version?

Kaiseran

• My best games is the RPGs and top is FF7 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2023-10-19 15:25:33 »
This is a tool written in C# for modifying the stat bonuses/penalties given by Materia. It can modify an ff7.exe, ff7_en.exe, or a ff7.iso/bin/img from the PAL/NTSC regions.

Hello Sega Chief
Thanks a lot for your usefull program you have developed it's amazing for FF7, well done.
I need a favor from you if you accept, that I hope you will fulfill in the next project, I need to add editing the "WINDOW.bin" to change the Latin letters to Arabic letters,
 because I want to translate this wonderful game into Arabic, I tried in various ways to change
Drawing letters from English to Arabic and writing on Latin letters, then I used "CDmage1-02-1B5" for replace the file but does not execute the change command on the letter file that I edited. Therefore, I hope that you will grant me this wish, which is the ability to write in the Arabic language, as well as the possibility of applying the change of letters in the letters file and saving it to the game file.
I apologize for the length of my message.

Thank you so much.

Here WINDOW.bin (letters 20% translated to arabic for test)
https://easyupload.io/avhcq7