Author Topic: [PSX/PC] Battle editor - Proud Clod (1.5.0/FINAL)  (Read 365609 times)

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
Re: Official Proud Clod 1.5.0.α!
« Reply #400 on: 2011-05-02 23:15:01 »
I CAN do something about that, can you elaborate?

Sure. It has to do with the battle flags, in the formation editor. In most cases, they are FFFFFFFF, but sometimes enemies that are not present in the battle right from the start (like the second Mighty Grunt) have a different flag (in Mighty Grunt's case, it's FFE6FFFF). Needless to say, it's rare to want to edit those, but I needed to revert a FFE6FFFF into a FFFFFFFF once, to fix a battle. And since you can't edit them with any version of PrC, I had to dump my scene, hex-edit it, and import it back into PrC. If you try to edit those in PrC, an unhandled exception occurs.

The "Manipulate bit" is immunity to the Manipulate status. Hojo isolated that and left out the status bit PrC marks as "Dual". If you want an enemy to be manipulate-able then make sure the "Manip" status is allowed on the Enemy Stats window.

:-[ Sorry about that, I completely forgot to check the status immunities. Makes sense that it's listed in there :)

I had thought about this. I think I probably should. The item names in the enemy stats and things were leftover place-holders. There should definitely be an "import item names" option somewhere, shouldn't there? It'd be best to read the KERNEL.BIN/kernel2.bin for this rather than a xml-based file.

Yes, that would be great ^^

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #401 on: 2011-05-03 09:30:27 »
Sorry for the double-post, but I noticed a bug.

In the enemy stat editor, cycling between different enemies by repetitively clicking their tabs make the "allowed statuses" boxes disappear after a while.

ff7rules

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: 2011-05-03 12:43:47 »
I have also noticed a bug when you change MP values they don't save. Also the enemy ID doesn't either apart from that i can't see any other problems
« Last Edit: 2011-05-03 12:46:35 by ff7rules »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #403 on: 2011-05-03 14:32:43 »
Sure. It has to do with the battle flags, in the formation editor. In most cases, they are FFFFFFFF, but sometimes enemies that are not present in the battle right from the start (like the second Mighty Grunt) have a different flag (in Mighty Grunt's case, it's FFE6FFFF). Needless to say, it's rare to want to edit those, but I needed to revert a FFE6FFFF into a FFFFFFFF once, to fix a battle. And since you can't edit them with any version of PrC, I had to dump my scene, hex-edit it, and import it back into PrC. If you try to edit those in PrC, an unhandled exception occurs.
Fix'd

Sorry for the double-post, but I noticed a bug.

In the enemy stat editor, cycling between different enemies by repetitively clicking their tabs make the "allowed statuses" boxes disappear after a while.
Fix'd

I have also noticed a bug when you change MP values they don't save. Also the enemy ID doesn't either apart from that i can't see any other problems
Fix'd

Later I'll look into importing the item names from the KERNEL.BIN/kernel2.bin files and I'll re-release.

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: 2011-05-03 18:29:07 »
Awesomesauce =D

EDIT:

I tried to copy a AI script so I could paste it in another enemy's script, but I had an error message. Unfortunately, this message is in french, so I don't think it could help you much. Basically, it states that it couldn't save the data into the clipboard. Weird.

EDIT 2:

Never mind, it must be a problem on my end. The other PrC had the same temporary issue. It's working fine now.

EDIT 3:

Messing up with AI, I found another bug. When you delete lines of code in any AI script, it looks like the lines of code you don't delete get corrupted. It doesn't show up immediately after deleting though, as it's only when you disassemble or close the AI menu/reenter it, that you will notice the corruption. For example, after realizing that the code I entered in the top part of the General Counter script made the game crash, I deleted it and noticed that the 02 2060 line just below it, turned into 00 6002.

Also,PrC doesn't save either, if you try to modify the Allowed Statuses in the EnemyStats window.
« Last Edit: 2011-05-06 23:29:13 by Armorvil »

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #405 on: 2011-05-07 06:25:58 »
love the new additions :D thanks!

DestroGalacticmon

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: 2011-05-10 13:47:11 »
There appears to be a bigger save problem with the Enemy Stat editor. I tried to change everything a little bit out of curiosity after reading these posts stating that some things aren't saving. Well, guess what? I click OK, the window closes, I open the stat editor again, and everything's back the way it was before my touch. :/

In a nutshell, nothing saves. Maybe someone has informed this already, but I'm doing it now just in case.  :evil:

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: 2011-05-10 18:41:18 »
Yeah, I bet NFITC1 fixed it all the first time it was mentioned. I just wish he'd release the fixed version  :'(
I just hope the delay is caused by real-life obligations or new functions tricky to implement - not because NFITC1 lost the will to work on PrC. The latter would suck. A lot.

DestroGalacticmon

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: 2011-05-11 13:03:32 »
Oh! Well, if it's already been fixed then I guess I don't need to complain about anything. :lol:
The latter would suck. A lot.
I know what you mean.. But I highly doubt that would be the case. Not for long, anyway. (will power restores itself :P)

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #409 on: 2011-05-11 22:13:06 »
Yeah, I bet NFITC1 fixed it all the first time it was mentioned. I just wish he'd release the fixed version  :'(
I just hope the delay is caused by real-life obligations or new functions tricky to implement - not because NFITC1 lost the will to work on PrC. The latter would suck. A lot.

Nope. Not the latter. I've been sick for the past few days and lost the will to use my laptop. %P I'm better now and I'll get to it when my IRL work load permits.

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: 2011-05-12 09:58:08 »
Oh, I forgot this possibility. Glad you're feeling better.

Armorvil

• View Profile
Re: Official Proud Clod 1.5.0.α_2!
« Reply #411 on: 2011-06-05 15:57:17 »
Is an Alpha 3 in the works ?... ...I'd love to have only one tool to modify enemies which, as it's slightly annoying to constantly switch between PrC and Hojo (because yes, even in Alpha2 and the tab-switch trick, some values still aren't saved - like the drops/steals, the MP, and the allowed statuses).

EDIT:

Sorry about that, SL. Since my previous post was one month old, and since I had a legitimate question I didn't want to get under NFITC1's radar, I thought double-posting was ok. I'm still confused about why double-posting in such a way would be frown upon, anyway. I can see how double-posting could be disruptive, but in this case ? Not so much.
« Last Edit: 2011-06-05 18:10:06 by Armorvil »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: 2011-06-05 16:40:53 »
No double posting please.

DestroGalacticmon

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: 2011-06-07 20:03:24 »
If it is not too much to ask, could the next release have the model ID letters fitted back? It seems impossible to create a new boss battle because I have no idea which model goes by which ID. :(

Yeah, and now that I really try it, changing the model ID is actually meaningless because the stats still don't save. That's... bad.
I hope you'll get some time to work on it. :P

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: 2011-06-07 20:40:19 »
Sorry about that, SL. Since my previous post was one month old, and since I had a legitimate question I didn't want to get under NFITC1's radar, I thought double-posting was ok. I'm still confused about why double-posting in such a way would be frown upon, anyway. I can see how double-posting could be disruptive, but in this case ? Not so much.

A simple edit would have been sufficient in this case as this topic was still on the first page of topics. It still shows a 'NEW' if you edit something.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: 2011-06-07 21:23:24 »
Does it also rise to the top though?

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: 2011-06-07 21:39:22 »
Nope.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #417 on: 2011-06-08 01:04:23 »
some values still aren't saved - like the drops/steals, the MP, and the allowed statuses).

If it is not too much to ask, could the next release have the model ID letters fitted back? It seems impossible to create a new boss battle because I have no idea which model goes by which ID. :(

Yeah, and now that I really try it, changing the model ID is actually meaningless because the stats still don't save. That's... bad.
I hope you'll get some time to work on it. :P

Fix'd, Fix'd and alpha3 uploaded.

DestroGalacticmon

• View Profile
Re: Official Proud Clod 1.5.0.α_3!
« Reply #418 on: 2011-06-08 07:55:23 »
Yep, all good now. It saves now.
Thanks a lot, man! This'll definitely help.  ;D

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: 2011-06-08 19:22:49 »
I second what Destro said. Stellar program. If I had to address a critic now, it would only be the fact that, as a full-fledged Scene.bin editor, it is somewhat less accessible than Hojo. What I mean is, when you select a particular scene (for example scene 10, with Devil Ride, Kalm Fang & Prowler), you don't instantly see the enemies' stats, drops and the like. You have to click on Enemy Management, then Enemy stats before you can alter (or even see) those. For this reason, if I wanted to edit something Hojo can modify, chances are I'll still open Hojo (quicker access to what I need to be changed, and I can easily compare the stats/drops/awards from one scene enemy to another).

So, I really think the "Enemy stats" window should be the main one, while the attack editor should be an option. The best thing though, would be to have both features in the main window. I'm not a big fan of tab-browsing - the more info you can squeeze into the main window, the better IMO. I admit though, that it's nitpicking on a high level. Two clicks won't kill me (though, rather personal issue : I've been using TeamViewer a lot lately, to control my pc with my ipod when I'm not at home, and two clicks mean something in TeamViewer).

Anyways thank you again, this made my day  :D

EDIT :

So basically, it all comes to this : Proud Clod's only flaw is that it wasn't designed to replace Hojo right from the start. It's an attack editor with a built-in (and improved) Hojo, whereas a scene.bin editor should, IMO, be the opposite. But like I said, it's not so big a deal. I'd even be perfectly happy if 1.5.0.α_3 was the final release.
« Last Edit: 2011-06-08 20:39:24 by Armorvil »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #420 on: 2011-06-08 20:26:27 »
I second what Destro said. Stellar program. If I had to address a critic now, it would only be the fact that, as a full-fledged Scene.bin editor, it is somewhat less accessible than Hojo. What I mean is, when you select a particular scene (for example scene 10, with Devil Ride, Kalm Fang & Prowler), you don't instantly see the enemies' stats, drops and the like. You have to click on Enemy Management, then Enemy stats before you can alter those. For this reason, if I wanted to edit something Hojo can modify, chances are I'll still open Hojo (quicker access to what I need to be changed, and I can easily compare each enemy's stats).

So, I really think the "Enemy stats" window should be the main one, while the attack editor should be an option. The best thing though, would be to have both (or all features ?) in the main window. I'm not a big fan of tab-browsing - the more info you can squeeze into the main window, the better IMO. I admit though, that it's nitpicking on a high level. Two clicks won't kill me (but I've been using Team-Viewer a lot lately, to control my home PC with my ipod when I'm not at home, and two clicks mean something in Team-Viewer).

Anyways thank you again, this made my day  :D

I've intended to make this a suite since adding the AI editing. I don't have the skills to do that yet, but that IS the next bullet point on my TODO list. I'm not crazy about the organization of it all, but as soon as I figure out how to change it to something more accessible I will.

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #421 on: 2011-06-08 20:30:07 »
Ha I understand, thanks for the reply. I'm beyond happy with 1.5.0.α_3 as it is anyways ^_^
Well, time for me to go back to modding :-)

EDIT:

The same problem still occurs : in any given scene, nothing regarding the third enemy's drops/morph/allowed statuses/... can be saved. I don't know if I should laugh or cry.
At this rate, the not-saving bug will truly be "Fix'd" in 1.5.0.α_10.
Small tip : if you have trouble testing things by yourself and need someone to do it before publicly releasing a new version, I'm right here (you should have my email address).

It really looks like you can't try your own program by yourself and only use our feedback to fix things. If that's the case it's no problem (perhaps you don't develop PrC on a computer where FF7 is installed / where a scene.bin is available ?), but please tell us. So instead of typing "many enemy stats aren't saved", we'll list them all so you can fix them once and for all.
« Last Edit: 2011-06-08 22:39:35 by Armorvil »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Re: Official Proud Clod 1.5.0.α_4!
« Reply #422 on: 2011-06-09 13:38:35 »
The same problem still occurs : in any given scene, nothing regarding the third enemy's drops/morph/allowed statuses/... can be saved. I don't know if I should laugh or cry.
At this rate, the not-saving bug will truly be "Fix'd" in 1.5.0.α_10.
Small tip : if you have trouble testing things by yourself and need someone to do it before publicly releasing a new version, I'm right here (you should have my email address).

It really looks like you can't try your own program by yourself and only use our feedback to fix things. If that's the case it's no problem (perhaps you don't develop PrC on a computer where FF7 is installed / where a scene.bin is available ?), but please tell us. So instead of typing "many enemy stats aren't saved", we'll list them all so you can fix them once and for all.

The third enemy? That's oddly specific. I'll take a look. It's likely the index didn't get set properly. Then if it's not throwing an error it might be overwriting another enemy's data.

EDIT:
Fixed it. See blog for more details.
« Last Edit: 2011-06-09 16:00:34 by NFITC1 »

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: 2011-06-09 15:54:56 »
Wow, that was fast !  :o

Downloading Alpha 4 now. Thanks so much for being so reactive :)

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #424 on: 2011-06-09 16:02:17 »
It hit me as I was fixing this that I want to make it more like the tool Square was likely using to create the scene.bin in the first place. What I envision is there are entries for enemies, attacks, and scenes. Specifically, a list of each and a form for each. During saving, the tool would combine them all based on the formation data entries.

Enemy Data:
There would be spaces for 397 enemies (Models AADA - OFDA) that would each have their own stats, animations, required attacks, and AI assigned to them. This will be crucial for keeping enemies "synchronous" between scenes.

Attack Data:
Ranging from index 100h - 7FFFh for the same reason. They would each have attack values like the standard attacks.

Scene Data:
Between 00h - FFh and contain formation data, formation AI, camera placement, and which enemies would be contained within.

All this would be presented in an MDI format (individual windows, not tabbed) and can be used to compare enemies and attacks with each other. If you're familiar with either Morrowind's or Oblivion's Construction Set you know what I mean. Optionally, it would also allow importing of KERNEL.BIN attack data, attack names (both of which trump scene.bin attack data), and item names for consistency's sake. Optimistically, it would also allow importing the char.lgp to actually view the animations (currently this is WAY out of my league).
That's where I'd like this project to ultimately go. That would require a rather substantial re-write of the interface and I'd probably start from scratch on that. Theoretically, this envisioned tool could create a scene.bin file FROM SCRATCH!

Question: Is that what YOU, the end-user, wants?