Author Topic: A few questions regarding the PC FF7.  (Read 13316 times)

Ryusaizo

• Kyaaa
    • View Profile
A few questions regarding the PC FF7.
« on: 2010-07-16 01:49:50 »
1. Was the *^&%*&% Censoring of language removed in the PC version?
2. If not is there a mod that un-censors it?
3. What are the general differences between the two versions? I have mostly played the ps1 version,and a friend has gotten me the pc version for my B-day.

4. If this is in the wrong area please feel free to tell me so.

It was in the wrong spot.  Check the rules please.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-16 02:12:17 by obesebear »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions regarding the PC FF7.
« Reply #1 on: 2010-07-16 02:09:17 »
Nope, it's still there.

Not that I know of. It's difficult to do it well, since it's not always obvious what he's actually saying.

3. What are the general differences between the two versions? I have mostly played the ps1 version,and a friend has gotten me the pc version for my B-day.
The PC version has a few typos corrected (pretty sure there's no "touph ring" in the PC version), and it runs at a higher resolution (640x480 by default, which is twice that of the PSX). It plays pretty much exactly the same, though.

Ryusaizo

• Kyaaa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-07-16 02:24:01 »
While I have your attention I ran into an issue with my game. I have it installed just fine, but when I go to start it I get no Edios vid, and when I start a new game all I get is a black screen. Any solutions?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-07-16 02:52:27 »
You want:
  • The FF7 1.02 patch. You can probably find it with a Google search. Do NOT use the 1.4 patch or the XP patch, as they are unofficial and generally bad for your system.
  • Aali's Custom Graphics Driver. It can be found here, with a bit of searching.

Ryusaizo

• Kyaaa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-07-16 03:06:31 »
Thanks I hope it helps, once I reinstall it. x.x

Mirenheart

• Pone
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-07-16 03:30:31 »
If you want there is a Remix patch here too. It'll add a lot of stuff to your game.

Ryusaizo

• Kyaaa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-07-16 03:36:44 »
Well now I cant reinstall it, when i click install it goes to a my mouse with the hourglass, and then nothing happens. I tried looking in the tech,and ran in safe mode. But it would not find the CD. =/ looks like I wont be able to play x3

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-07-16 04:09:29 »
Nope, it's still there.

Not that I know of. It's difficult to do it well, since it's not always obvious what he's actually saying.

The PC version has a few typos corrected (pretty sure there's no "touph ring" in the PC version), and it runs at a higher resolution (640x480 by default, which is twice that of the PSX). It plays pretty much exactly the same, though.

Covarr, I was always wanting 0% censorship in this game, and throughout my 30+ playthroughs, I have ALWAYS understood what he means by symbols. They even leave the same amount of characters.

If it was "Lets get the hell out of this b*tch!" It'd be lets get the hell out of this #$^&@!"
Or if it said"The shinra fuckers are destroying the planet" (Yes Ive seen instances where they meant fucker), Itd be "Those shinra $%*&^@! are destroying the planet!"
« Last Edit: 2010-07-16 05:01:07 by clouddamann »

Ryusaizo

• Kyaaa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-07-16 04:12:00 »
I got it reinstalled :D, I just made an iso copied the files onto my desktop,went into safe mode and ran the install. now to see if the game will work after I put in the update.

8edit8Well that did not work x.x now it wont read the disks.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-16 04:16:59 by Ryusaizo »

Mirenheart

• Pone
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-07-16 05:05:17 »
What system are you using? 98? Xp? Windows 7?

And did you install the patch first? The 1.02 patch should be the very first thing you put in the game after installing.

Ryusaizo

• Kyaaa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-07-16 05:08:31 »
I am running windows vista, and i do install the patch first thing. But I am guessing since I did not install it from a cd it wont read from my cd's. =/ I am so confused as to why this is happing. So I posted in the tech support.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-07-16 06:05:44 »

Yes although in both you do get the odd "piss" "crap" . 

My re translation project hasn't got a problem using swear words when they are necessary and in context.  The thing is that the Japanese game itself seldom uses real swearing.  Usually it seems to be things like "tch" and negative sounds, whenever you see &^%& generally the Japanese game just does something like "damn" or "tch".  Cid uses English swear words sometimes.  The fact is, the English game goes WAY overboard with swearing, and tries to portray barrett as an idiot mo fo. In other words, the English games use of Swearing is nearly always over the top and wrong. 

take Honeybee Inn, there is a room called The ^%&* Room.  In reality this is "The Love Hive" and there is no swearing here AT ALL.

Translation was slightly improved, grammar errors partially solved.  Someone else can answer the rest....

« Last Edit: 2010-07-16 06:09:02 by seif »

Ryusaizo

• Kyaaa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010-07-16 06:37:48 »
I see, too bad the US had to mess up some perfectly good dialog to make Barret more..gangsta xD

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010-07-16 08:12:35 »
If you wanted to mod it yourself, just use loveless.  You would have no issue using search and replace on certain strings and eventually you will have edited the whole game.

Ryusaizo

• Kyaaa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010-07-16 08:19:27 »
Ahah I am no modder, I can barely even get the game to run xD. I would prolly make the game exxplode into my face.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: 2010-07-16 11:08:33 »

4. If this is in the wrong area please feel free to tell me so.

It was in the wrong spot.  Check the rules please.

1. It &$£@#!* wasn't, no.
2. Final Fantasy VII: Unrestricted Editon makes dialog more 'natural'. This includes uncensoring text.
3. There are very few differences, except that the PC MIDI instruments aren't really up to scratch, so the music sounds a lot worse. A few typos were purged, that's about it.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #16 on: 2010-07-16 14:36:47 »
The PC version has a few typos corrected (pretty sure there's no "touph ring" in the PC version)....

The last time I played through and watched for them, I counted no less than 12 typos. Touph Ring was made into Tough Ring, but I liked the "Touph" a little better because "Tough Ring" sounds stupid as it is. Several item descriptions were re-written or spelled differently (Megalixer's description gained an appropriate apostrophe; "8inch Cannon" became "8-inch Cannon", etc ) thus necessitating the existence of the kernel2.bin file (That way, the PC looks at it for text instead of the last KERNEL.BIN sections).
It is important to note that the game was not re-translated, just corrected.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010-07-16 14:51:24 »
Touph Ring is Toughness Ring (the ness is there) i.e. a ring that raises strength.  And yeah that was corrected in PC to Tough.  Typoon was corrected to Typhon also (I think).  Tseng "Dying" at temple of ancients was also corrected.  A few little things like that....
« Last Edit: 2010-07-16 14:54:47 by seif »

Shankifer

• Jack of all trades - Master of none!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: 2010-07-16 15:23:31 »
WHen you run ISO's are you loading them all at once or one at a time. For some reason FF doesn't like to run with all of it's discs in drives. Just a suggestion.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010-07-16 15:24:38 »
WHen you run ISO's are you loading them all at once or one at a time. For some reason FF doesn't like to run with all of it's discs in drives. Just a suggestion.

You just mount whatever disc you need at the time.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010-07-16 20:27:09 »
its also not really necessary to mount the discs once you install the game. Simply renaming you C: drive to FF7DISC1 is enough to fool the game into playing. Just make sure you modify the registry to look at your C: drive for the CD. Simply change it to FF7DISC2 whenever you need to swap in the next one, and so on. It's the simplest way to swap discs if you dont want a drive emulator running inthe background.

lee

Mirenheart

• Pone
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2010-07-16 22:33:51 »
Oh wait, You load them all at once? Well thar's yer problem.

For some reason, in order to Play FFVII, you must mount the disk image onto the same drive as the install disk was. Like, lets say you mounted the install disk on E:, when you go to play the game, you must mount disk 1, 2, or 3 on drive E:

I don't know why it does this, but I had the same problem. Try it and see if it works.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #22 on: 2010-07-16 22:39:32 »
Oh wait, You load them all at once? Well thar's yer problem.

For some reason, in order to Play FFVII, you must mount the disk image onto the same drive as the install disk was. Like, lets say you mounted the install disk on E:, when you go to play the game, you must mount disk 1, 2, or 3 on drive E:

I don't know why it does this, but I had the same problem. Try it and see if it works.

It's looking at the drive letter mentioned in the registry.

Ryusaizo

• Kyaaa
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2010-07-16 22:41:41 »
Im not loading them all at once x.x, I am mounting them via clone drive one at a time. The issue is the install wont work x.x It keeps going to my normal screen after i click install.
Alright got my install to work by safemoding and having all the install disc files on my computer. Now I have to figure out how to get the games to run since the game was installed via a folder on my desktop.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-16 22:52:11 by Ryusaizo »

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2010-07-16 23:56:27 »
Try also running the game in compatibility mode. In XP just right click and set it in windows 98. For vista I don't know. Google it. :)