Author Topic: FF7&8 HD Android  (Read 7021 times)

D-Day Josh

• View Profile
FF7&8 HD Android
« on: 2016-10-23 12:53:38 »
Hi, I'm using ePSXe on my Android and I was wondering if it was possible to run these games with the HD models like i use on my pc

On my PC i run the games on Steam so I understand it's quite different.
I was under the impression that the HD models could still be used on emulated games.
So is it possible to put the HD mods on my android?
If so, how would i go about this?

Grimmy

• Join in my tarnished light.
    • View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
Re: FF7&8 HD Android
« Reply #1 on: 2016-10-23 22:21:00 »
You won't be able to add the pc mods to an emulated version of a ps1 game. But you can probably add some mods to the actual games for android. Just purchase those versions from the Google play store and then plug your device into your pc and browse the folders until you find a file with a name like battle.lgp. Then just replace those files with custom PC lgp files. If the android file structure and type is the same then that should work, but it may be very slow depending on the device. Probably going to be a lot of trial and error.

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
Re: FF7&8 HD Android
« Reply #2 on: 2016-11-30 17:50:29 »
You won't be able to add the pc mods to an emulated version of a ps1 game. But you can probably add some mods to the actual games for android. Just purchase those versions from the Google play store and then plug your device into your pc and browse the folders until you find a file with a name like battle.lgp. Then just replace those files with custom PC lgp files. If the android file structure and type is the same then that should work, but it may be very slow depending on the device. Probably going to be a lot of trial and error.

Sorry for the necropost, but this thread is relevant to something I've been meaning to post about.

The Android port of the game is actually just an interpreter for the PC version (few things changed for language reasons, like a 1.02 exe for every language is included).  Even the .exe is included in the .obb that Square ships with the game; on top of that, the .obb isn't even anything fancy, it's just a .zip.  The only thing holding us back from modding is that the app runs a hash check on the .obb (haven't checked what kind yet, probably md5 or sha256) before starting.  Theoretically patching this out so we could mod it would be trivial (but I can't hex edit for shit), especially since AFAIK that's the only copy protection on the game (which is easily defeated by.... well.... just having the .obb in the right place), so cracking it would fall in a bit of a grey area, so idk if anyone is up for it.

As far as iOS goes, I'm waiting on an iOS 10 Jailbreak so I can really see what's going on, and edit things without having to sign an ipa every time.  I suspect it'll be a lot more open though; iOS doesn't visibly do any file checks it seems; and seeing that iOS has a much more locked down filesystem, it seems totally reasonable that it'd be open for modding with a jailbreak.