Author Topic: Game stuck in 1998 version after uninstalling 7th Heaven 2.0+The Reunion. Help?  (Read 2829 times)

MeanBob

• View Profile
Decided to make a thread here since Steam messageboard is considerably slow at responding >.<

Hey, guys. So, here's the deal.

tl;dr - Whenever I re-install The Reunion mod, no matter what, it reverts back to the 1998 version of the game. This is after uninstalling 7th Heaven 2.0. For whatever reason, of all things, it does this ONLY with The Reunion. I've also used the FF7 Registry deleter software and still nothing :(

I played this game with The Reunion mod and after 7th Heaven 2.0 came out, I held off from installing that mod because I couldn't understand it and heard that it was much easier now. So, I installed it, gave it whirl, and for some reason, the game decided to run in a tiny window. After that I uninstalled it, and the game (plus any other leftover folder).

Now, I did a fresh install, game is fine detects my save files, but whenever I tried installing The Reunion, it reverts back to 1998 version of the game and doesn't detect said save files. I can tell because I can only move the cursor on the main menu using the NumPad. It doesn't make sense that it would even do that since I no longer have anything that coincides the 1998 version of the game anymore. I even use the software that removes any leftover registry keys and it still does nothing.

I'm lost with this because I've done everything, including the other location the game was installed in when I tried 7th Heaven 2.0.That's on top of using the registry deleter software and still :/ Nothing is seemingly working no matter what I do to get back the Steam release after going about using JUST The Reunion mod now.

Anyone run into this issue?
« Last Edit: 2020-03-21 19:35:14 by MeanBob »

Aurora

• View Profile
1. The Reunion mod uses the 1998 version of the game. This has nothing to do with registry keys or anything like that, it's just a part of how the mod works.

2. Save files using the original pc version are located in the save folder in the game directory folder, while save files for the steam version are located in My Documents/Square Enix/FINAL FANTASY VII Steam/user_#.
If you want these to share the same save folder, you'll have to use a symbolic link, which you can read about here. Otherwise just copy them over manually where you will need them accordingly.

MeanBob

• View Profile
I get that, but whenever I initially installed The Reunion mod over and over, I never had a problem at all. It always located my saves and even began the game with the screen showing what keys do what and, right after, the game saying it's the newest version and synching my saves, which it doesn't even do now after installing The Reunion. Again, this is after doing away with 7th Heaven 2.0. I'm confused as to why it's even doing this to begin with after not wanting to mess with 7th Heaven anymore. Not sure why I have to go through these hassles now :/

unab0mb

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • View Profile
    • 7th Heaven Web Site
You're doing it all wrong. First of all, Reunion and 7H are not compatible. They can co-exist, but if you have Reunion installed, then in 7H>Settings>Game Launcher you need to make sure the Reunion Driver Fix is turned on. Otherwise, Reunion's graphics driver takes over even if you don't want it to. Also, Reunion's driver is ALWAYS active even when you turn it off in settings or delete The_Reunion folder. Your problem with a tiny window is Reunion, not 7H. For Reunion, you have to manually set your graphics options like resolution by editing the ini file. For 7H, it's as simple as clicking Settings>Game Driver. And from the sounds of it, you're not properly using 7H at all. You need to configure your settings, and click the "Play" button in the top left corner to apply your mods, disable Reunion (temporarily) and launch the game with the correct graphics engine/driver.

MeanBob

• View Profile
I understand that they can co-exist, but I no longer want to use 7th Heaven. As I said, I want to only use The Reunion mod from here on out and it doesn't want to stick to the Steam release with The Reunion running with it. It never gave me this problem until after I got rid of 7th Heaven 2.0.

orichalcon

• It's a sin that somehow
  • Light is changing to shadow
    • View Profile
    • The Reunion
what exactly is the problem? if the game is running and reunion is working, what is the problem with game working in 1998 version? you can get steam's controller mapping to work, and you cannot get achievements with reunion, so if you clarify the actual problem you are having it will be easier to help

as said in the second post, reunion bypasses the steam code and changes the game a bit to make it work

steam should recognize the game and launch it though, if not then you probably need to uninstall all mods, then the game, restart, then reinstall game, reinstall reunion

unab0mb

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • View Profile
    • 7th Heaven Web Site
Yeah I don't get what your problem is either. Sounds like it's working as designed. Your tiny window as I said before is caused by Reunion because you need to edit the options. Ini file. Or uninstall Reunion by deleting the ddraw.dll file. The "problems"? you're complaining about are from Reunion, not 7h.

MeanBob

• View Profile
So, I'm gonna try and get into great detail when I first decided to replay the game because of Remake coming out, so maybe that'll help.

Some months back, I decided to get through the game and always heard about The Reunion being one of the easiest mods to install, especially if you want the re-translation, so I got, at the time, r05c and played it with zero problems, but what's catching me off guard about what you guys are saying with the tiny window coming up, I never had that at all. It loaded the game just fine, as if it was the Steam version with the mod installed: it loaded up with the window size I chose from the launcher on Steam, it recognized my controller that I was using, gave me the prompt before going to the New Game/Continue? screen about what keys did what, Hit X to get to that screen, and it all just worked fine. I also had Steam achievements working, so for me, it just seemed like it was working fine and as intended (from my experience after installing/uninstalling parts from that version. After that, I installed r06c and, yeah, still ran the game as I normally would without any of the "issues" that I'm currently having. I didn't even open up an .ini file to

After that, I waited for 7th Heaven 2.0 and just saw that it was much easier to use, so I got the Remako download files from ModDB, through them into 7th Heaven 2.0 and realized, you know what? This is gonna take up too much space after installing just one of them, so I said screw it and got rid of it. Uninstalled that, got rid of 7th Heaven 2.0, uninstalled the game, and just redownloaded it. Then, reinstalled r06c of The Reunion, and that's when I started to see how it would only launch in the tiny window, could only use my NumPad to select things from the title screen, and how it no longer was detecting my save. It didn't make sense for me since I never had this happen before, so it kinda is catching me off-guard that this is how it's "intended" to work when that's how I never had it work before.

I did however got my save to be detected to see, but one thing I did notice that when my game loaded up, the World Map/Field View or whatever it's called is in higher-res than ever before. I went into the .ini settings to see, but that setting is turned off to begin with, so that's another things that I noticed when I last checked it.

So yeah, that's where I'm at and trying to figure out how to get it back to when I first played it months ago. I hope I cleared it up a bit for you guys. Sorry if this is a head scratcher for you all, but I'm just confused as you are :/

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
You really need to be asking for help in DLPB's Reunion thread.  It seems like there's either some kind of setting that isn't being carried over after reinstallation, or an option you need to set in OPTIONS.INI (Reunion's new configuration tool).

unab0mb

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • View Profile
    • 7th Heaven Web Site
What DLPB said. You comparing R05 and R06 are like apples and oranges. R06 includes its own custom Aali driver, among other things, that make it behave totally differently than R05.