Author Topic: [FF8PC-Steam] Ragnarok Rebalancing Mod (v1.2b & v1.1b)  (Read 232246 times)

Yoids

• View Profile
Re: [FF8PC-Steam] Ragnarok Rebalancing Mod (v1.2b & v1.1b)
« Reply #725 on: 2022-06-20 13:17:01 »
I am almost finishing with Lionheart mode, and it's been a blast.

I just got Ragnarok access, and I am really trying to get Bahamut. However, it is a very challenging fight since that dragon hits hard. I have lost against him maybe 8 times already. The main problem comes from his normal attack doing around 4-5k, which almost 1shots people, and his mega flare which does so much damage that kills anyone without shell on it. Add many other attacks, and a very good speed, and it is a very challenging fight. I will get there eventually.

So far the battles I remember as most challenging were some Laguna flashbacks, where the Esthar soldiers casted "Death" like crazy. It is very important to be able to protect from death there.
I remember the last battle against Edea + Seifer, it was a nightmare since they did so much damage. I had to level a little bit there, the only time I had to.
I remember the centra ruins, being impossible the first time I got there with the garden. I did not want to level, so I came back later to get Odin and Tonberi. Still Odin was a little pain, had 3 or 4 tries until I managed the winning combitation (good SPR, status defense to STOP, AoE heals with megapotions).

I have seen the "game over" screen dozens of times, and it has always been fun to figure out how to beat the encounter. It was always a matter of finding the correct magic spells to junction, or which abilities to use. I remember in the original game, the only challenge we faced were Marlboros, until we realized we needed status protection to Berserk, which was the real problematic status effect. Well, with this mode, it has happened several times.

Overall advice I can give is:
- Protect spell is KING
- In some encounters, SHELL is needed. You can heal with items which is very good as well
- Get Phoenix asap
- Cerberus is not so good to summon. Too slow for an effect you could get just casting double/triple directly.
- Diablos is as good as ever
- You will get many Mesmerizing Blades, which can turn into megapotions, which are VERY useful with a MEDUP character to heal 3k to all
- Remember to cure STOP by casting HASTE on the character
- Of all the command abilities, I think TREATMENT was the best one. It heals and cures all, even if you are silenced. It is very solid.
- You will cast FULL-LIFE a lot. You can get 20 from regen rings later on, which chimeras have a change to drop, IIRC. Forget about junctioning this until you can farm those chimeras, and use the 30 full-life spells you will get along the game for challenging fights!

And the best part, Phoenix summon is AWESOME. Since fights are actually hard, when he kicks in, it really really makes your day. It really shines.
(you can still get killed though, enemies can 1shot your party 3 times before you get a turn LOL)
« Last Edit: 2022-06-20 13:23:30 by Yoids »

fooli

• View Profile
« Reply #726 on: 2022-07-18 03:55:59 »
Dev on this still going?

Also, is there a doc somewhere with all the hidden/new questlines put in? Was wanting to do a run through and see what has been added/changed since my last one.

Malekith

• View Profile
« Reply #727 on: 2022-07-20 18:23:40 »
Thanks for the great work, I already finished the game once 2 years ago, now I'd like to work for an italian localization and for some monster tuning to make my friends and family play it.
I would be happy if you could contact me either here or on discod: "Malekith#5670".
With a good grasp of statistics and lot of experience in video games I believe I can make things even funnier.

I already posted a while ago!
I'm ready to do whatever it takes to take this to the next level.

EDIT:
At the moment I'm personally working on the project.
If anyone else want to contribute feel free to contact me on discord.

So far I've modified apocalypse, the end, selphie limit, spr and vit scaling for characters.
« Last Edit: 2022-08-01 04:17:20 by Malekith »

Nope911

• View Profile
« Reply #728 on: 2022-08-01 10:41:38 »
Mod is fantastic, thank you so much for creating this!
Currently on disc 3 and fighting X-A with zells squad inside lunatic pandora.
Honestly not sure if my game is bugged, or if I've missed something. He only takes 50-150 damage for -every- attack. Ultima, Holy, thundaga, GFs, demi, full status 100% resists. Maybe I'm underleveled, but I'm not really willing to gain levels just for an optional side boss.

I've also ended up spending hours on this thread searching for info- can you please, please, please add a changelog either to the files itself or the first post of this thread?
Just the main things in a spoiler tag that include: new side quests, Zell card, GF status effects, new final weapon ingredients (srsly I spent hours before realising that they were different), and other basic key features of the mod (ie, enemies now being fixed level is -so- important and barely mentioned), tonberry changes,  limit break changes, magic/new magic changes, ability changes/ GF ability prerequisites, etc. There's literally so much with 0 documentation.

Thanks again, this is the ultimate way to play ff8!!!
« Last Edit: 2022-08-01 10:44:56 by Nope911 »

Nesouk

• View Profile
« Reply #729 on: 2022-08-03 08:13:14 »
I've also ended up spending hours on this thread searching for info- can you please, please, please add a changelog either to the files itself or the first post of this thread?
Just the main things in a spoiler tag that include: new side quests, Zell card, GF status effects, new final weapon ingredients (srsly I spent hours before realising that they were different), and other basic key features of the mod (ie, enemies now being fixed level is -so- important and barely mentioned), tonberry changes,  limit break changes, magic/new magic changes, ability changes/ GF ability prerequisites, etc. There's literally so much with 0 documentation.

There's a full documentation for the new sidequests, moved cards and such with the mod. Weapon recipies is give to you in-game in the magazines, also new spell effect, abilities effect and Limit Break change is in their description in the statut menu in-game.
Ennemies LV being fix as litteraly it's own paragraph in the first post and in the documentation given with the mod, as most of the general change.
The only changes not truly mentionned are the GF Abilities prerequesite and the thing about bosses giving you additionnal reward if you don't draw their GF (and the fact you still get the GF even if you don't draw).

Malekith

• View Profile
« Reply #730 on: 2022-08-06 02:23:54 »
So far, the changelog:
- the end is now an huge damaging spell
- VIT and SPR scaling is now reduced, so that you are more likely not to hit cap, as the formula is: damage*(265-SPR/VIT)/4, that makes it OP once you get over 240.
- fixed zell limit to not be looping
- fixed selphie slot limit, it will now be weaker early game and more solid late game
- increased rinoa STR as angelo scales with STR(and should be start scaling lower around disk3, in favor of magic).
- Nerfed speed scaling on invine, selphie and zell.
- Gave weapon progression a more linear scaling and will make a very noticeable difference.
- Lowered early game attack damage.

you can test those changes by downloading main.fs here:
https://github.com/Malekitsu/FF8-ragnarok-

- fixed easy fights in disk 1  (ifrit, laguna dream 1, granaldo, tomb of the forgotten king, sacred, diablo; testing now deling city encounters).
-missile base side quest in disk 1 now grants a weapon upgrade item

Monster and map changes are done with battle.fs and field.fs, too heavy for github, can upload on request.
Will probably upload anyway once I've completed disk 1.

I'm considering about increasing exp to level up by around 20%, which would balance the game better overall (for an hard mod), but that might just mean more grinding.

If anyone has some ideas/features that would like to be implemented post down here.

EDIT:
Has anyone else got crash in prison (disk 2) when irvine appears? Remastered edition.
« Last Edit: 2022-08-06 19:52:48 by Malekith »

Fauve

• View Profile
« Reply #731 on: 2022-08-10 05:44:33 »
I am at my wits end trying to get the Kiros card in Winhill. I gave the QoC my Quetzalcoatl card and when speaking to her in Dollet she says the card is in Winhill. So I know my progression on the quest is there. But I've been playing the woman for over an hour straight (at least 50+ games at this point) with no Kiros being played. Is there maybe something I'm missing? This is very frustrating 

Nesouk

• View Profile
« Reply #732 on: 2022-08-13 22:15:14 »
Well almost done with the Lionheart Mod, only have Ultimecia's left so just wanted to put some point :

About the Lunatic Pandora's bosses since they are the one I remember being the most disappointed by the last time I played :

-Fujin and Raijin and Mobile Type 8 definitly feel improved Mobile Type 8 especially was a suprising fair challenge especially when the bastard got himself immune to Thunder I wasn't prepared for that.

-Seifer... is still the biggest let down of the mod looks like he is condemn to be a pathetic boss forever (fits him tough screw him ^^)

-Adel felt suprisingly easier than the normal version, where the hell is Doom Strike ? I might be misremembering but I'm pretty sure she could use it and she never use it again suprisingly, I would have also expect her to deal more damage to Rinoa than the base version but she dealt the exact same damage (about 3k) which is pretty manageable.

-Sorceress that one felt good compare to last I remember it being a joke but this time it was pretty good the last Sorceress in particular can be tricky to deal with with counter attack (that do hurt), putrefy and Ultima.

Now onto the bosses of Ultimecia's castle :

-So first I want to say I like how you now cannot choose what powers you recover, each boss gives a specific one, this is a good idea but I do have one complain why is save on Tiamat ? I found that annoying because he is easily the hardest of the 8 Guardian and he is the furthest away from the entrance, found that annoying as since I was basically going blind I didn't want to risk losing progress by dying on a boss so after each boss I had to back track to the entrance which while not deal breaking was a little annoying.

As for the bosses themselves :

-Sphinxaur is easy but well since we have no other option to attack and he is immune to drain so we have no way to heal, this is just a damage race which should be hard to win with Holy to Ele-Atk and high Strength and Luck.

-Tri-point : Easiest boss of of the 8 no issue here, this guy has always been a case of when you know his gimmick he is pathetic.

-Krysta : A little more challenging cause his counter do hurt, but still pretty easy.

-Trauma : As long as you keep at least 1 Droma alive (with Slow) to prevent him from using Mega Pulse Canon he is not an issue, his healing is easily outdamage by Triple Flare.

-Red Giant second easiest boss 2 Triple Demi + 1 Summon of Diablos = GG moving on

-Catoblepas : His Heaven's Wrath and physical attack hurt a lot, but as long as we are immune to Stop should be fine, his death move is now Meteor instead of Ultima which I don't understand Ultima is far more dangerous why would you replace it by Meteor ?

-Gargantua second hardest of the 8 guardian but basically is just to not attack him with physical honnestly I feel this guy would be harder if he was countering with Counter Twist everything as it stand I just put Rinoa in Angel Wing and let her do the job while I was healing with Squall and the third party member.

-Tiamat hardest of the 8 by far he hit like a truck with his physical and Dark Flare is pretty strong to, the most dangerous part tough is he can counter with Ultima (I don't know if it's after a set amount of attack received or random), which effectivly mean I can't attack recklessly and have to keep my HP up.

Well for the 2 other bosses of the citadelle :

-Sorceress : So this is litterally Yunalesca in FFVIII like really, I have only one complain about this fight Mega Death that hit all character AND ignore Death immunity this is bullshit, you can be immune to Death in FFX so I was healing Zombie and so I got Game Over'd by this shit please don't do that that's just frustrating especially since it require at least 2 Slot to get 100% immunity in this mod to Death and it's guaranteed to catch anyone off-guard, as a result the gimmick is you have to stay in Zombie thankfully Zombie is much more manageable in FFVIII than it is in FFX since you can make all your character absorb Wind or Earth and heal with Quake or Tornado, just like for the Yunalesca fight Reflect is really usefull even tough she can dispel it unlike in FFX, but it basically shut down her Zombie + Curaga combo and Statut Magic counter, so overall fairly fight nearly die at the end cause like an idiot I forgot to immune Selphie to Confuse for the equivalent of Mind Blast.

-Omega Weapon : Wasn't as bad as I thought, basically the exact same strategy as Normal Ragnarok Mod work to here, just keep one character in Defend all the time only exit Defend when needing to resurect with about 60 Spd and Auto-Haste on Squall if you act right after Omega's turn and you're fast Squall has the time to get back in Defend before Omega's next turn, the only dangerous attack is Megido Flame that deal 4k damage, Ultima and Schockwave Pulsar also deal that number but Ultima is much more rare and Schockwave Pulsar only use once.

The main difference with Regular Ragnarok is he seems immune to Vit 0, which I'm not liking this change common this is an over 1 million HP boss already probably the only boss in the game where it would be fair game to makes him susceptible to Vit 0 why remove this option ? Especially since honnestly the only thing immune him to Vit 0 does is making the fight last longer, but 10 or 20 minutes is really not a game changer I enter this fight with 56 Mega Phenix and 45 X Potions by the end of the fight I had 44 Mega Phenix and 39 X Potion left so I could have keep going for MUCH longer it wouldn't have make a difference the basic loop was :

-Omega act (likely kill Irvine and Zell)
-Squall resurrect with a Mega Phénix
-Squall get back in Defend
-Zell and Irvine deal damage with their Limit Break or heal Squall with an X Potion if he is below 5000HP
...repeat

Unless you are really slow on inputing Defend or do a miss play this loop is 100% consistant, Irvine with 79 Spd get the time to act between Squall and Omega (also thanks to Defend animation freezing the ATB), and yes I use Zell even tough I'm rusty with his LB compare to before he still can do good here especially if unlike me you don't forget to junction his Luck (over 20k if My Final Heaven crit, Dolphin Blow deals about 5-6k if it crit and Meteor Strike about 7k) and since Quistis can't put Vit 0 it was useless to bring her like I did for the Normal version of the mod, and I don't want to rely on Selphie and Rinoa's randomness for this fight.
So yeah sadly not a very hard fight when you have the good set up going on, it does last longer but that's about it.

EDIT : And done beat Ultimecia, goddamn I wasn't expecting it but Ultimecia ended up being the hardest fight of the Lionheart mod to me no contest, a much improvment compare to last time I played this mod, Griever most noticeably is much improve and was actually able to do something this time XD

The hardest part to me were definitly the second part of the third phase where she hit like a truck and get very fast, and the final form which on top of being tanky prove challenging thanks to her ability to dispel your buffs, get immune to either Magical or Physical damage, and can remove your magic on top of hitting decently hard.

Really great final boss to conclude the mod.
« Last Edit: 2022-08-14 05:46:45 by Nesouk »

rakuanu

• View Profile
« Reply #733 on: 2022-08-14 12:48:09 »
Enjoying my playthrough so far.

Just wanted to let you know that the Espers during the dream sequence with Laguna, Kiros, and Ward in the Esthar mining operation casts Cure and Protect on enemies (my team) instead of itself.

Actually.. it's also attacking its team mate, and casting Slow on themselves too... the target selection is a bit missed up here.
« Last Edit: 2022-08-14 12:52:20 by rakuanu »

Nesouk

• View Profile
« Reply #734 on: 2022-08-15 14:03:10 »
Enjoying my playthrough so far.

Just wanted to let you know that the Espers during the dream sequence with Laguna, Kiros, and Ward in the Esthar mining operation casts Cure and Protect on enemies (my team) instead of itself.

Actually.. it's also attacking its team mate, and casting Slow on themselves too... the target selection is a bit missed up here.

There is no mistake here this robot are deficient and do some stupid stuff like that, this was also the case in Vanilla.

rakuanu

• View Profile
« Reply #735 on: 2022-08-19 12:13:24 »
There is no mistake here this robot are deficient and do some stupid stuff like that, this was also the case in Vanilla.

Oh, had no idea. That's pretty funny then. Also how do you re-learn EXP-none? I accidentally unlearned it and saved over it.

I actually went ahead and used the Hyne's editor to add it back in but noticed that Quezacotl and Ifrit don't have SumMag +30% and is listed as Forgotten but I'm very sure I didn't unlearn it with Amnesia Greens. Intended or something I should restore?
« Last Edit: 2022-08-19 12:33:23 by rakuanu »