Author Topic: Forum convo  (Read 603 times)

orichalcon

• It's a sin that somehow
  • Light is changing to shadow
    • View Profile
    • The Reunion
Forum convo
« on: 2022-08-29 00:09:22 »
On the discord, yeah.

ugh, its beyond a shame that that is what this forum is becoming though - just a recruitment link for the discord

...but what other choice is there with completely useless administrators? oh well

i sure hope SpooX and Mayo Master dont moderate me for posting this under their jurisdiction  ???
« Last Edit: 2022-08-29 00:18:02 by orichalcon »

Bonez

• Cosmo Memory Dev
  • Global moderator
  • What goes here?
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Project Edge (Jusete's field scenes)
« Reply #1 on: 2022-08-29 10:42:20 »
ugh, its beyond a shame that that is what this forum is becoming though - just a recruitment link for the discord

...but what other choice is there with completely useless administrators? oh well

i sure hope SpooX and Mayo Master dont moderate me for posting this under their jurisdiction  ???

I fail to see how a more active administrator would drive up forum user engagement. SL could sit in front of his PC all day, it isn't going to make people post more. Forums are a dying medium. Are there still active forums out there? Sure, plenty, but not many for niche communities like ours... They have all gone to discord... Dan didn't make a forum, did he? But hey, any chance to take a shot at Qhimm in general. Right, Ori?

orichalcon

• View Profile
    • The Reunion
« Reply #2 on: 2022-08-29 17:07:16 »
I fail to see how a more active administrator would drive up forum user engagement. SL could sit in front of his PC all day, it isn't going to make people post more. Forums are a dying medium. Are there still active forums out there? Sure, plenty, but not many for niche communities like ours... They have all gone to discord... Dan didn't make a forum, did he? But hey, any chance to take a shot at Qhimm in general. Right, Ori?

no, not right... almost 100% wrong actually

first of all - every forum is a niche community like this one, how many forums do you see where its like 'talk about anything, anywhere!' ?
none, thats how many

the speedrunning forums arent exactly taking off, and more dead forums isnt exactly what this place needs right now, but i'm not about to rip into tsuna for trying something

i actually have respect for people who try, even if they don't succeed right away or at all, in that 20 minutes tsuna took to add those he did an infinite x more work to this place than the main admin has ever since i've been here

so no, i dont take shots at people that i disagree with every chance i get

you know what kind of crap i DO NOT respect? this:

sl1982 — 08/16/2021
I will let you in on a little secret. I dont want to have to deal with anything. It takes time out of my day i would rather use to do anything but this. I wish that it would work that way
This is not a job I find enjoyable at all

Bonez

• Cosmo Memory Dev
  • Global moderator
  • What goes here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2022-08-30 00:12:57 »
no, not right... almost 100% wrong actually

first of all - every forum is a niche community like this one, how many forums do you see where its like 'talk about anything, anywhere!' ?
none, thats how many

the speedrunning forums arent exactly taking off, and more dead forums isnt exactly what this place needs right now, but i'm not about to rip into tsuna for trying something

i actually have respect for people who try, even if they don't succeed right away or at all, in that 20 minutes tsuna took to add those he did an infinite x more work to this place than the main admin has ever since i've been here

so no, i dont take shots at people that i disagree with every chance i get

you know what kind of crap i DO NOT respect? this:

sl1982 — 08/16/2021
I will let you in on a little secret. I dont want to have to deal with anything. It takes time out of my day i would rather use to do anything but this. I wish that it would work that way
This is not a job I find enjoyable at all

Come on man, don't be intentionally dense. We're not exactly tomshardware or gamefaqs here. Hell, or even modb or xentax where you can talk about modding literally any game on the planet. Us specializing in modding 3 games from 25 years ago is the niche of the niche of the niche. And I guarantee none of them get the kind of traffic they got 10 or 15 years ago -- they just don't.

As a matter of fact, our numbers for last month are quite good in comparison to some of these other general modding communities. Traffic is on par and retention is actually significantly higher.
Spoiler: show

Regardless of that, like I said, if we had an admin sit in front of a screen with his eyes propped open like A Clockwork Orange watching the site, it wouldn't drive traffic to the site. The fact that Jusete has done more updates via the discord than here the past 6 months is not the admin's fault. As much as you'd like it to be.

And you aren't helping matters in the least. When general users are flagging your posts and saying "This dude will just not stop shitting on staff for 2 straight years now", you're doing more harm than whatever good you think you're doing.

Frankly, I'm tired of seeing it. If you'd like to discuss it more, we can talk more on discord (:)), but please stop derailing forum topics to talk about how much you hate it here...  Afterall, it's not a prison. You don't have to stay.
« Last Edit: 2022-08-30 01:34:07 by Bonez »

orichalcon

• View Profile
    • The Reunion
« Reply #4 on: 2022-08-30 01:40:33 »
IMO you are the one being intentionally dense, how many of those forums you just listed got there by having administrating done like this? again, none

you conceded the forums are dying and to just jump ship to the discord, so what 'harm' could i have possibly done? i'm merely stating the truth and the fact of the matter - no matter how much others would try to improve this place and to move forward, it would impossible with an admin that both does nothing and is adamant about it staying that way

and blaming the times is also pure crap to deflect responsibility away from the shit job that has been done, this place should have been growing with the increased interest from the remake especially

i dont know if its actually too late to turn this place around or not - probably is, but i know the people running the show here now dont give a crap if it does or not

so even if i am doing more harm than good... before this place goes for good its my right to tell you bums off and to say thanks for killing it, and i figured better to do it here where you can see what set me off than to make a new topic :)

and who knows? maybe one day some others that can do something about this, will
and its gets this place a new admin which really couldnt be any worse than the current
« Last Edit: 2022-08-30 02:00:01 by orichalcon »

Bonez

• Cosmo Memory Dev
  • Global moderator
  • What goes here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2022-08-30 02:21:30 »
You're not actually saying anything. You haven't addressed the very first and most important thing I said and I've said it twice now:

What is the admin supposed to do to drive up traffic? Seriously, tell me. You just keep saying he does nothing and it's his fault no one posts. What is he supposed to do to make people register and post? And not just post a tech issue question and bounce once they've gotten their answer. We get that 5-10 times a day... What is he supposed to do to make the mod devs (the real traffic), who use the faster, more efficient, more convenient discord come back here to talk mods instead?... Sl is hands-off. He more or less allows Strife and the rest of us make any decisions we need to. What would you like us to do? I'm serious. I want to know what you want. You have a lot to say about how we've done a shit job (without being specific in anyway, of course), but I've never seen you offer anything in terms of how it could be improved.

If you'd like to answer that honestly and seriously, that's fine. But also, consider this a warning. I really don't want to see anymore unprovoked, unsolicited "the admin sucks" posts from you. You've said it enough. We've all seen you say it several times. We get it. You've got an issue with him and even the moderation team as a whole. That's your stance and that's fine. And we're not kicking you out for it. How long would I last at Dan's if every couple days I posted about how much of a shit job he and you do? I might get away with it once. And that would be if my name wasn't Bonez -- after all, I was banned from there for simply agreeing with the evil, evil admin here... But if anything is going to drive users away, it's not the absence of an admin, it's the presence of your posts in that realm. So, that stops here.

before this place goes for good its my right to tell you bums off and to say thanks for killing it

We're not going anywhere. And name calling really isn't called for.
« Last Edit: 2022-08-30 03:14:36 by Bonez »

orichalcon

• View Profile
    • The Reunion
« Reply #6 on: 2022-08-30 05:37:14 »
ok, i'm going to answer that seriously as you said, i think it is more deflection and BS personally, because i already set the bar extremely low with 'just try' and as you can see from the quote above (which is over a year old and more downhill activity numbers occuring since - with no admin intervention at all) he is serious about that, so why should i bother?

but first i'm going to respond to the other stuff

How long would I last at Dan's if every couple days I posted about how much of a shit job he and you do? I might get away with it once. And that would be if my name wasn't Bonez -- after all, I was banned from there for simply agreeing with the evil, evil admin here...

i dont know why you keep bringing that up - sure its another dumb decision by the admins here that i complained about but has not much to do with this... other than making it all the more vital the admins are *actually willing to do the job they volunteer to do* in order to offset that loss and recover

i've said it before that i dont agree with the 'pre-bans' (and honestly tried to have them reversed), regardless no one can accuse dan or myself of not trying our best in the roles we have agreed to do

We get it. You've got an issue with him and even the moderation team as a whole. That's your stance and that's fine.

actually, no - i keep using the word admins for a reason - and i say it plural because i thought there were others? Covarr? either way, whatever staff that has moved on needs to be moved on from

and also i bear no ill will to anyone, i dont know sl1982 the person nor Covarr the person, and find it completely realistic they are fine people in real life, good family members, etc, and it is completely reasonable to move on from spending time doing this kind of thing in your life - but as i said if they want to move on then they need to do so

your defending of people (or perhaps, person) who do almost nothing in the role that should be doing the most is REALLY REALLY not helping

What is the admin supposed to do to drive up traffic? Seriously, tell me.
If you'd like to answer that honestly and seriously, that's fine.

OK, now to actually answer.

-first of all a little cleanup would go a long way...  SpooX, Mayo Master, Akari, Paul, Tom, Marc, and Aali are listed as moderators on the fricking front page, its not mean to take away their staff role - and if they want to come back nothing is really stopping them from regaining it if they were good, the speedrunning thing also i would combine all into 1 'board' or whatever its called and expand as needed, the project forums retired to archive page and Jusete can just make himself a new thread

again, sorry for the constant criticisms but i shouldnt have to tell you guys its bad to have moderators listed on the front page that havent even posted here in years, nor for a bunch of boards/child boards that havent been posted in for months/years/at all, that drives people away way more than forum drama - no one wants to talk to themselves

also things are changing so fast that almost every single sticky in the entire forum needs going through, some of them need rewritten by someone

-second of all, the main wiki here is the waybackmachine now? can it even be edited? i've seen this asked about numerous times by numerous individuals and the conversation always goes nowhere because no admins chime in and offer any solutions or anything, and really how hard would that have been?
might even be a good idea to just transfer whatever is left to the forum in a new section, then maybe can also have a discussion child board where people can post things they've found and others can verify it before adding it... might actually give this place a purpose again

again, sorry for the constant criticisms but this administration has precided over the loss the one community thing of value to link rot... out of laziness?

-third of all, and unfortunately its probably much too late for this, but this place needs a whole new set of rules relating to mods and contributing to mods, this place is supposed to provide a comfy home base for development of mods and has failed and continues to fail miserably at that
back when this was considered 'the center of modding' leadership here *could* have taken that and really built a strong community with that, but didnt...

there should be absolutely no distribution of 'modded mods' here without the author posting permission in the thread first, some people like a 'all hands on deck' approach and invite anyone and everyone to pitch in, and some people dont and like more closed development - there is no reason each author(s) can't have it their way, but instead in the past the rules have been 'well its not illegal, so we can't do anything about it' which is more BS, this place should offer protection against unwanted meddling in someone elses mod that they havent contacted, with violating links removed reasonably quick and violators warned and refered to the rules *consistently*, and if the violators wanted to post their content elsewhere it wouldnt have mattered because QHIMM was the center of modding, providing the most exposure for authors and mods  - unforunately you can't flex leverage you dont have though

but regardless, this place should, you know... make it so people will actually want to develop a mod here

-fourth of all, general discussion/off topic needs to be utilized to attempt to drive new membership, i've said this before but of course it was ignored... ignored because it would create work for the staff in having to moderate more when they know they dont have the time, patience, or even knowledge to do it right - i'm not stupid

i could go on and on really, but its not my job, so i shouldnt have to think of this stuff for you

hell, it would be going above and beyond... but it would be nice if the admin even participated on other social media to try to help promote the accomplishments of the community they belong to... sure as hell aint getting that with sl1982

« Last Edit: 2022-08-30 06:00:26 by orichalcon »

Bonez

• Cosmo Memory Dev
  • Global moderator
  • What goes here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2022-08-30 06:27:15 »
Thank you for actually saying something productive and constructive instead of just "sucks". I won't deny you make some good points. Consider them taken under advisement.

i dont know why you keep bringing that up - sure its another dumb decision by the admins here that i complained about but has not much to do with this... other than making it all the more vital the admins are *actually willing to do the job they volunteer to do* in order to offset that loss and recover

i've said it before that i dont agree with the 'pre-bans' (and honestly tried to have them reversed), regardless no one can accuse dan or myself of not trying our best in the roles we have agreed to do

You just completely missed the point here. The point was cut out the negativity before action is taken against you.

Also, the wiki is alive and well. https://wiki.ffrtt.ru/index.php?title=Main_Page

there should be absolutely no distribution of 'modded mods' here without the author posting permission in the thread first
this place should offer protection against unwanted meddling in someone elses mod that they havent contacted

That is absolutely the rule here. If there are any mods you're talking about in particular that I'm not aware of, please report it.

I trust this is the end of this subject for you. I'm serious when I say no more "admin sucks" posts.
« Last Edit: 2022-08-30 06:45:18 by Bonez »

strife98

• Global moderator
  • Doink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2022-08-30 16:14:31 »
I'm just gonna split the topic here as it has absolutely nothing to do with Jusete's mod. I've decided to split it and not just remove the posts because there are some valid points being made, and I don't want to get rid of those points, but this conversation doesn't need to be had in Jusete's section. As an aside for the wiki, that was done back when the wiki was down for an extended period of time. I had the wiki changed on the main page to the wayback machine version just so there was still access to it as I moved everything to fandom which can be found here https://qhimm-modding.fandom.com/wiki/Qhimm_Modding_Database_Wiki (most if not all of it should be there and it -should- be publicly editable to users just like the ffrtt one.) So I will take the blame for not having it put to the new one/put back to the original. Since the original is back I'll probably have it put back to that one, and just keep the fandom one as a backup since it's less well known.

olearyf2525

• View Profile
Re: Forum convo
« Reply #9 on: 2022-09-01 22:49:37 »
How do I change the discord?  8)

Edit: Meant to say *JOIN* the discord.
« Last Edit: 2022-09-02 20:12:09 by olearyf2525 »

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2022-09-15 14:32:34 »
How do I change the discord?  8)

Edit: Meant to say *JOIN* the discord.

It's just below the wiki on the forum main page, here's the direct link:
https://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?board=52.0

@topic
Corums/community boards are dying. People DO move to Discord so I disagree with you.
Things pass by time. Like we all used to have Facebook now it's becoming more like "place for old people".
You can't be mad for admin/mods, because forum is no- more super popular place. If you are able to change mind of the mass, then go on. I can't and personally - I don't want to. I'm cool with Discord.
Have a great day! 😁

EDIT:
and blaming the times is also pure crap to deflect responsibility away from the shit job that has been done, this place should have been growing with the increased interest from the remake especially
Ah yes- basic thing people tend to say in political aspects:

>ah, this guy is shit, he should do something to make people better!
-why shit? What can he/she do?
>something!

If you have a REAL idea, speak up- if you don't know what to do and would like to continue just trash talk then I don't want to talk with you anymore as this will do nothing

I want people to be smiling everyday and be nice! Do something! Yeah! Let's blame someone! Yeah!

Ugh...

EDIT2: Sorry for passive-aggresive tone, I shouldn't do that.
« Last Edit: 2022-09-15 14:42:29 by Maki »

Tsuna

• Global moderator
  • Working together to create awesome things!
    • View Profile
    • The home of Tsunamods
« Reply #11 on: 2022-09-15 16:09:21 »
It is a shame the forum isn't as bustling as it used to be.
I had my own yell at the staff back during that specific time period too but for different reasons. Which I can happily say is fixed now.

Not that I ever directly helped with that particular thing because it either happens on USA time or Bonez has fixed it almost instantly. That being drama and people getting away with anything for the most part. I do feel that the forum is now a more equal and safer place when it comes to nobody being more special or important than others.

I did attempt as Ori mentioned to revive the place with the Speedrunning section and had the threads made as I was requested by the runners themselves. Who proceeded to not use it at all sadly. They have their Discord and they prefer to use it over this. Which I do understand. Same as the modders here do, ourselves included. Granted I could post here if there's Echo-S updates and what not  but I've pretty much chose not too just because it'd be a 2 year long thread with no download link, and because of that there wouldn't be a good conversation to have because only I and Patrons would have played it until release. When it's done though I'll absolutely be placing it here and hoping to talk about it with everyone.

I even attempted to make my own forum when I went my separate  way and it died on creation. I think maybe 2 people that wasn't admins posted on there. It is sad that forums don't seem to survive now. Unless you're like Reddit or 4chan or something.
Even since I started streaming my work people ask questions less because they wait until I go live and then ask me directly instead. Or choose to just DM me rather than posting. A little strange but each to their own I guess.

And Admins "job" here nowadays consists of logging in, checking message requests from new users with less than 5 posts to see if they're bots (They usually are). And checking new posts to see if they need removing because of dumb stuff.
It's not much, and when I do get a chance to do that it takes all of 5 mins because of how few there are.  And checking any reports from users which happens barely and when it does Bonez tends to be on it instantly.
This place as of today could be ran by a single person.

I dont have permissions or knowledge on how to clean the place up and make it look fresh to sorta start anew but if it was done I'm down to try posting more here as a regular user and see if it does anything.

orichalcon

• View Profile
    • The Reunion
« Reply #12 on: 2022-09-15 17:57:01 »

If you have a REAL idea, speak up- if you don't know what to do and would like to continue just trash talk then I don't want to talk with you anymore as this will do nothing

I want people to be smiling everyday and be nice! Do something! Yeah! Let's blame someone! Yeah!

Ugh...

EDIT2: Sorry for passive-aggresive tone, I shouldn't do that.

did you even read the thread? i did speak up and gave plenty of ideas - is it too late to try all that? probably, i'd hate for someone to pour in hours of work for nothing

was it too late 2 years ago? 4 years ago? 6 years ago? probably not IMO

who else is there to blame Maki? when i order a burger at a restaurant and find a glob of hair in it - i'm gonna bitch out the manager about it, not the cook

IMO this place didnt die due to times, it died due to neglect from people who had volunteered to run it... it sure is a good thing that admins here dont volunteer this way at a soup kitchen, all the homeless would starve!

I dont have permissions or knowledge on how to clean the place up and make it look fresh to sorta start anew but if it was done I'm down to try posting more here as a regular user and see if it does anything.

definitely appreciate what you tried to do, even if it didnt work as well as hoped

I had my own yell at the staff back during that specific time period too but for different reasons. Which I can happily say is fixed now.

Not that I ever directly helped with that particular thing because it either happens on USA time or Bonez has fixed it almost instantly. That being drama and people getting away with anything for the most part. I do feel that the forum is now a more equal and safer place when it comes to nobody being more special or important than others.

the thing is, it didnt really get fixed at all... it got replaced with a new (worse) problem, the exacerbation of the one we're having now... that this place has more bots reading than people  :P

it *could* have been fixed correctly, but...
« Last Edit: 2022-09-15 18:32:22 by orichalcon »

Bonez

• Cosmo Memory Dev
  • Global moderator
  • What goes here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2022-09-16 04:31:38 »
it sure is a good thing that admins here dont volunteer this way at a soup kitchen, all the homeless would starve!

I'll let it slide considering you were replied to. However, you could have replied and said everything you said without the pot shot at the admins. I was serious when I said "no more negative admin posts from you". Don't ignore it. I don't care if you are replied to from this point. You've made your point literally ad nauseum.

...cut out the negativity before action is taken against you.

I trust this is the end of this subject for you. I'm serious when I say no more "admin sucks" posts.

orichalcon

• View Profile
    • The Reunion
« Reply #14 on: 2022-09-16 17:52:15 »
"no more negative admin posts from you". Don't ignore it. I don't care if you are replied to from this point. You've made your point literally ad nauseum.

dude, read the bottom of the third post again - its a point even the admin(s) admit...

"Hey, you know that thing you keep saying that is 100% true? Well, we are tired of hearing it, it makes us look bad, so stop saying it or you're banned."

you fit right in with this staff, bonez
but I will not be bullied into holding my tongue about the facts of the matter, so you do what you gotta do

anyone defending that quote from the admin (or defending the admin that made the quote) deserves ridicule x 100

i'll have you know i actually sent a PM to QHIMM himself a few months ago about this same issue, not that i thought it would do any good... it will be 3 years before he even sees it

my point being, that i dont just spam the forum to try to get some needed change out of this place, i've literally done everything in my power that i can think of

oh and just one more thing...

top one is a... 9-ish year old discord run by QHIMM, bottom one is a 2 year old discord run by mostly me, both with very similar products (although we only mod FF7 whereas QHIMM draws from people modding/discussing many games)

so despite jumping ship to the discord, just know that in any given month, we recruit 3-5x more members than QHIMM (and that number is going to continue to rise), and its because unlike QHIMM, Reunion has an admin that knows a little about doing the job right

so now its my turn to end with a snarky quote

you can't flex leverage you dont have though

Bonez

• Cosmo Memory Dev
  • Global moderator
  • What goes here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2022-09-16 22:03:25 »
The thing is, I'm not defending anyone. You could be talking about literally anyone. I'm defending our written board rules.

-Don't insult anyone. Report to a moderator if someone has insulted and/or threatened you. Responding in kind could get you warned as well.

-Treat People With Respect
Be courteous, polite and show respect to others. Use of the forums is a privilege, not a right. Being a d*ck may get you warned. It may get you moderated. You might get banned for being a d*ck. Even if you are right and someone else is wrong, keep things civil. Incendiary comments directed at individuals or groups of members are not allowed.

There isn't a caveat that says "unless it's about staff; in that case, do what you want."

Congrats on the discord numbers.
« Last Edit: 2022-09-16 22:40:36 by Bonez »

olearyf2525

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2022-09-17 23:41:07 »
Forums are a dying medium, Ori's argument is equivalent to asking why people are using smart phones instead of flip phones. If only flip phones had more apps and features, etc! Sorry Ori but nothing can save this forum and you know it, just like nothing can bring back wired telephones or flip phones. It's just more time consuming and less convenient and everyone wants convenience and low effort nowadays. I enjoy forums, I browse forums still but younger kids don't have the attention spans to read as much. We grew up reading in JRPGS, books, etc. Most gamers enjoy voiced dialogue now, even though I prefer unvoiced just like I prefer forums over discord, unfortunately we are in the minority Ori. Like Tsuna said only reddit and 4chan have survived to a large extent, gamefaqs used to be huge forums on multiple games and it's dying over there too. Also half of reddit is bots/advertising/marketing accounts because they censored and banned so many people off their platform. 4chan is still big, but I would bet it's a lot smaller than it was years ago too.
« Last Edit: 2022-09-17 23:42:50 by olearyf2525 »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #17 on: 2022-09-18 01:36:56 »
I Personnaly don’t like the discord model. It’s fine for active chating, but really lousy at asking a question and retrieving the answer for anyone else. Forums are given topics so people with the same question can find solutions together. With discord the same questions get asked again and again and people just keep answering them. Not to mention I get notifications that “I was mentioned” only to find that someone used the @everyone tag. I despise discord for how hard it is to track relevant past conversations. Maybe someone has a problem that I have a direct answer to, but because I’m not on at that specific moment I never see the question and answer it. It has a lot of good features for active community collaboration, but it should not be a replacement for the forum format.

Bonez

• Cosmo Memory Dev
  • Global moderator
  • What goes here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2022-09-18 02:02:07 »
Discord is currently testing and rolling out an actual forum function. We may start using it. I've been playing with it and it does address the points you make.

But beyond that, everything you're saying discord isn't good for, the forum is still used for; Mod homepages and FAQ's .
« Last Edit: 2022-09-18 02:04:26 by Bonez »

orichalcon

• View Profile
    • The Reunion
« Reply #19 on: 2022-09-18 05:18:31 »
Forums are a dying medium, Ori's argument is equivalent to asking why people are using smart phones instead of flip phones. If only flip phones had more apps and features, etc! Sorry Ori but nothing can save this forum and you know it, just like nothing can bring back wired telephones or flip phones. It's just more time consuming and less convenient and everyone wants convenience and low effort nowadays. I enjoy forums, I browse forums still but younger kids don't have the attention spans to read as much. We grew up reading in JRPGS, books, etc. Most gamers enjoy voiced dialogue now, even though I prefer unvoiced just like I prefer forums over discord, unfortunately we are in the minority Ori. Like Tsuna said only reddit and 4chan have survived to a large extent, gamefaqs used to be huge forums on multiple games and it's dying over there too. Also half of reddit is bots/advertising/marketing accounts because they censored and banned so many people off their platform. 4chan is still big, but I would bet it's a lot smaller than it was years ago too.

i do agree for the most part, but if the small amount of people holding this place up are slowly bailing out... and someone else is willing to try to do something, then whats the hurt?  There's no question that Tsuna or myself (or even some other choices) wouldnt be worse, even if the forums never quite turned around

i feel like sl would rather it just die with no one else given a chance than see someone else do better, and thats definitely a selfish way to be

i grew up on forums from the time i was an annoying kid, all the way up til the annoying adult i am today  ;D, and honestly discord isnt real safe for kids at all
the first server i ever joined on Discord was actually The Reunion server when it was made, never wanted to use it before that and only did because i had to to be involved with Reunion

with what some of these discord bots can do and the limited amount of tools mods/admins have, i'm not sure its real safe for anyone unless you're somewhat technologically advanced

and also a forum has never made my phone beep at 2 a.m.  :-)
« Last Edit: 2022-09-18 05:25:15 by orichalcon »

strife98

• Global moderator
  • Doink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2022-09-18 22:04:50 »
oh and just one more thing...

top one is a... 9-ish year old discord run by QHIMM, bottom one is a 2 year old discord run by mostly me, both with very similar products (although we only mod FF7 whereas QHIMM draws from people modding/discussing many games)

5 year old discord* run and owned by me* technically not considered fully official* granted doesn't go against many of your points, but just wanted to correct you on a few things.

Chrysalis

• ESUI Developer
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2022-09-26 10:49:51 »
I Personnaly don’t like the discord model. It’s fine for active chating, but really lousy at asking a question and retrieving the answer for anyone else. Forums are given topics so people with the same question can find solutions together. With discord the same questions get asked again and again and people just keep answering them. Not to mention I get notifications that “I was mentioned” only to find that someone used the @everyone tag. I despise discord for how hard it is to track relevant past conversations. Maybe someone has a problem that I have a direct answer to, but because I’m not on at that specific moment I never see the question and answer it. It has a lot of good features for active community collaboration, but it should not be a replacement for the forum format.
Its a very good point, there is some new Discord features in development which aim to bring a forum like experience through.  I hope those end up giving us more of the older discussion experience.