Author Topic: Forum upgrade  (Read 105531 times)

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
Re: Forum upgrade
« Reply #100 on: 2020-06-18 18:03:23 »
You have a password used here right?
You type things between your machine and the server?

Currently its all plain text.. Its not very hard to setup  a MiTm and capture packets so its in everyone best interest for all sites to be encrypted.
This can happen at any node between your machine and this server. 

It costs nothing to get a cert from https://letsencrypt.org/

@Obesebear Yeah I heard I'm very excited to start adding the things i have scattered about .

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 2020-06-18 19:37:01 »
You have a password used here right?
You type things between your machine and the server?

Currently its all plain text.. Its not very hard to setup  a MiTm and capture packets so its in everyone best interest for all sites to be encrypted.
This can happen at any node between your machine and this server. 
That anybody cares about a low-traffic modding site is questionable, and if you're using the same login/pass combo on multiple sites (especially with browser-based password creation and management a thing now) you're already dumb enough that SSL isn't going to help.
It costs nothing to get a cert from https://letsencrypt.org/
Doesn't change the fact that installation and management of certs remains a pain in the butt.

Koby

• Beyond the Grave
    • View Profile
    • Kametsu
« Reply #102 on: 2020-06-19 00:00:35 »
kinda made my own dark mode via stylish.

Please share Stylus stylesheet. =)
Currently I've resorted to using this one:
« Last Edit: 2020-06-19 00:13:50 by Koby »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 2020-06-19 00:56:08 »
What does everyone think about this one?

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=561383.0

I like it. Especially if we can modify some of the graphics

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 2020-06-19 01:06:15 »
Seems like a good option to have

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: 2020-06-19 01:45:58 »
I put up a new theme for people to look at. You can change it in your profile. Let me know if this is something we could build upon.

faospark

• hell-o-world
    • View Profile
    • old me
« Reply #106 on: 2020-06-19 03:17:04 »
Please share Stylus stylesheet. =)
Currently I've resorted to using this one:

here you go. just a warning though this will only work on windows as the iconography used is segoe MDL2 assets.
certain image enhancements wont work on firefox.

some of the features:
-dark theme mostly.
-replaced certain image icons with font icons.
-inline span colors are mostly supported if i missed out any please message me
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a407-U831H9NFgOKwlTxhIc9WuHyymgg/view?usp=sharing

mav

• The Sauce team
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 2020-06-19 07:00:23 »
Doesn't change the fact that installation and management of certs remains a pain in the butt.

Except it really isn't. Let's Encrypt provides a tool that lets you install the certificate in literally few minutes if you have proper access to the server. You can even add it to cron so it auto-renews itseft. And many shared hosted providers have an option to do all that for you automatically.

At this point there isn't really a reason not to have SSL on your site (unless you just don't have the access to SSH on the server or your hosting provider doesn't give you the option). If you don't care about the security of your account on Qhimm's that's fine, but other people might. Plus SSL is required if you want to switch your server to use http/2, which is a major upgrade to the protocol and makes everything load faster.

Btw the new theme looks really nice :). The only change I would make is to replace the top background image with something more FF themed, I posted a suggestion on Discord.

Edit: Now I see that we could probably also use a new emote pack because this one isn't really compatible with a dark theme, the edges of emotes show spill of the white background.
« Last Edit: 2020-06-19 07:29:53 by mav »

faospark

• hell-o-world
    • View Profile
    • old me
« Reply #108 on: 2020-06-19 11:35:40 »
The set up for let's envcrypt is not that hard anymore. I believe most hosting plans already has a interface for it. in fact in one that i manage any subdomain or domain you setup automatically generates a cert for that. you dont need to do it via the command line and it auto renews.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 2020-06-19 14:24:06 »
Except it really isn't. Let's Encrypt provides a tool that lets you install the certificate in literally few minutes if you have proper access to the server. You can even add it to cron so it auto-renews itseft. And many shared hosted providers have an option to do all that for you automatically.

At this point there isn't really a reason not to have SSL on your site (unless you just don't have the access to SSH on the server or your hosting provider doesn't give you the option). If you don't care about the security of your account on Qhimm's that's fine, but other people might. Plus SSL is required if you want to switch your server to use http/2, which is a major upgrade to the protocol and makes everything load faster.

Btw the new theme looks really nice :). The only change I would make is to replace the top background image with something more FF themed, I posted a suggestion on Discord.

Edit: Now I see that we could probably also use a new emote pack because this one isn't really compatible with a dark theme, the edges of emotes show spill of the white background.

I agree. This was just a test. It would be nice having some more ff related visuals in the theme

TrueOdin

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 2020-06-21 17:04:35 »
Hey I got to know only now about this! Thanks Obesebear :)

If possible I'd love to have those features on top:
- MFA Login
- Gravatar support
- Allow login through third part OAuth providers like Github, Google, Facebook, etc. ( so you don't have to rememeber yet another account... )

Thank you in advance in case and keep up the good work! I'm really happy we're modernizing this :) Looking forward

//EDIT: I also do agree with sithlord48 that we must add HTTPS support, especially if we want people to login with username and passwords in the forum.
« Last Edit: 2020-06-21 17:08:10 by TrueOdin »

Koby

• Beyond the Grave
    • View Profile
    • Kametsu
« Reply #111 on: 2020-06-21 18:27:51 »
Hey I got to know only now about this! Thanks Obesebear :)

If possible I'd love to have those features on top:
- MFA Login
- Gravatar support
- Allow login through third part OAuth providers like Github, Google, Facebook, etc. ( so you don't have to rememeber yet another account... )

Thank you in advance in case and keep up the good work! I'm really happy we're modernizing this :) Looking forward

//EDIT: I also do agree with sithlord48 that we must add HTTPS support, especially if we want people to login with username and passwords in the forum.
Most forum software dropped support for Gravatar due to it's spying and data tracking. Not sure if SMF still offers the ability or not, but Gravatar is typically seen as a terrible thing these days that sites steer clear of.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 2020-06-24 21:31:21 »
Announcements and FAQ thread cleaned up and deleted/archived where appropriate.

faospark

• hell-o-world
    • View Profile
    • old me
« Reply #113 on: 2020-06-27 00:23:18 »
is there way to tweak the new  badges on thread lists. cause there some that says new even though the last response was like 8 years ago.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 2020-06-27 00:32:39 »
Your best bet is to click view unread posts then click mark messages as read.  That should eliminate the problem

rareskythree

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 2021-03-06 06:18:06 »
i upgraded forum software but for me it dosent work, i am unabel to chnage my avatar and lot more.