Author Topic: FFVII steam release  (Read 33029 times)

ScottRTL

• View Profile
Re: FFVII steam release
« Reply #25 on: 2013-07-05 17:55:02 »
I was able to login to my old 2012 account, so I assume so, but then again I never used the cloud saving feature. I modded it straight after logging in once when I bought the 2012 release and also with the new Steam release.

I had a few achievements with the 2012 version, and when I bought the Steam version, I logged in with Square North America and the moment the game opened a bunch of achievements popped up... I guess all the ones I had up to that point...

P.S.

I would love if we could figure out to have all the mods WITH cloud saving still enabled...

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2013-07-05 18:08:33 »
I would love if we could figure out to have all the mods WITH cloud saving still enabled...
Most of the game's file formats are the same as the old one. Just about any mod that doesn't depend on certain features from Aali's driver can be made to work with this pretty easily. The main thing is that you have to actually edit files instead of loading things externally, a feature the community as a whole has grown to rely on, particularly for textures.

saftle

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2013-07-05 18:10:09 »
Anyone get the Steam overlay to work yet?

Gordon228

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2013-07-05 19:11:40 »
heres how i see it some one needs to make a qt plugin that dose what we want.

UltimaOmega07

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2013-07-20 08:03:00 »
Anyone get the Steam overlay to work yet?
Just in case you or anyone is still looking for an answer to this, in order to get the Steam overlay to work you have to copy "launchff7.exe" from the FF7Music folder to the game's root folder and rename it to "FF7_launcher.exe". This way the game will launch through FF7Music but you will be able to use the Steam overlay. Always remember to back up original files. You just have to manually mount the FF7 disc if you are not using a usb stick or something because you are not launching from the bootloader. As far as I can tell there is not a way to launch the game from the Bootloader and at the same time keeping the Steam overlay. It is either or.

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2013-07-20 13:49:22 »
Just in case you or anyone is still looking for an answer to this, in order to get the Steam overlay to work you have to copy "launchff7.exe" from the FF7Music folder to the game's root folder and rename it to "FF7_launcher.exe". This way the game will launch through FF7Music but you will be able to use the Steam overlay. Always remember to back up original files. You just have to manually mount the FF7 disc if you are not using a usb stick or something because you are not launching from the bootloader. As far as I can tell there is not a way to launch the game from the Bootloader and at the same time keeping the Steam overlay. It is either or.
What are the advantages of using the STEAM overlay please? I did a quick google search but it didn't immediately become clear and I'm doing 8 million things at once at the moment.

UltimaOmega07

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2013-07-20 16:36:04 »
What are the advantages of using the STEAM overlay please? I did a quick google search but it didn't immediately become clear and I'm doing 8 million things at once at the moment.
Basically you can chat with your friends on Steam, use a web browser, look up guides, videos etc. while you are playing the game, without going back to the desktop. It is handy sometimes because some games mess up or crash when you alt-tab to the desktop. It is pretty seamlessly integrated into the games so you can for example jump between playing a game and reading a guide really quickly.

Personally I find it very useful because I use Steam to chat with all my friends but to each their own.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #32 on: 2013-07-20 20:03:18 »
if you can play a game window mode, the overlay really is pointless

Cazador

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2013-07-21 02:41:39 »
cloud service seems to be down, can't sync old saves.. :(

UltimaOmega07

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2013-07-21 08:45:27 »
Personally I don't like windowed mode. Either you play with those borders which really distract me or you play borderless windowed which in many cases is more unstable or decreases performance in a lot of titles. Plus you cannot really downsample if you run windowed because the game doesn't fit in the screen anymore unless you increase the desktop resolution as well but then it turns everything way smaller so it's hard to see text especially.

But like I said, to each their own.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2013-07-21 17:54:37 »
I see it as the other way around. If the overlay is available, you don't have to play in windowed mode.

Of course, there's always Alt+Tab, but 99 games out of 100 have issues with that.

WickedForte

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2013-07-25 00:08:59 »
I may be a newbie on this forum but have followed for many years. For me the steam overlay would help me take the beautiful pictures of tifa's bootleg and upload them as screen shots of the final fantasy 7 community of steam. This might also increase sales of ff7 for people wanting to play ff7 the way mine works/looks. Yes you can print screen and take pictures that way, but it seems abit troublesome to print screen paste save trick steam into thinking i took the screenshot as the ff7 steam version.

I tried making tifa's boot loader -> launch steam -> launch Final Fantasy 7 through steam -> enjoy tifa's mod. I cant tell which ff7 exe tifa's bootloader uses or trick windows by renaming a symbolic link of steam.exe as ff7.exe. This also presents a problem. If i get the process to behave like I want, will tifa's bootloader accurately apply the external mods of the project into ff7.exe?

As far as achievements, look up steam achievement manager I dont recommend this, but if you're an achievement whore like myself use this when you know you should've unlocked the achievement if you used the modded ff7. Just don't be stupid with it, research it.

Kein

• View Profile
    • Shin-Ra Inc.
« Reply #37 on: 2013-09-26 12:14:52 »
A 220Mb update was released that has something to do with music.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #38 on: 2013-09-26 14:42:50 »
They patched the game to come with PSX music.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2013-09-26 16:42:15 »
If this were Completely Unrelated, I'd be posting a picture of Stephen Colbert with the caption "We did it!"

But I'm not going to set a bad example and post image macros or memes in General Discussion.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2013-09-26 18:32:41 »
Nice, btw if i buy ffvii on steam and when i convert it to 1998 to be modded like will it still be linked to my steam account like when i play it it will also say on steam? if that makes sense.. abit confused :s

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2013-09-26 18:45:23 »
As long as you launch it from Steam, it'll still use the Steam overlay and show you in-game.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2013-09-26 19:15:55 »
They patched the game to come with PSX music.

Did they burgle mine per chance?  :-D

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2013-09-26 20:13:39 »
I'd assume they did it themselves, otherwise it wouldn't have taken so long. The game has received quite a few changes in the Steam Registry before the update was actually pushed out, so I think they've been working on this for the past month or so.

That said, this only should've been like eight hours work, tops (I've ripped and looped bigger soundtracks than this in less time than that), but I'd imagine between having other stuff to work on, QA, and general bureaucracy, this is probably about right.

JBedford128

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2013-09-26 20:35:03 »
The files have Date last modified dates for the 9th September 2013, at 12 AM, between :13 and :40 minutes. So that's probably when they were converted to OGG.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2013-09-26 20:43:30 »
Shame they couldn't have saved themselves a whole lot of effort and used my update.  But I guess all the legal crap gets in the way.  8-)

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #46 on: 2013-09-27 01:34:17 »
So ahead of your time Daniel... SE would have saved such a descent amount of time if, just, credited at least qhimm members for their contribution or sponsor any nice efforts that've already been made... instead of "discovering America" all over again...

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2013-09-27 15:52:15 »
Did they burgle mine per chance?  :-D

No. Your files are from the OST. Theirs is literally converted from the PSX music (which is slightly different).

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2013-09-27 15:54:22 »
I'd assume they did it themselves, otherwise it wouldn't have taken so long. The game has received quite a few changes in the Steam Registry before the update was actually pushed out, so I think they've been working on this for the past month or so.

Changing the music doesn't require any registry changes. Weird. Are you sure they've been making changes?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2013-09-27 16:08:01 »
No. Your files are from the OST. Theirs is literally converted from the PSX music (which is slightly different).

Not to mention inferior...  The quality of PSX simply isn't up to the standard of a professional OST release in this case.  And I am really shocked they would mess about using PSX emulation to achieve this result.  I suppose they couldn't get rights to using the music through official OST or... found it harder to do somehow.