Author Topic: Idea for the remake  (Read 6774 times)

Goku7

• View Profile
Idea for the remake
« on: 2002-05-11 20:57:44 »
Considering the small progress that has been made in deciphering the animations of characters, I was thinkin' it would be cool if you came up with taunt animations for the individual characters, and figure out clever ways of incorporating them during battle scenes.

Now, obviously the point at which the remake staff could do this is still far off AFAIK, but I figured I might as well get my idea out there.

I've already got a taunt concept for yuffie:  Being a slightly hyper and bratty teenager, she'd start to do some show-off taunt, but then she slips and falls (comic anime style falling), because she still hasn't quite yet mastered the art of being a quick-and-nimble ninja.

So, whad'dya think? 8)

ShinRa Inc

• The Ascension of the Ordinary Man
    • View Profile
    • http://shinrainc.org
Idea for the remake
« Reply #1 on: 2002-05-12 01:02:47 »
Uh.  Sounds just like her victory dance.

Cid> ::flips off Diamond WEAPON::

Aeris> ::does the Macarena::

Cloud>::blank stare:: oooo.....shiny

Tifa> [CENSORED]

Barret> Ah pity da foo who gives me that jibba jabba! ::jabs finger at opponent::

Cait Sith>  ::dual moonings::

Vincent>::robocop imitation::

Goku7

• View Profile
Idea for the remake
« Reply #2 on: 2002-05-12 03:59:54 »
Quote from: ShinRa Inc
Uh.  Sounds just like her victory dance.

Well, to be honest, her victory dance was the basis for my concept for yuffie.  But, I'm talking about falling in a way that'll make you just totally laugh at her.

Nice ideas for the others though...hey....

Tifa> [CENSORED]

tsk-tsk.....they're supposed to taunt, but NOT THAT WAY!!

LOL.

Darkness

• View Profile
    • http://www.x0r.net
Idea for the remake
« Reply #3 on: 2002-05-12 17:16:09 »
great. coming soon: mistah T FFVII conversion. I pity tha foo!

Goku7

• View Profile
Idea for the remake
« Reply #4 on: 2002-05-12 23:23:09 »
Quote from: Darkness
great. coming soon: mistah T FFVII conversion. I pity tha foo!

Wait, those mister T impressions might be easier to pull off with Barrett than I realized.  Barret already talks alot like that in the game, any mister T impression included in the Remake is sure to have a lot of people (who've seen the show) crack up, partially because it'd come from outta nowhere.

Anyway, the main inspiration for the taunt request, is from Chrono Trigger, specifically Marle's "provoke" tech.  Too bad it wasn't in 3d....  :lol:

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
Idea for the remake
« Reply #5 on: 2002-05-13 02:23:15 »
Interesting but useless fact: When I first played FF7, I named Barret "Mr. T". It got funny when he said "Who you calling "Mr. Mr. T"?! That don't sound right!"

Sephiroth 3D

"I don't understand..." "You don't have to understand." - Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]

ShinRa Inc

• View Profile
Idea for the remake
« Reply #6 on: 2002-05-13 17:12:29 »
I think everyone's done that.  I've got that beat, though.

"Yes Sir, Captain Jim Kirk!"
 8)

Goku7

• View Profile
Idea for the remake
« Reply #7 on: 2002-05-13 22:57:29 »
Yeah, well, I got one for the Escaflowne fans.  At one point I named Aeris as "Hitomi", so at every so often, when something happened to Aeris, Cloud would be yelling "Hitomi!!" at the top of his lungs, which is what seems to happen alot in the Escaflowne series, people are like always yelling after her.

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
Idea for the remake
« Reply #8 on: 2002-05-14 23:58:57 »
Here's a list of funny things to name characters:

[FF7]
Tifa = Bar Wench
Barret = Mr. T
Cid = Jim Kirk

[Chrono Trigger]
Epoch = Spam ("Spam can do this?!")

Add to the list!

Sephiroth 3D

"I don't understand..." "You don't have to understand." - Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]

Darkness

• View Profile
Idea for the remake
« Reply #9 on: 2002-05-15 00:02:14 »
in just about any game: me

Goku7

• View Profile
Idea for the remake
« Reply #10 on: 2002-05-15 00:06:53 »
Quote from: Sephiroth 3D

[Chrono Trigger]
Epoch = Spam ("Spam can do this?!")

That would explain all these e-mails showing up that are for stuff that happened decades ago.  Who would've thought that Spam is what makes time travel possible? :D

But back to the topic.  Taunts:  Good, feasible idea or no?

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
Idea for the remake
« Reply #11 on: 2002-05-15 02:32:34 »
Taunts... probably feasible if we're writing a new engine for the remake.  Sounds like a neat idea too.

Question: might be a little early to ask, but how would they be triggered?  Randomly, or would you just select it off the menu or press a button for them?  Just curious to know what you had in mind when you suggested it...

Goku7

• View Profile
Idea for the remake
« Reply #12 on: 2002-05-15 02:56:57 »
Well, I now have two ideas:

1.They will be totally scripted, at certain parts in, say, a boss fight or other major skirmish.

OR

2.A battle command accessible using the "Taunt" Command Materia.  Similar to the way Marle's "Provoke" attack sometimes caused a status effect, the effects of taunting can be done the same way, with about half (or significantly less) the MP cost of the equivalent spell.  Of course, there's also the humor factor.

The possible exception to this is the concept that Shinra, Inc. had in mind for Cait Sith: Dual Moonings.  That's gotta be scripted, it'd probably get major laughs from the player!  If we're gonna do that, then here's the next big decision: Textured or Gouruad-Shaded? :)

I think I just said too much...

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
Idea for the remake
« Reply #13 on: 2002-05-15 07:44:22 »
I hate to burst your bubble, but we're not likely to get textured polys in the remake. Although feasable, it would take up far too much space to texture every model, including the Square ones. And since doing that would require basicly replacing every model, we would basicly be releasing a copy of FF7, which would definatly get major attention to us from Square & Squaresoft.

To keep the download small, we're only going to use pre-existing models, and probably a few new models.

As for the Taunts... It's a thought. We might consider it when we get to gameplay. But given the current direction the storyline is going, don't expect to play many of the original FF7 main cast...

Sephiroth 3D

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]

ShinRa Inc

• View Profile
Idea for the remake
« Reply #14 on: 2002-05-15 09:21:51 »
As I recall, something along the lines of Taunts already exist in the game's framework.

The most noticable of which being;
GIMME DONUT  >:|
That's right folks, Lard Q. Palmer.   :o
Indeed, perhaps the most disturbing part of FF7 is when that plump little man does a one-eighty yaw...

...and proceedes to slap at his ass.

Aside from inspiring sheer terror and nausea in the player, I've found no discernable effect of this little dance.

There are other "event" cues of various types, such as Rufus' fight, and others....but that disturbing encounter takes the cake.

Goku7

• View Profile
Idea for the remake
« Reply #15 on: 2002-05-16 22:55:22 »
Quote from: Sephiroth 3D

To keep the download small, we're only going to use pre-existing models, and probably a few new models.

Darn, I was hoping that you were gonna use the hi-res battle models (I'm talking as much detail as the high-res Cloud and Sephiroth Models used in the final battle).  Was that done without texturing?  If that's the case, then WOW.

The texture idea was a joke on my part....

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
Idea for the remake
« Reply #16 on: 2002-05-17 03:35:29 »
I'm pretty sure they didn't texture the final Cloud/Sephiroph (sp.?) battle models, but I'm not positive.  Haven't seen that for a while.

ShinRa Inc

• View Profile
Idea for the remake
« Reply #17 on: 2002-05-17 08:32:08 »
The High-Rez models are the same as the rest, using vertex-coloring and all that.

Like the others, the only textures used are for the eyes / mouth

h4d35

Idea for the remake
« Reply #18 on: 2002-05-20 20:29:14 »
Anyone know where in the lgp's the highres cloud is? and what its called?

Darkness

• View Profile
Idea for the remake
« Reply #19 on: 2002-05-20 23:00:58 »
hmmmm

that would be the si** files in battle.lgp. note that there is no file extention.