Author Topic: Ohh yeah!  (Read 27882 times)

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
Ohh yeah!
« on: 2013-10-19 01:32:59 »
What is the best scene from any rpg!??

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
Re: Ohh yeah!
« Reply #1 on: 2013-10-19 02:48:42 »
[SPOILERS] Mother 3, when you find out the masked man is Claus and he kills himself.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: 2013-10-19 16:50:13 »
Huh... when did I make this topic?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-10-19 17:10:10 »
Huh... when did I make this topic?

;D  Has alcohol claimed its latest phantom post victim?

meesbaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-10-19 17:16:13 »
That is definately and undoubtedly that one moment at the end of the fmv playing right before the final Sephiroth fight! Cloud believes Sephiroth is defeated but he suddenly notices that something is weird. Theres still something left of him inside Cloud, his inner conflict with himself and Sephiroth is not yet solved so Cloud finally settles it.

After he is flying through those nonsense tubes and opens his eyes.....there he is SEPHIROTH! That moment and Clouds facial reaction is definately the best thing ever in any rpg.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013-10-19 17:16:54 »
My earlier post^

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #6 on: 2013-10-20 01:53:03 »
I disagree with Rundas. There was so much build up to that scene that you knew what was going to happen.

The end of Tales of the Abyss really got me fired up when Luke ran toward Van while Tear starts singing. It just felt like all the events of the game were finally coming to their conclusion and that everything that happened was all for him succeeding.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2013-10-20 02:05:32 »
One of my favourite scenes is the ending to Breath of Fire III.  It's a simple scene, no frills but has a great meaning in the game.  Right at the end, there is a picture of the desert, land that was made so deliberately by Myria to divide people and stop technology becoming dominant again, as well as to kill off the old technological civilization. From what I can remember the place was said to be impossible to support life again, yet, if you defeat Myria (rather than agreeing with her at the end of the game), you see a flower sprouting from the desert.  It was a very simple scene, but it worked brilliantly.

>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn6Z8g3lOJI&t=09m45s
« Last Edit: 2013-10-20 02:07:37 by DLPB »

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013-10-20 03:18:24 »
I disagree with Rundas. There was so much build up to that scene that you knew what was going to happen.

The end of Tales of the Abyss really got me fired up when Luke ran toward Van while Tear starts singing. It just felt like all the events of the game were finally coming to their conclusion and that everything that happened was all for him succeeding.
Perhaps you figured out it was Claus, but you didn't know he would intentionally shoot the franklin badge. I've never heard of Tales of the Abyss, what platform?

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2013-10-20 21:32:52 »
Definitely the changing of the title screen from 'The World Ends With You' to 'The World Begins With You'.

meesbaker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2013-10-20 22:22:27 »
I expected more ffs here Im disappointed...
What about aerith death/lifestream destroying meteor/tidus disappearing/ju yevon and sins defeat/squalls speech/saving rinoa from the awkward witch prison/time compression/weapon raid/cloud revealing who he truly is/zacks death/supernova(your first time as a kid :D/auron revealing being dead/the truth about summoners revealed/

I could go on for days. Just never would a scene past ffx-1 appear as all those games are shitty. I suppose as they are no longer squareSOFT but enix made which is doom for great games.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2013-10-20 22:30:57 »
(Aerith goes without saying) Yeah definitely Tidus disappearing at the end.  One of the few scenes in film or game that has managed to gain a proper emotional response from me and people I know.

meesbaker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2013-10-20 23:06:51 »
Yes so true! I can easily tell you why movies can never be as powerful as games. How long does a good movie take? 2, maybe 3 hours ? One of the best and most emotional movies ever is gladiator to me. But everything about it: getting to know maximus, seeing his tragic story, following the new path of his life unto the death of kommodus is compressed in a few hours.

One phrase: "Listen to my story....may be our last chance"

And we DO have the time to listen to it. The first time you play it if you take proper breaks and dont rush it can take weeks to months till youve learned everything ffx shows you about spira. It becomes a small part of your life, you think about tidus and his story every now and then even when you arent playing. A good game can catch you for a quarter of a year and if such a game suddenly takes out your hero that you feel like knowing for all of his life....well thats a tough one ;) Way Harder to handle then leonardo sinking with the titanic or stuff like that^^ I never fell for movies but games can be critical.

Unfortunately no longer today thats why I play classics. Now games are interactive movies. Last actual game is mgs4 to me, ff died years ago.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2013-10-20 23:21:20 »
Films can't, but a good series can be just as long.  Babylon 5 is my all time favourite show, and that did an amazing job of 1 complete story (and is much longer than any game).

meesbaker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2013-10-21 00:14:27 »
interesting thought. Unfortunately I wasnt very lucky with series so far. Tudors turned out to be some medieval reality soap, game of thrones actually has terribly flat costumes and locations looking most synthetic....I found it only lame^^

Babylon 5...sry never heard I may give it a try!

The only kind of series I like atm is two and a half men and friends:)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2013-10-21 03:46:38 »
Watch Babylon 5 up to at least the end of the first season.  The first few episodes are establishing the main plot.  Let me know how you get on!

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #16 on: 2013-10-21 04:17:23 »
Perhaps you figured out it was Claus, but you didn't know he would intentionally shoot the franklin badge. I've never heard of Tales of the Abyss, what platform?
Didn't know?! The entire reason Lucas gets the badge is to counter the "Masked Man's" Lightning attack which devastated you already. There was SO much build up to that final fight that nothing about it was surprising except that Lucas has to constantly heal throughout. At least, I wasn't surprised. I definitely knew it was Claus before the second fight, but I don't remember what tipped me off.

TotA is a gem of a PS2 game and is also for 3DS. Some people say one particular character doesn't act consistently, but I think there's obvious hints to their motives. Heck, I didn't think Auron or Kimhari were well developed in FFX and people still laughed at me for not noticing their story points.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #17 on: 2013-10-21 09:20:10 »
;D  Has alcohol claimed its latest phantom post victim?

Looking at the time I started this... Yeah, pretty wasted...  :P

meesbaker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2013-10-21 10:56:36 »
How not to notice Aurons story point?  He is a very important actor in the story and has a very close relationship to the protagonist. Most of the events of the game are triggered or influenced by Auron or at least he was part of it. Remember the whole story of Spira goes the way it does because again someone from Dream Zanarkand traveled over seas to the real one.

Thats Aurons doing as the last thing he did was promising Jecht to watch over Tidus and one day bring him to Spira. Btw Aurons a badass.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #19 on: 2013-10-21 12:00:21 »
I meant about Auron's spoiler condition not being lead up to. I didn't catch anything that indicated it and there was really only one sign that was subtle.

meesbaker

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2013-10-21 14:35:17 »
Ah ok now I see. Well I didnt see it coming either but actually the hints were more than subtle. If you pay attention at least....
First its Auron didnt want to enter the far plane. I thought its just cuz hes always so cool like he didnt want to share his memories with anyone.

BUT right after that Seymor asking "Why are you still here" was pretty obvious actually.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2013-10-21 15:15:33 »
I thought it was well done.  I didn't think anything of it on first time through.  Seymour apologizes that his race are sensitive to the scent of the Farplane too if I remember.

meesbaker

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2013-10-21 15:35:59 »
Yes thats one sentence later. I always liked seymor a lot I think his character was VERY well done. The voice actor is genius its really the first sentence you hear from seymor that makes you react the way tidus describes it later on:
" I knew you were bad news ever since the first time we met" Seymor " Oh...my sinceriest apologies" Haha tidus owned :D

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2013-10-21 15:40:00 »
I also like Seymour.  I even made a FFX soundbank for worms armageddon if you play that ;) 

Favourite lines

"Your hope ends here. And your meaningless existence with it"
"Death awaits you!"
"Kill them."
"Then pretend you didn't hear it."

Well there are more.  I just liked the character and the voice tbh, even though a lot of people seem to have taken exception to FFX voice acting.  I thought for most part is was all well done across the board.

I do wish games gave options to turn voice acting off too though.

meesbaker

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2013-10-21 15:50:49 »
WHUUT?  :D seriously the voice acting is one of the best things about ffx imo...it makes the whole way the story is told so much more powerful and alive. I can never decide which ff has the best story to me. Somehow ffvii is my favorite but ffx's story is very good, too and in addition to that it has all those great dialogues that are actually spoken. I would prefer turning on voice acting on ff7 than disabling it on ffx :D

Hahaha "Then pretend you didnt hear it was really amazing". Wasnt that when wakka is trying to tell seymor that the military action at mihen using machina was somewhat bad ? First seymor says "pretend you didnt see it" yeah I remember. I also like how you can easily tell that seymor is not as nice as he pretends but at first I believed that he being reckless and having jyskal killed was all of it.

That he turns out a crazy psychopath trying to kill and destroy everything is not absolutely surprising but still weird in a way. At mihen I was still pretty convinced that seymor is actually trying to help spira even if he doesnt care about the methods.