Author Topic: Scene.bin FFVII trouble. Wierd stuff  (Read 4450 times)

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
Scene.bin FFVII trouble. Wierd stuff
« on: 2007-06-10 18:59:30 »
Hello!

I recently edited my scene.bin file from FFVII. However weird stuff happens at the end of the midgar arc boss fights.

First of all, the Specimen fight (Sample:H0512, just after Red XIII joins) is now just against a single enemy: Zenene.
The elevator fight is vs Sample:H0512 + 3x Sample:H0512-opt.
The Rufus fight is the elevator fight, but instead of heligunner Sample:H0512 is the second enemy here.
The Motor Ball fight (after the infamous Motorcycle mini-game) is the Rufus fight.
So is all the fight in the marsh near the chocobo farm, instead of the Midgar Zolom.
In the Mythril cave I encounter the Midgar Zolom or the Motor Ball.

It seems that the game ignores one scene between 112 - 114, 'cause the game crashed once in a fight whirl before the elevator fight (vs the Brain-Pod, Zenene or Vargid Police)

I used Scenester to edit the scene file and Scene reader to unpack the original scene.bin file.

Can someone tell me what the main bugs (if any) with these apps are? Would appreciate it (I recall reading there was some bugs with the element editing, but not the severety).

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
Re: Scene.bin FFVII trouble. Wierd stuff
« Reply #1 on: 2007-06-10 20:39:59 »
The main bugs are items and elemental weaknesses.
What exactly did you edit in those scenes? Sounds like the scene files may have been corrupted, or possibly some IDs had been damaged? Who knows.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: 2007-06-10 21:18:02 »
I did not edit any elemental attributes, but I did add some items. On Zenene I added Fire Fang to win 12%, and on Vargid Police an Antarctic Wind to win 12%. I also edited some off their skills.

Zenene: HP1473-MP187-STRx2-MAG33
Vargid Police: HP199-MPx2-STR25-MAGx2
Brain Pod: HP490-MPx2-STR43-MAGx2

However I went on a bug hunt and discovered that the size of the scene.bin file increased after editing 3rd:Soldier's skills (from scene 110 and 111), then compressing the files scenes to a scene.bin. The size of the file increased from 264KB - 272KB. I think the problem lies there, altough I'm not sure what skill it is that causes this, or if it is the fact that I've basically edited everything 'bout 3rd:Soldier (except Morph and Manipulate). I did test the bin after each change but I'm not done with the skills yet so I edit this post when I'm done.

lol EDIT:

I noticed when I edited 3rd:Soldier's Evade to 24 the Scene.bin became 272KB. when I changed it to 20 (base was 12) it turned back to 264KB. I'll test the game now.

EDIT2: OK the bug have only appeared so far when the scene.bin gets compressed to 272KB. I guess thats a sign hu? I'm still kinda concerned 'bout scene 112-114 'cause of the crash, but I just have to keep trying. Any comments on this is appreciated!!  8-)
« Last Edit: 2007-06-10 21:43:26 by gjoerulv »

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007-06-11 05:08:32 »
Can you confirm if the actual scene file with the Solder:3rd in it increased with size also after you changed the evade?

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007-06-11 05:39:37 »
I have been working with Scene.bin as well.

I can confirm you that there is no way - known at least - to edit and then repackage the file without completely screwup the encounters.

I had asked for help from a member (Ombra) who tried once to run my files through his custom made packager but it's been a failure.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #5 on: 2007-06-11 12:36:02 »
Can you confirm if the actual scene file with the Solder:3rd in it increased with size also after you changed the evade?

No, it has nothing to do with the evade alone. I tried to edit the original files (EVA to 255), but all went well. But when I Increased the EVA in my prev edited files, the bug appeared. However when I decreased the EVA no bug appeared. I believe if you add to much information in one scene the length of the file will be messed up. But there don't seem to be any problem if you decrease any value in a scene. e.g I tried to sett all skills to the enemies in scene 110 and 111 (Soldier:3rd and Moth Slasher), to 1, set the battle spoils to 1 (exp ap gil), and remove all stealable items along with those you win. No bug appeared.

And, of course, whenever there was a bug the scene.bin increased in size (272KB). Else it just stayed the same (264KB).

My tip to all who edit the scenes with Scenester and Scene Reader is to constantly compress the files after editing an area (e.g midgar area). If the scene.bin increased in size there is a bug most likely. And if there isn't any bugs, make backup of all the scenes just in case.

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007-06-12 00:04:37 »
I suppose you could back up the folder of scene files after every edit.
Shame, the FF7 Hardcore mod was edited all way up to the fight on the boat, and I edited it up to town with town with the exploded reactor.
Must be some combination of changes which result in some values overlaping the file limit?