Author Topic: HELP with Add-ons/Mods for FFVIII  (Read 7308 times)

ShadowR1

HELP with Add-ons/Mods for FFVIII
« on: 2011-04-05 10:37:21 »
First off I would like to say how great this site appears, Its great how much input everyone has put into it.

My question is this. Could someone please write out a detailed list for dummies on how to apply add-ons and Mods for FF8 (PC) I have found that I would like to try out some that I have read about on here (Graphics mods/HP and Damage above 9999) however with all the downloading and extracting I have tried, it just hasn't seemed to work for me. I found that I cant find all the files needed to use add-ons/mods in one place I keep reading you need 'this' or 'that' extracted to.... as well, but I just cant seem to find all the files needed in the one area and cannot seem to figure out exactly how to do it  :o

So... If someone could maybe write a "how to for newbies"  ;D and also including where to download the files, I would really appreciate it. :)
« Last Edit: 2011-04-05 23:14:58 by ShadowR1 »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
Re: HELP with Add-ons/Mods for FFVIII
« Reply #1 on: 2011-04-06 10:00:27 »
I am almost positive that there is already a topic for exactly what you're asking *cough* search button *cough* However I don't own FF8 for PC so I can't tell you for certain  :mrgreen:

ShadowR1

« Reply #2 on: 2011-04-07 02:53:22 »
Thank you for the reply. I have tried the search engine here but there just simply isn't enough information on how to apply them and then adjust the settings etc. Or at least I just haven't been able to find the correct page haha

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #3 on: 2011-04-07 13:00:39 »
perhaps when everyone was chiming in on the changes for the site i should have said "why not have an area for tutorials"  :-D oh well, i kinda feel like a dummy now

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-04-07 13:52:09 »
perhaps when everyone was chiming in on the changes for the site i should have said "why not have an area for tutorials"  :-D oh well, i kinda feel like a dummy now
COUGHlookinFAQsCOUGH

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #5 on: 2011-04-07 17:29:31 »
COUGHlookinFAQsCOUGH

meant something more mainstream area for the newer guys to find easily (even typing that gave me a chuckle), sorry  :-D

ShadowR1

« Reply #6 on: 2011-04-09 12:38:53 »
Not sure if I'm just being made fun of or not. Great for new users.

AxisXIViral

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-04-09 12:47:13 »
I have to admit that I agree with this guy. The environment is really kinda unfriendly and tight-assed (pardon my french) from what I've seen thus far. I've tried using the search function as well and had pretty much zero luck finding relevant posts. The general vibe given or sometimes straight out said is: figure it out yourself or go away. Seems a bit mean to me, especially when people typically aren't rude about asking. We're asking because we don't know what to do, and would rather get some help than roam the forums for half a day figuring it out. It's a ton of work.

And I'm not blaming people for not wanting to go through and find all the posts we need and give them to us, it would just make a lot more sense if there was some kind of organization to all of this so we wouldn't have to ask. In fact I'm rather shocked this hasn't already been done. Seems like a bit of a no-brainer.
« Last Edit: 2011-04-09 13:01:19 by AxisXIViral »

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #8 on: 2011-04-09 15:15:41 »
no one has the time to constantly answer questions for people when the answers ARE out there, don't ask unless you've done a good amount of searching (5 minutes worth is not enough)

also, if you do not like the way things run around here, theres plenty of other sites you can run off to, no ones being hostile but when we see people posting questions we know there are answers to, it gets annoying.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-04-09 16:31:33 »
I have to admit that I agree with this guy. The environment is really kinda unfriendly and tight-assed (pardon my french) from what I've seen thus far. I've tried using the search function as well and had pretty much zero luck finding relevant posts. The general vibe given or sometimes straight out said is: figure it out yourself or go away. Seems a bit mean to me, especially when people typically aren't rude about asking. We're asking because we don't know what to do, and would rather get some help than roam the forums for half a day figuring it out. It's a ton of work.

And I'm not blaming people for not wanting to go through and find all the posts we need and give them to us, it would just make a lot more sense if there was some kind of organization to all of this so we wouldn't have to ask. In fact I'm rather shocked this hasn't already been done. Seems like a bit of a no-brainer.
Actually there's a lot of organizing going on.  Since you are so shocked by the fact that there is a shit ton of information on this forum, and organizing it takes longer than 3 hours, maybe you would like to show us how it's done?  I'll happily make it a sticky when finished

AxisXIViral

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-04-09 16:56:22 »
You guys are only showing and proving the exact same attitude I just described.

Yes, I searched for more than 5 minutes, there's no need to be so condescending. And I'm not saying anything about how the forums are run, simply that since there doesn't seem to be an easy way to find everything you want, and the attitude shown when people ask questions is what it is, it's not really a great environment for new people to join. Treat people like they're stupid, and you're not going to get great responses. Also, it's pretty obvious to me that the people around here have had just a tiny bit longer than 3 hours to compile one or two threads, which is all it would take. But I'm pretty sure I could do it within a day or two, given enough work spent on it. Especially since the amount of time I described, half a day, is probably enough for most people to find what they want to find.

A person who has more knowledge already would be able to do this much faster. I don't really think that's a debatable point.

Besides, if you're annoyed by a post, no one is making you respond to it.

I'm not trying to come off like a jerk here. It's just that I can see things from the new guy's point of view, being pretty fresh to the scene myself, and I know that for me, I had to crawl around in the dark for a few hours before I even had a clue what I was doing. And that's while using the stickies/FAQs you mentioned. What we might be looking for is more of a general newbie's guide to modding FF7/8, with every bit of basic information and explanation needed. Most of this would probably require little to no revision over time, and make things much easier for people, not to mention save quite a bit of the "annoying" questioning.
« Last Edit: 2011-04-09 17:08:07 by AxisXIViral »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-04-09 17:12:15 »
Do feel free to browse through all of the threads on this forum, and then all of the posts in those threads finding the one little important nugget of information it contains.
I'll agree this isn't a friendly environment for new members, which I'm hoping will change...at least a little.

Like I said, if you want to dig through everything and make one big all encompassing helpful post, do it!  There's no reason I or anyone else should be the ones that HAVE to do it.

AxisXIViral

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-04-09 17:14:07 »
Do feel free to browse through all of the threads on this forum, and then all of the posts in those threads finding the one little important nugget of information it contains.
I'll agree this isn't a friendly environment for new members, which I'm hoping will change...at least a little.

Like I said, if you want to dig through everything and make one big all encompassing helpful post, do it!  There's no reason I or anyone else should be the ones that HAVE to do it.

Oh I'm absolutely not saying that it has to be done, just that it's kind of odd to complain about people asking questions when it's almost all people can do unless they want to spend those hours upon hours. Some people don't really have a ton of free time, or will get frustrated way before they spend that amount of time.

Who else is going to do it besides an existing forum member? Nobody. See my point?

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011-04-09 17:16:26 »
Anyone with the time and desire can do it.  Even guests can do it, AFAIK they are allowed to see every post here and I'm positive are also able to make posts.   It's just a boring, thankless, tedious task (see: being a moderator  8-) )

AxisXIViral

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-04-09 17:20:31 »
Anyone with the time and desire can do it.  Even guests can do it, AFAIK they are allowed to see every post here and I'm positive are also able to make posts.   It's just a boring, thankless, tedious task (see: being a moderator  8-) )

Hmm, indeed, however being able to and actually having the desire and will to are two completely different things. I have been a moderator on a forum before so I somewhat understand you there. However I would hardly call something like this a thankless task. Even if people don't cheer in the streets you'll know that without that post their stay on the forums could be pretty short-lived, and if not short-lived, maybe somewhat unpleasant to start with.

There's some really amazing stuff on this forum, and it almost feels like a waste to not make it easy to navigate. Maybe if no one else gets around to it I will have to take a jab at it.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-04-09 17:25:25 »
Hmm, indeed, however being able to and actually having the desire and will to are two completely different things. I have been a moderator on a forum before so I somewhat understand you there. However I would hardly call something like this a thankless task. Even if people don't cheer in the streets you'll know that without that post their stay on the forums could be pretty short-lived, and if not short-lived, maybe somewhat unpleasant to start with.

There's some really amazing stuff on this forum, and it almost feels like a waste to not make it easy to navigate. Maybe if no one else gets around to it I will have to take a jab at it.
Please do, I kinda took it under my belt as my job to organize, but I'm very much burnt out from the moving, deleting, merging of thousands of posts

AxisXIViral

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011-04-09 17:29:24 »
Please do, I kinda took it under my belt as my job to organize, but I'm very much burnt out from the moving, deleting, merging of thousands of posts

I typically find a certain pride in trying to help forums that I stay around for more than a day or two, I suppose. And graphically, or otherwise updating games from my childhood is certainly something I could get passionate about without too much effort. We'll see though. I still have some learning to do of my own, so as it stands now I'd probably need help with it.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2011-04-09 17:35:31 »

ShadowR1

« Reply #18 on: 2011-04-10 07:47:09 »
@ AxisXIViral. Thank you for the support   ;D You and your responses (gh1984) both had some good points.

@ Covarr. Wow that's great! even with the searching I had done I hadn't found those pages  :-o Thanks allot!!!! its a big help.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2011-04-10 18:37:24 »
One thread was stickied, the other was on the first page in the FAQs board. Sometimes, a manual search can get you much further than the board's search function.