Author Topic: FF8 crashes  (Read 3993 times)

mr

• View Profile
FF8 crashes
« on: 2005-04-04 21:09:33 »
Hello

I recently wanted to play FF8 again and installed it. I used it to play on my old computer without problems (even on Windows XP). Getting it to run on my new PC didn't work at all. It crashes during the Eidos logo (about when the "I" in "EIDOS" is appearing).

System specs:
- CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+
- Mainboard: Asus A8V Deluxe
- Graphics card: Asus V9999 GE (Geforce 6800)
- Memory: 1024 MBytes

I run Windows XP (with Service Pack 2) on it, the DirectX version is 9.0c (all Dxdiag tests ran successfully). I tried to run FF8 both with and without the GeForce Patch (tried the Non-GeForce Patch as well), tried software rendering and 3D acceleration, tried to switch off everything that can be switched off, to no avail, it just freezes. Using software rendering, I can shut down FF8 after that. That's not possible in 3D mode because I can't see the task manager window (although it's there as I can see the mouse cursor changing its shape when I move it), I have to use the reset button. I should also say that I've tried the newest nVidia drivers (71.84) as well as older versions (as long as they still support the GF 6800), but they all fail the 8-bit palette test (and none of them solve the problem).

I also created a second system partition and installed Windows 98. FF8 crashed there as well, which makes me suspect a hardware (or driver) problem. I'm more or less clueless about what else I could try. I still have my old PC on which I could play FF8, but I'd really prefer playing it on the new one.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

eraclea

• View Profile
FF8 crashes
« Reply #1 on: 2005-06-19 20:51:33 »
Hi,

sadly I got no solution, but the very same Problem.

Installed FF8, wanted to play and *boom* crashes every time a Video is or should be shown, sometimes even in the middle of the Video. And this is most times the Eidos Logo. Just made it three or four times into the opening sequence...

My System Specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ (<- seems everyone with this problem has one...)
Mainboard: ASRock Upgrade 1689
Graphics Card: Leadtek A400 GT TDH (6800 GT, also conforms with mr's spec)
Memory: 1024 MB G.E.i.L Ram

I also run Windows XP SP2, Direct X 9.0c with no obvious problems. I tried to run FF8 in several modes, with several graphic card drivers (Detonator up to Forceware 76.44) and got no positive result...

Since we're not the only ones with this problem, I think Ideas or Solutions on how to fix this would be very welcome...

mr

• View Profile
FF8 crashes
« Reply #2 on: 2005-06-19 21:53:03 »
Well, a driver update more or less solved that problem for me (I'm currently using 71.89). It didn't run quite correctly, though, as I got scanlines and black squares. Installing the GeForce-Patch got rid of the scanlines, but not of the black squares (switching off antialiasing or anisotropic filtering didn't help). So I'm running it in software mode, which doesn't have any graphic glitches but looks ugly (and is sometimes a little slow).

I'm open to any suggestions how to get rid of the black boxes.

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
FF8 crashes
« Reply #3 on: 2005-06-20 20:50:43 »
I haven't messed with FF8 until the posting of this:

Posted: 2004-06-04 02:02    Post subject:    
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just want to add something....
It's about FF8, I have a Gigabyte FX5900XT, on Win98SE, and I'm using Gigabyte's Driver of Detonator 53.03.

With the AA set to the customized "FF0d" of the original post, the grid lines on the backgrounds are 99% fixed. Great job in figuring out those settings. The other customized FF settings give grid lines, except for that FF0d. I guess I'll mess around with FF7 later..... it's too late to mess with it now.

http://forums.qhimm.com/viewtopic.php?t=2670&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

But that was with Win98 and with a Gigabyte Drive...which I doubt will run with any other Nvidia card...Probably, totally, different drivers from WinXP, too.

But maybe if you pick the closest of the Nvidia drivers and do the Paste and cut for Rivatuner....maybe it will work. Nvidia seems to have a 53.03 in their archive for WinXP.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html

I recall that the black boxes and grid problem came back after a few half dozen or so drivers, later.

It's too much work for me to try it, though.... I'm not desperate enough to want to play FF8PC, again.