Author Topic: Preferred versions of FF(and others)....which do you play?  (Read 4152 times)

Om

Hi guys.  I just want the best gaming experience possible for myself from these titles listed here. So what I'd like to know IS..... either the versions YOU prefer to play or the BEST ones in general. Just need a pro opinion.  :wink:

Note: Im not a fan of handhelds, typically. So they're kinda exempt from consideration for me. (PSP is maybe an exception because I've seen it can be hooked up to computer monitor.)  :|

• Final Fantasy I & II - I have the PSX FF-origins disc ,not too impressed. I'm thinking the newer PSP ones would be better? And I could hook it up to a comp monitor? - what do you prefer for these titles?
  • Final Fantasy IV - I have the FF-chronicles disc and I'm pleased with it.  I think I'll stick with that unless you know a better one? - Which version do you play?
  • Final Fantasy V- I have the FF-anthology PSX disc. Any better than that?
  • Final Fantasy VI - Dont know if I should replace my FF-anthology disc with FFIII US for SNES. Then there'd be no slow loading & I could do without the FMVs maybe. what do you think?
    Edit - Play the rom?
  • Final Fantasy VII - Edit - I'll be keeping the PC version I guess. 8-)
  • Final Fantasy VIII - Not crazy about this one. I dont think I've ever played it all the way through. Edit - I'll be sticking with PSX I guess.  8-)
  • Chrono Trigger -  Going back sort of to the FFVI thing...I have the FF-anthology disc ....thinking about getting the SNES cart. But I'm not sure if that'd be better?
    Edit - Play the rom?
  • Edit - Earthbound, Secret of Mana - Thought I'd add these, I have the SNES carts but is the rom better?

These are  the main ones I'd like to inquire about. All the other FF's up are pretty much one platform, one option, AFAIK.

THANKS!

« Last Edit: 2009-02-17 04:20:17 by Om »

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
  • Final Fantasy VII - I have both the PSX and PC versions. And I dont need two. I've played the PSX version exclusively, only because I never had that great of a computer to run the PC version, and still don't have even basic enough of a video card to run it right. The PC version I got as a gift and just kept around despite my not being able to play it. BUT, I do plan on getting a better computer with adequate capabilities very soon. So....I'm leaning towards the PC now and thinking about letting the PSX one go. I'm certain people on this forum would be biased towards the PC version  :wink: but....what do you think? 
So, you're saying that you have a CPU slower than a 200MHz and no graphics accelerator at all? I remember that it played just fine on a Celeron 333MHz with a S3 accelerator (and the accelerator wasn't actually needed, with 333MHz you could play in software rendering mode).

And by graphics accelerator I mean ANY graphics accelerator (starting from an old 3dfx Voodoo).

yoshi314

• View Profile
And by graphics accelerator I mean ANY graphics accelerator (starting from an old 3dfx Voodoo).
yup, i played it on 120mhz pentium with 3dfx (i think it was voodoo rush card) first time around.

Final Fantasy VIII - Never really been crazy about this one. Actually I dont think I've ever played it all the way through. But why not......PSX or PC?
i think psx would be more safe choice. even though the pc version looks a bit better, you won't have issues with incompatible gfx card or something like that ;-)

Om

So, you're saying that you have a CPU slower than a 200MHz and no graphics accelerator at all? I remember that it played just fine on a Celeron 333MHz with a S3 accelerator (and the accelerator wasn't actually needed, with 333MHz you could play in software rendering mode).

2.8 Ghz.....Pentium 4....it's an older computer, but that should be more than good enough, right? I think it just never came with anything that could handle the graphics. It was a cheap deal at the time, put together by dell. I was never a big computer gamer, still not really now.

anyways.... on this same computer, the one I'm on atm, I had tried to run an FFVII demo years ago,just to see. It crashed seconds into the demo every time I'd start it up. So I have a crappy video card I guess.

i think psx would be more safe choice. even though the pc version looks a bit better, you won't have issues with incompatible gfx card or something like that ;-)

Very well. :thumbsup:

Thanks.  :-D
« Last Edit: 2009-02-17 03:54:05 by Om »

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
Even integrated GPU have no problem running the game in hardware mode.  Much less so in software mode.

It's usually a driver issue if the game doesn't work.

I suggest you try it on your current PC if you have the PC version.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
If I were you, and I owned FFVI, I would play it on my comp using the translated ROM and SNES emulator.

Om

I read the emulator can make it look better than on the console, is this true? I have no experience with ROMs or emus.

How about stuff like Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, and Secret of Mana, are the roms better VS the org. cart ?

Now if I'm just playing ROMs though, what's the point of keeping the games?  :| 
Edit - Is it issues of legality?
« Last Edit: 2009-02-17 03:56:36 by Om »

Jamers

• View Profile
FF4, 5, 6 - Playstation versions. The load times can be annoying, but the extras are worth it. One exception is that I play the translated FF6 Japanese ROM also.
FF7 - PC. I mean, look at all the cool stuff we can do with it!

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
I read the emulator can make it look better than on the console, is this true? I have no experience with ROMs or emus.

How about stuff like Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, and Secret of Mana, are the roms better VS the org. cart ?

Now if I'm just playing ROMs though, what's the point of keeping the games?  :| 
Edit - Is it issues of legality?

If you own the original game, legality shouldn't be an issue, however I find that playing with emulators is far more enjoyable. I played chrono trigger with an emulator.

hotdog963al

• Horse
    • View Profile
    • Horse HQ
I & II = GBA
III = DS
IV, V, VI = SNES
VII = PSX (Original and Best)
VIII = PSX (^)

Personally, I prefer the original versions of the game except for the NES ones as I find the re-makes more accessible.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Preferred versions of FF(and others)....which do you play?
« Reply #10 on: 2009-03-11 19:28:49 »
I think the NES ones are more difficult top get into. Although I'm usually the first one to say that bad graphics don't make a game bad, there's a limit, especially when it comes with bad sound as well.

The PSX versions of FF and FFII look and sound a lot like SNES games (I'm not sure what the other remakes of those two are like) and the DS version of FFIII looks and sounds great (I'm playing it at the moment).

I've also heard that the NES games are much harder and require more grinding; I'm sceptical about this, but if it's true it's something to bear in mind.