Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4903863 times)

magictrufflez

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.4)
« Reply #3325 on: 2016-04-15 14:43:54 »
SC--one balance note for you while I'm playing through after getting the Tiny Bronco:  I don't know if you intended this or not, but I can reach the Mideel area in the Bronco, and all the enemies seem to be super susceptible to Odin (which was relatively easy to get).  With your exp boosts to late-game enemies, it's not inconceivable that I could be even higher level when finishing "disc 1" than I ever was in the original (I think my record was ~60ish).

Was this intended?  Or just a bit of an area access oversight?  I think if you just lower the exp payout for these enemies it would be pretty much fixed, but I thought I'd mention it!

selius

• View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: 2016-04-15 15:03:51 »
if you do that, nothing you fight for the next 20 hours will give you sp

not that you'd need it at that point anyway but eh

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: 2016-04-15 15:23:11 »
Bug Reports:

- If Cid is the Party Leader on Disc 3, you are unable to place Cloud and Tifa in your party. If Tifa is the Party Leader on Disc 3, you can place both Cloud and Cid in your party. However on the World Map you will be moving around as Cloud and on Field Maps you'll be moving around as Tifa.

- I went to the Piano in Tifa's House on Disc 3 and read the letter, how does one "mete" out some kind of justice for the town?

-----

Personal Requests:

- I found the Robot Dragon in this release of NT, it needs to be renamed "Puff" immediately.

- Whenever you make a scene or flevel patch, is it possible you could give a more detailed list of the changes made?

EXAMPLE:
Instead of just saying "Omega Weapon revisions" could you detail what those revisions are:

-) Omega Weapon:
          - Terra Break is now 16 Base Power like other Physical Attacks (Down from 32).
          - Terra Break now ignores your Physical Defence stat.
          - Slash is now 16 Base Power like other Physical Attacks (Down from 40).
          - Corrected Omega Weapon's attack pattern so that Ultima comes before Light Pillar.
          - L5 Death will now correctly kill party members with levels divisable by 5 (If not protected from Sudden Death).

The world map has this limitation where it will display the character model with the highest priority; Cloud, Tifa, then Cid. I'll look into why Cloud/Tifa can't be placed into Cid's party though and try to fix it. I'll quickly redo those lines; I was in a rush. As far as patch details go, it's tough remembering specific changes.

Counter attacks seems to not trigger all enemies "counter" techniques (I would say Counter attacks since Godo will keep healing on counter attacks). You might want to check "Soldier :1st" AI (Cloud lv 4 limit).

I know some of his techniques such "Courage Boost!" and "Healing wave" are triggered when he is affected by statuses (poison, slow, ..) but it "seems" (85% sure)  that attacks like "Air strike" and "Apocalypse" are counter attacks under X% hp (or at least it's what I felt when attacking him after having done 50%). I redid the fight but only using counter attacks as the damage source, and the fight was pretty easy since he was only using laser / comet / meteor shots / Chain Slash / Megaflare. I have no clue if it's intended or not. I don't think it's related to magic since Air Strike was triggered right after the time I used Mug = Added Cut.

Counter Attacks don't trigger counter scripts, otherwise you'd end up with unending chains. I could try shuffling the counter-script he has into his pre-battle instead; that'd get around it.

SC--one balance note for you while I'm playing through after getting the Tiny Bronco:  I don't know if you intended this or not, but I can reach the Mideel area in the Bronco, and all the enemies seem to be super susceptible to Odin (which was relatively easy to get).  With your exp boosts to late-game enemies, it's not inconceivable that I could be even higher level when finishing "disc 1" than I ever was in the original (I think my record was ~60ish).

Was this intended?  Or just a bit of an area access oversight?  I think if you just lower the exp payout for these enemies it would be pretty much fixed, but I thought I'd mention it!

My plan is to set an AI flag for Mideel enemies to give less (or maybe not even appear) if the player is on Disc 1. As for the rest, I could have a look at setting status immunity flags a bit more.

aquecoucou

• View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: 2016-04-15 16:57:11 »
Was planning to farm for a second masamune for Cloud (first is on Cid). Decided to craft Cloud's ultimate weapon first. Go out to do some tests, Cloud outdamaging Cid without a critical hit being 50 atk behind. Won't craft a second masamune xD. It can sound broken, but after further testing, the damage output decreases fast when Cloud's HP start to drop, so it seems balanced.

Did anyone found the "shortcut" for the gold chocobo or am I looking for something that doesn't exist ? I'd like to know before spending hours into breeding for nothing if there's another way.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: 2016-04-15 17:31:58 »
Oh the shortcut; it's supposed to be in the Sage's house but there was a problem with it that caused a crash when you tried to race with it. I need to study the Kalm traveller one a bit more and see if I'm missing something.

aquecoucou

• View Profile
« Reply #3330 on: 2016-04-15 21:43:23 »
Oh the shortcut; it's supposed to be in the Sage's house but there was a problem with it that caused a crash when you tried to race with it. I need to study the Kalm traveller one a bit more and see if I'm missing something.

Wouldn't let it as a reward from Kalm traveller be easier ? Linking it to the "guidebook" reward before/after fight ?

Well anyway, I started breeding, I really like the new models of chocobos being darker. I just had a really hard time the first time a Green one was born, I just couldn't tell if it was a blue or green one. When the blue one is born I saw the difference. But tbh, the green one tends to look blue, especially on the "dark screen" (screen where you see the born chocobo).

Also had a question regarding the "Ancient forest", did you remove the cave or did I go full retard ? When going on the last screen, taking the path to the cave (right direction, at the end of the screen) instead of entering the cave, my party is put back on world map, the same way it would once leaving the cave.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: 2016-04-16 00:53:19 »
Wouldn't let it as a reward from Kalm traveller be easier ? Linking it to the "guidebook" reward before/after fight ?

Well anyway, I started breeding, I really like the new models of chocobos being darker. I just had a really hard time the first time a Green one was born, I just couldn't tell if it was a blue or green one. When the blue one is born I saw the difference. But tbh, the green one tends to look blue, especially on the "dark screen" (screen where you see the born chocobo).

Also had a question regarding the "Ancient forest", did you remove the cave or did I go full retard ? When going on the last screen, taking the path to the cave (right direction, at the end of the screen) instead of entering the cave, my party is put back on world map, the same way it would once leaving the cave.

Might be best putting it back on the Kalm Traveler. As for the darker shades, that's a PC thing. I don't know if I can correct it or not, but I'll give it a go at some point.

The last cave was removed. I'm using it elsewhere.

Miacis

• View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: 2016-04-16 01:37:28 »
Some more entries to my New Threat Trip Report: [EDIT: Huh... I appear to still be using the April 7th IRO. Although I saw no mention of these issues on the thread, they might have been fixed since then...]

- Godo entered a a strange routine 2/3 through the battle, countering everything I tried with his Cure-Esuna-Bubbles move for about as much health as I could deal per turn. That lasted for something like 10-15 times before it started dropping off in healing for no obvious reason. Either something weird is afoot, or there is some gimmick to this attack I do not comprehend. If it's the latter, I'd suggest giving it some name that hints at its function.

- The Brass Dragon fight was incredibly hype, although marred by a little irritation. Since the timers still tick during item-using animations, I've had a couple of game overs because my assist was petrified for a millisecond before a soft cloud of Soft hit him. And then the dragon still one-shots everybody. And Grit triggers during the game over because off course it does. Maybe adding a second "Is partnerbro petrified?" confirmation check a second or two after the first check would make it smoother? It's kind of a minor thing compared to the others.

- Whatever Hungry is trying to cast in the Sleeping Forest, it does not have enough MP for it.

- The first of the two Fort Condor NPCs in Forgotten Capital appears to be invisible?

- The Magnade enemies in the Great Glacier did some very strange things, hitting themselves with their unnamed attack, and losing their shields pretty much instantly.

- The Gaea Dragon can be morphed into a Crystal Bangle, just like the Wild Thing 2000 right outside of Icicle Inn. The former is a dragon, while the latter is earlier and can be L5 Suicided, so they could probably use a different Morph item.

(- Although I understand the balance reasons behind it, having the Icicles immune to gravity misses so much thematic potential...)
« Last Edit: 2016-04-16 01:39:15 by Miacis »

GrieverVIII

• View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: 2016-04-16 02:07:11 »
Any strategies for the Mega-Materia segment at North Corel? Even with Lighting-Elemental in one weapon and Ramuh-Elemental in another so as to do heaps of damage while not having to waste time casting spells, I can't quite finish the damn thing without crashing. The enemies are damn hard, and this is with Yuffie spamming Death Blow with 100% accuracy (or near enough to make no difference).

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: 2016-04-16 02:50:50 »
Some more entries to my New Threat Trip Report: [EDIT: Huh... I appear to still be using the April 7th IRO. Although I saw no mention of these issues on the thread, they might have been fixed since then...]

- Godo entered a a strange routine 2/3 through the battle, countering everything I tried with his Cure-Esuna-Bubbles move for about as much health as I could deal per turn. That lasted for something like 10-15 times before it started dropping off in healing for no obvious reason. Either something weird is afoot, or there is some gimmick to this attack I do not comprehend. If it's the latter, I'd suggest giving it some name that hints at its function.

- The Brass Dragon fight was incredibly hype, although marred by a little irritation. Since the timers still tick during item-using animations, I've had a couple of game overs because my assist was petrified for a millisecond before a soft cloud of Soft hit him. And then the dragon still one-shots everybody. And Grit triggers during the game over because off course it does. Maybe adding a second "Is partnerbro petrified?" confirmation check a second or two after the first check would make it smoother? It's kind of a minor thing compared to the others.

- Whatever Hungry is trying to cast in the Sleeping Forest, it does not have enough MP for it.

- The first of the two Fort Condor NPCs in Forgotten Capital appears to be invisible?

- The Magnade enemies in the Great Glacier did some very strange things, hitting themselves with their unnamed attack, and losing their shields pretty much instantly.

- The Gaea Dragon can be morphed into a Crystal Bangle, just like the Wild Thing 2000 right outside of Icicle Inn. The former is a dragon, while the latter is earlier and can be L5 Suicided, so they could probably use a different Morph item.

(- Although I understand the balance reasons behind it, having the Icicles immune to gravity misses so much thematic potential...)

I had some trouble with Godo at the time; I'll probably get rid of his healing nonsense (it's his vanilla AI to use this under half HP).

I know what you mean with Brass; I'll see what I can do.

I forgot to fix the Hungry thing; they're trying to use Mini, but this was changed into a spell called Pearl. Probably a lucky thing they didn't have enough MP, Pearl is pretty strong.

I think what's happened there is you're talking to him through the floor; I think it's also possible to open the chest to the right of him from the upper floor as well. For whatever reason, depth doesn't work the same way in that field. I've just had an idea for how to fix it though; I'll add a handler to the ladder that toggles on/off when you climb it, temporarily disabling the NPC + Chest talk script.

Just before release, I made an enemy based on Magnade and noticed that it wasn't functioning quite right despite using it's AI, etc. I might need to grab a default one and try to repair it with that.

I'll change the Morph item; I think I'll give Gaea something with a bit more oomph.

Gravity damage back for the Icicles? Sure, why not.

Any strategies for the Mega-Materia segment at North Corel? Even with Lighting-Elemental in one weapon and Ramuh-Elemental in another so as to do heaps of damage while not having to waste time casting spells, I can't quite finish the damn thing without crashing. The enemies are damn hard, and this is with Yuffie spamming Death Blow with 100% accuracy (or near enough to make no difference).

The trick to a successful train run (and this applies to the other difficulty mods as well) is trying to find a way to cut down on the enemy's turns. Every enemy on the NT Corel Train is weak to a status that lends itself to this:

Spoiler: show

Gas Ducters: Slow, Stop, Instant KO, Petrify (quite weak with 7000HP, so just normal damage might be better here.)

Wolfmeister: Slow, Berserk, Dual-Drain
The Berserk status will stop him using attacks with an animation, like Big Guard and Atomic Ray, assuming you can handle the hits. He has high physical defence but very little magic defence, so sticking with Bolt3 might be faster over physical attacks here.

Eagle Gun: Slow, Stop
Getting Stop onto Eagle Gun will make the fight much faster; you can get Stop on either with Time + Added Effect or the Stop spell/Hourglass item. Note that Stop lasts longer if the enemy is also afflicted with Slow.

X-ATM: Slow, Dual
Considering his HP, Neo-Bahamut might be your best choice to inflict Dual-Drain and get him whittled down quickly. If you do use Dual, avoid using Slow and instead give him Haste to make it even more efficient. If you decide not to use Dual, then Slow is essential for cutting down on his turns, which have sluggish animations.

Train Driver: Slow, Poison
Getting Poison on early is a smart move, because he takes double-damage from the ticks as well as the element itself. A Dirty Bomb can inflict Poison 100% of the time, or Bio3 if you have that. He'll likely go down quickly once this status is on, but again Slow will reduce the rate at which ticks come off while Haste will increase it.

Hope that helps.

GrieverVIII

• View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: 2016-04-16 03:16:47 »
The trick to a successful train run (and this applies to the other difficulty mods as well) is trying to find a way to cut down on the enemy's turns. Every enemy on the NT Corel Train is weak to a status that lends itself to this:

Gas Ducters: Slow, Stop, Instant KO, Petrify (quite weak with 7000HP, so just normal damage might be better here.)

The Berserk status will stop him using attacks with an animation, like Big Guard and Atomic Ray, assuming you can handle the hits. He has high physical defence but very little magic defence, so sticking with Bolt3 might be faster over physical attacks here.

Getting Stop onto Eagle Gun will make the fight much faster; you can get Stop on either with Time + Added Effect or the Stop spell/Hourglass item. Note that Stop lasts longer if the enemy is also afflicted with Slow.

Considering his HP, Neo-Bahamut might be your best choice to inflict Dual-Drain and get him whittled down quickly. If you do use Dual, avoid using Slow and instead give him Haste to make it even more efficient. If you decide not to use Dual, then Slow is essential for cutting down on his turns, which have sluggish animations.

Getting Poison on early is a smart move, because he takes double-damage from the ticks as well as the element itself. A Dirty Bomb can inflict Poison 100% of the time, or Bio3 if you have that. He'll likely go down quickly once this status is on, but again Slow will reduce the rate at which ticks come off while Haste will increase it.

Hope that helps.

Sounds good. I have access to all of those spells. I'll give it a go, thanks.

Edit: Finally managed it after about a dozen tries. That was some next level bullstrawberries. I guess you can technically fail without it being game over though so it's alright that it's hard. Btw, is there any way to actually tell if Dual-Drain was afflicted?

Edit 2: Seriously that was more intense and stressful than Penance.
« Last Edit: 2016-04-16 04:53:20 by GrieverVIII »

deha0002

• View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: 2016-04-16 05:20:06 »
So the battle script for Netzech, how does it work? Sometimes he does one magitek bomb, sometimes 3 in a row even without his minions up (guess what, 3 in a row mostly kills my casters even with Wall up, wierd huh?). Same with the other abilities, what triggers all of it?

Skirmish

• Don't do Sources kids.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: 2016-04-16 06:10:22 »

Hope that helps.
Additional Advice:

Wolfmeister:
He's also weak to Slow-Numb and Petrify, The Titan Summon has a chance to instantly Petrify him and let you move on to the next match but it's not guaranteed. Another alternative is to chuck a Vagyrisk Claw or Hero Drink II at him and then cast haste on him so the 30 units of time until Petrify go by quicker.

Eagle Gun:
While Stop will help you not take any damage from him, he's susceptible to Gravity and castings of Demi spells and Laser will help significantly chop his health away.

X-ATM:
As previously mentioned, Neo-Bahamut to inflict Dual-Drain is probably the best method for dealing with X-ATM quickly, as well as casting haste on him make sure you have your ATB set to active so that the Dual-Drain effect doesn't get interrupted as much. It helps alot.

Train Driver:
Gravity will once again shine here along with Poison, Demi and Laser can rip through his HP nicely, L5 Suicide may also deal significant damage (needs confirmation, I think it worked when I did it).

Skirmish

• Don't do Sources kids.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: 2016-04-16 06:11:36 »
In the Shinra Mansion, when you read the note that gives you the hints for the Safe Combination. There's a 5th row which says The fifth row has been blank and underneath it is written (melody). I assume you need to play something on the broken piano but past that I don't have a clue.

-----

I completed the Sidequest for Tifa's L4 Limit Break. As far as I know Vargas starts with extremely high defensive stats and they drop as you perform each of Tifa's Limit Breaks on him, it's a cool mechanic however... He has a very large Health Pool (Not always fun by the way) but the fight is heavily trivialised by his vulnerability to Poison (Ticks 9999's), Gravity doing sizeable damage even with just the standard Demi Spell and L5 Suicide hitting him for 9999's for most of the fight.

Is he supposed to be relatively simple because I saw that Tifa said "So much for that" upon defeating him? It does seem that Vargas is a bit soft in the head. Furthermore he's a big fella, how did he fit through the door of Tifa's Room to leave that note?

-----

Since I've reached the bottom of the North Cave I'm now doing sidequests for L4 Limits and stuff, as part of the Limit Break Kills grinding process I decided to head down to Mideel with Precious Watches (Triple AP) and use the Flash command for some instant kills. Now the whole hit and miss deal with Flash wouldn't normally be an issue however I found that using Flash + Restore Rod (Aeris Weapon, 255% Acc) means you pretty much instant kill everything in the area without missing (except for the Hippogriffs).

While I can understand not wanting too much grind in a game this does seem somewhat broken for anything without immunity to Sudden Death. Personally I would recommend if possible, to cap the Accuracy on Flash so it doesn't hit every time with Max Acc Weapons (Restore Rod, God's Hand, Sniper CR etc.), I'd rather not suggest making everything immune to Sudden Death since while I don't want to have this as a universal solution, I also don't want it to be useless either otherwise there's no point of having it in the game.

-----

What on earth is up with the Goldberry fight (Firstly why are there 6 of the bastards)? I go into the cave and pick up the Mime Materia which triggers the fight. There are 6 Goldberries and they start the fight by making you absorb the Restorative element (Dying and then being revived via Phoenix doesn't get rid of it). It is safe to say I haven't discovered a suitable strategy for this fight, among the Max HP Formula attacks (Not Gravity), Current HP Formula attacks (Not Gravity), Dual etc. it's painful to say the least.

There are some other issues with the fight, such as my characters growing to ridiculous sizes (all hail the 30 Feet Tall Vincent). I also tried to see if Aeris' Pulse of Life Limit Break would ignore the whole Restorative Element thing and... It said Recovery but it just meant my character was lying dead on the floor with full HP (4575/4575 HP and Red HP Bar).

I also somehow ended up with all my characters dead on the floor but with two of them they had 263 and 148 HP remaining. The game does not go to Game Over and the Goldberries just stand there staring at the corpses of my Party Members.

GrieverVIII

• View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: 2016-04-16 07:13:47 »
After the events in Mideel, when Cloud is talking to the party in the Operation Room, he says that all members of SOLDIER are injected with Jenova cells. If this is a change you've just chosen to make then fair enough, but I think SOLDIER is just made with Make showers and training, and the wiki didn't mention anything about SOLDIER having Jenova cells. Just thought I'd mention it.

aquecoucou

• View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: 2016-04-16 07:27:34 »

While I can understand not wanting too much grind in a game this does seem somewhat broken for anything without immunity to Sudden Death. Personally I would recommend if possible, to cap the Accuracy on Flash so it doesn't hit every time with Max Acc Weapons (Restore Rod, God's Hand, Sniper CR etc.), I'd rather not suggest making everything immune to Sudden Death since while I don't want to have this as a universal solution, I also don't want it to be useless either otherwise there's no point of having it in the game.

-----

What on earth is up with the Goldberry fight (Firstly why are there 6 of the bastards)? I go into the cave and pick up the Mime Materia which triggers the fight. There are 6 Goldberries and they start the fight by making you absorb the Restorative element (Dying and then being revived via Phoenix doesn't get rid of it). It is safe to say I haven't discovered a suitable strategy for this fight, among the Max HP Formula attacks (Not Gravity), Current HP Formula attacks (Not Gravity), Dual etc. it's painful to say the least.

There are some other issues with the fight, such as my characters growing to ridiculous sizes (all hail the 30 Feet Tall Vincent). I also tried to see if Aeris' Pulse of Life Limit Break would ignore the whole Restorative Element thing and... It said Recovery but it just meant my character was lying dead on the floor with full HP (4575/4575 HP and Red HP Bar).

I also somehow ended up with all my characters dead on the floor but with two of them they had 263 and 148 HP remaining. The game does not go to Game Over and the Goldberries just stand there staring at the corpses of my Party Members.

Would capping accuracy be that useful since there's still a lot of other ways to instant kill, like Odin for example ? (fight would be a bit longer tho).

I wonder if there's a way to avoid the status preventing the use of restorative. I'm not at this point yet, but so far the only idea I have is that you could try a "Sneak attack" = "Heal" to cast resist on your party. It might not work if the AI is the same as the Curator (Curator will hit first, you will use sneak attack, curator will do his second attack before anyone can play a turn). The other solution would be to shield your team but it would be again useless if they have non-elemental, non-physical damage.

Skirmish

• Don't do Sources kids.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: 2016-04-16 08:53:43 »
Would capping accuracy be that useful since there's still a lot of other ways to instant kill, like Odin for example ? (fight would be a bit longer tho).

I wonder if there's a way to avoid the status preventing the use of restorative. I'm not at this point yet, but so far the only idea I have is that you could try a "Sneak attack" = "Heal" to cast resist on your party. It might not work if the AI is the same as the Curator (Curator will hit first, you will use sneak attack, curator will do his second attack before anyone can play a turn). The other solution would be to shield your team but it would be again useless if they have non-elemental, non-physical damage.
Part of it is the whole cost/time part of things. Odin has a rather long animation and like all summons cost a significant amount of MP, where with Flash and a 255% Acc Weapon, it's extremely quick and costs 0 MP. Out of the things that can inflict instant death it absolutely stomps on everything else in terms of effectiveness, speed and cost.

Heal + Sneak Attack doesn't work, the AI is indeed the same as Curator in that it gets the move in before anyone can Sneak Attack. I think all their attacks are Non-Elemental and some use both Current HP and Max HP Formulae. Not to mention they can inflict Dual-Drain and some of them get Peerless under conditions I'm not too sure of.

deha0002

• View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: 2016-04-16 11:20:51 »
So the battle script for Netzech, how does it work? Sometimes he does one magitek bomb, sometimes 3 in a row even without his minions up (guess what, 3 in a row mostly kills my casters even with Wall up, wierd huh?). Same with the other abilities, what triggers all of it?

It looks like i got to take a break from NT for a while, Netzechariah made me so mad. After countless of strats and tries i manage to find a rhythm to fight him (involving wasting a lot of megaelixirs, luck and whatnot). Around 30 min later with "intense" combat i manage to beat him.....but wait there is more. The last challenge showed itself just as i though i was dealing the final blow.

The secret ability that the boss hasn't shown up until then was a last resort attack that was sure to put a kink in my plans.No matter the preparation i could have not prepared myself for the ultimate ability called.....wait for it.....

"Soft-Lock" of Mechanical Doom!!!

Any tactics i can use to beat this hidden deadly attack?  ;)
« Last Edit: 2016-04-16 14:03:00 by deha0002 »

Bowser9

• View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: 2016-04-16 12:17:24 »
After the events in Mideel, when Cloud is talking to the party in the Operation Room, he says that all members of SOLDIER are injected with Jenova cells. If this is a change you've just chosen to make then fair enough, but I think SOLDIER is just made with Make showers and training, and the wiki didn't mention anything about SOLDIER having Jenova cells. Just thought I'd mention it.

That's in the vanilla. If it bothers you, you'll have to stick with Reunion, though I'm not sure how different that line is. I've been playing nothing but NT and so Reunion is just sitting on my backlog.

aquecoucou

• View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: 2016-04-16 12:56:35 »
Heal + Sneak Attack doesn't work, the AI is indeed the same as Curator in that it gets the move in before anyone can Sneak Attack. I think all their attacks are Non-Elemental and some use both Current HP and Max HP Formulae. Not to mention they can inflict Dual-Drain and some of them get Peerless under conditions I'm not too sure of.

The fight might be broken. I can only reach a 25% winrate depending on RNG. The only way I can actually beat them is using Cloud Omnislash with his ultimate weapon + Cid Highwind with masamune and finally have Yuffie with Conformer doing a slash-all to finish (will deal 9999 to all).

I did some tries to test stuff around :
-They are pretty slow to reach you in melee, and will only use a technique that will petrify once timer is done (not a big threat at all)
-Their counter attacks will apply on each hit if you're using a multi-hit command (slash-all, added-cut = mug, double cut,..) except on multi-hit limit breaks (each one will only attack once)
-Their pool of counter attacks is the following (all are single target):
*Very low damage + a lot of statuses (poison, mini, confu, ..)
*2/3 of your CURRENT HP (not totally sure about the rate, but can't kill you)
*1/2 of your MAX HP (not sure, according  to the tool it might depend of the number of escape)
*Removing few MP + casts reflect on the character targeted

-The peerless status seems totally random (have seen it only twice) but can't be dispelled
-Using an All = Dispel on them (and even though there is nothing to dispel) will make all counter attack
-Shield is useless
-Magic is useless (high M def and will trigger counter attacks)
-They are immune to all negative statuses except fury.

Edit: KotR might be the only 100% solution success since they have low HP. But according to deha0002 we can't have the materia due to the current softlock problem :D
« Last Edit: 2016-04-16 13:17:38 by aquecoucou »

GrieverVIII

• View Profile
« Reply #3345 on: 2016-04-16 13:25:34 »
That's in the vanilla. If it bothers you, you'll have to stick with Reunion, though I'm not sure how different that line is. I've been playing nothing but NT and so Reunion is just sitting on my backlog.

Is it really? Well, my mistake. I haven't played the vanilla in quite a while and the line just seemed wrong to me, so I assumed it was changed. Perhaps it was later reconned out of the story? I'm not sure. Perhaps I'm just wrong and all SOLDIERs do have Jenova cells.

Skirmish

• Don't do Sources kids.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: 2016-04-16 13:36:30 »
The fight might be broken. I can only reach a 25% winrate depending on RNG. The only way I can actually beat them is using Cloud Omnislash with his ultimate weapon + Cid Highwind with masamune and finally have Yuffie with Conformer doing a slash-all to finish (will deal 9999 to all).

I did some tries to test stuff around :
-They are pretty slow to reach you in melee, and will only use a technique that will petrify once timer is done (not a big threat at all)
-Their counter attacks will apply on each hit if you're using a multi-hit command (slash-all, added-cut = mug, double cut,..) except on multi-hit limit breaks (each one will only attack once)
-Their pool of counter attacks is the following (all are single target):
*Very low damage + a lot of statuses (poison, mini, confu, ..)
*2/3 of your CURRENT HP (not totally sure about the rate, but can't kill you)
*1/2 of your MAX HP (not sure, according  to the tool it might depend of the number of escape)
*Removing few MP + casts reflect on the character targeted

-The peerless status seems totally random (have seen it only twice) but can't be dispelled
-Using an All = Dispel on them (and even though there is nothing to dispel) will make all counter attack
-Shield is useless
-Magic is useless (high M def and will trigger counter attacks)
-They are immune to all negative statuses except fury.

Edit: KotR might be the only 100% solution success since they have low HP. But according to deha0002 we can't have the materia due to the current softlock problem :D
How much HP does each Goldberry have? I'd like to test a couple of things out on these guys and knowing how much HP they have will let me know if it's worthwhile or not.

Now I've been doing a No-Rank up run of the game so I'm not sure what kind of stat defecit I have at this point. I imagine most other people wll have significantly stronger characters.

deha0002

• View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: 2016-04-16 14:07:35 »
How much HP does each Goldberry have? I'd like to test a couple of things out on these guys and knowing how much HP they have will let me know if it's worthwhile or not.

Now I've been doing a No-Rank up run of the game so I'm not sure what kind of stat defecit I have at this point. I imagine most other people wll have significantly stronger characters.

52 000 each.
A tip is to get ProudClod.exe and you can check the stats and drops of all enemies.

IvoryValor

• View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: 2016-04-16 14:40:13 »
Hello, I'm really interested in trying this mod. I have the steam version of FF7 and have been trying to get the patcher to work. I've tried, and it just doesn't run, I just get my cursor with the circle next to it until I close the folder. I've tried running it in compatibility mode, as well as an administrator(Crashes Windows Explorer entirely.)

Could someone please help me?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: 2016-04-16 16:25:41 »

It should be similar to Jenova Birth's/Vector's AI; I did not know that Tail Laser/Magitek Bomb could be used three times though, I thought the max was two. What I could try and do is remove the random checks in there and leave it with the 'one per party member' check for the single-target attacks and 1 Magitek Bomb.

Additional Advice:

I always forget about Gravity.

In the Shinra Mansion, when you read the note that gives you the hints for the Safe Combination. There's a 5th row which says The fifth row has been blank and underneath it is written (melody). I assume you need to play something on the broken piano but past that I don't have a clue.

-----

I completed the Sidequest for Tifa's L4 Limit Break. As far as I know Vargas starts with extremely high defensive stats and they drop as you perform each of Tifa's Limit Breaks on him, it's a cool mechanic however... He has a very large Health Pool (Not always fun by the way) but the fight is heavily trivialised by his vulnerability to Poison (Ticks 9999's), Gravity doing sizeable damage even with just the standard Demi Spell and L5 Suicide hitting him for 9999's for most of the fight.

Is he supposed to be relatively simple because I saw that Tifa said "So much for that" upon defeating him? It does seem that Vargas is a bit soft in the head. Furthermore he's a big fella, how did he fit through the door of Tifa's Room to leave that note?

-----

Since I've reached the bottom of the North Cave I'm now doing sidequests for L4 Limits and stuff, as part of the Limit Break Kills grinding process I decided to head down to Mideel with Precious Watches (Triple AP) and use the Flash command for some instant kills. Now the whole hit and miss deal with Flash wouldn't normally be an issue however I found that using Flash + Restore Rod (Aeris Weapon, 255% Acc) means you pretty much instant kill everything in the area without missing (except for the Hippogriffs).

-----

One of life's mysteries I guess.

Vargas was put together last minute; the idea was to lower his defence with a Limit (in FF6, you beat Vargas using one of Sabin's Blitzes) but the other idea was to have a high HP pool that needs a combination of Poison + high-damage attacks to whittle down (9999 ticks means you can have more than the usual 16 or 32 ticks for the fight) but I guess it doesn't mesh. I'll be looking to improve on it at some point, and I also need to fix up the Magnade AI in general; I think a sword flies out when he uses Dropkick? That's an animation error enemies use when they can't find a proper animation ID for the attack.

Flash I think uses the weapon accuracy and if it has it's own accuracy then it'll be in the .EXE somewhere, like Deathblow. As Flash is a very late command (later Disc 2 or so and needs a lot of AP?) and most North Crater enemies (should) be immune to Death, I don't mind enemies in the other areas being farmed quite so much; they've ran their course by that point.

That sounds interesting with the Goldberries; I remember a test where I found you could make a character 'immortal' by having them be at 0HP but with the Death status removed (but not their MaxHP, otherwise it caused a crash; it was a prototype that ended up being the MaxMP reducing Spirit Needles). One of the attacks does increase the size of the party member slightly, but doesn't actually have any other effect. If it's possible to create a situation where the game is soft-locked, though, then I might need to revise the fight again.

I think early in the game they say it's just Mako and surgery, but later on Cloud reveals the truth about it (from the original PSX script):

Cloud
         "You see, someone in SOLDIER isn't simply exposed to Mako energy."
         "Their bodies are actually injected with Jenova cells......"
         "For better or for worse, only the strong can enter SOLDIER."
         "It has nothing to do with the Jenova Reunion."
         "But weak people...... like me, get lost in the whole thing."

It's set with a flag, so resistances won't work. However, you can heal using any element so long as you absorb it; so if you all absorb Fire then you  could use Flare/fire-element physical attacks to heal. Problem is that the player party's defences are treated as doubled in-battle so you might need to stick with something that ignores defence.

Part of it is the whole cost/time part of things. Odin has a rather long animation and like all summons cost a significant amount of MP, where with Flash and a 255% Acc Weapon, it's extremely quick and costs 0 MP. Out of the things that can inflict instant death it absolutely stomps on everything else in terms of effectiveness, speed and cost.

They gain Peerless or Reflect depending on if they move Left or Right. These two statuses are removed if they move forward. However, in both cases the enemy isn't visually updated with the Peerless status until they're attacked, so you gotta remember....

It looks like i got to take a break from NT for a while, Netzechariah made me so mad. After countless of strats and tries i manage to find a rhythm to fight him (involving wasting a lot of megaelixirs, luck and whatnot). Around 30 min later with "intense" combat i manage to beat him.....but wait there is more. The last challenge showed itself just as i though i was dealing the final blow.

The secret ability that the boss hasn't shown up until then was a last resort attack that was sure to put a kink in my plans.No matter the preparation i could have not prepared myself for the ultimate ability called.....wait for it.....

"Soft-Lock" of Mechanical Doom!!!

Any tactics i can use to beat this hidden deadly attack?  ;)

That's really disappointing that it broke; might be the adds not being cleaned up properly or maybe an attack that wasn't set. I could set up a secret backdoor so you can get the KOTR Materia rather than fight it again? I'll get it fixed ASAP in any case.

Hello, I'm really interested in trying this mod. I have the steam version of FF7 and have been trying to get the patcher to work. I've tried, and it just doesn't run, I just get my cursor with the circle next to it until I close the folder. I've tried running it in compatibility mode, as well as an administrator(Crashes Windows Explorer entirely.)

Could someone please help me?

What version of Windows is it? Might be that the patcher program is either too old, or that there's some kind of security issue at play. I'll arrange an alternative either way.