Author Topic: [Request] Weapon adding / Weapon slot modifier  (Read 6102 times)

Gingercat

• View Profile
[Request] Weapon adding / Weapon slot modifier
« on: 2007-09-08 06:22:20 »
Hey guys. I love the NPC Reconstruction Mod; love it love it love it.

I've had a look around the Net for something that would allow me to modify (or even add new) weapons to FF7 PC, but haven't had any luck. Has there been something like this created, or is anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Essentially I wouldn't mind cruising the world with an 8-slot all-linked Double (or Triple!) growth weapon for each character, with reasonable attack power to compensate for the Materia growth/flexibility... Instead of being hugely powerful with an attack value of, say, 110, it'd be more like 62.

Same sorta deal for Armor items.

It'd be really fun to know how to modify existing weapons to change their various stats, ie slots (linked / unlinked), power, added effects ("drains [cold] but auto-poisons your character, muahaha!!").

Any ideas, suggestions, etc?

PS: My skill-level pretty much consists of being able to follow instructions / use a GUI... Code by itself baffles me, but I can modify it by following instructions. :)
« Last Edit: 2007-09-09 13:19:15 by Gingercat »

LeeHiOoO

• View Profile
Re: [Request] Weapon adding / Weapon slot modifier
« Reply #1 on: 2008-09-24 11:08:41 »
You can modify existing weapons using hex editor.
You need to decompress kernel.bin from its g-zip format... I recall a program 'ff7_gzip' that can easily do that for you.
Then you would need to 'hex-edit' section 6 of the kernel.

try http://wiki.qhimm.com/FF7/Weapon_data for more info on hex values...

tip: backup first  :wink:

Gingercat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-09-24 21:05:59 »
Neat!
Thanks for the reply, I'll be messing with this in my spare time to see what I can come up with :)

Thanks!

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #3 on: 2008-09-25 12:03:25 »
Hi all! This is my first post here, but I've been visiting these forums off and on for months now. All the while getting awesome patches and enhancements to FF7. I'm really impressed by the community effort put into this!

On topic: This is exactly the thing I conceived of making yesterday. I know Teioh will open kernel2.bin, but I DO want to modify/create weapons, armor, accessories, items and make it a stable resource for other people to use. The biggest obstacle I can see is the BIN-GZIP of kernel.bin. ff7_gzip would work perfectly with this, but the documentation doesn't come with the zip package. Can someone point me to a website or tell me the command format so that I can use this with my project? The wiki has awesome documentation and I have already done a few proof of concept trials so I think this will work if I can get past this hurdle.

I'd like it to work for PC and PSX and, correct me if I'm wrong, the kernel.bin files are the same, right? If so that issue is moot. I have experience with this sort of thing and am the author of a few (albeit, slightly outdated) emulator tools. I'd love to give this a shot since no one has done so yet.

LeeHiOoO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008-09-25 12:46:13 »
Welcome to the board NFITC1!  :wink:

so.. when u unpack ff7gzip u should see a file named "ff7dec.exe"
you will pretty much work only with this one..
the arguments is as follow:

Code: [Select]
Syntax: ff7dec d file.bin

decodes file.bin in file.bin0, file.bin1, file.bin2, etc etc

ff7dec e file.bin

encodes file.bin0, file.bin1, file.bin2, etc etc in file.bin

u can put kernel.bin in the same folder as ff7gzip then u just enter in prompt something like this:

C:\EXAMPLE\ff7gzip\ff7dec d kernel.bin

on psx version... just kernel.bin itself does all the stuff...
on pc version... kernel.bin actually it haves 27 sectors... but only the first 9 are really used...
"sectors 10-27 were put in this secondary kernel archive called kernel2.bin. The data was ungzipped from the original archive, concatenated together, and then LZSed into a single archive with a 4 byte header giving the length of the file." (wiki text)
You can un-lzs it using Ficelzs prog... or u can edit using Teioh as u already said...

for more info about kernel.bin files check wiki at http://wiki.qhimm.com/FF7/Kernel/Kernel.bin

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #5 on: 2008-09-25 13:14:55 »
That's great, Lee, thanks. Just one more question: Do the files ff7dec create still gzip'd or are they raw?

I'm cool with the PC version having a kernel2.bin. I really only wanted to edit the data for the items/weapons/armor (only the first 9 files anyway), but leave the text to the already functioning Teioh. I'm guessing that the kernel.bin on the PSX was an attempt to force regionalization (among other things) and the kernel2.bin on the PC was a way out of that. So am I correct in assuming that the two kernel.bin files are identical? If that's the case then there'll be no problem.

PS - I'm thinking of calling this prog "Wall Market". Appropriate, no? ;)

LeeHiOoO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008-09-25 13:51:45 »
after you decompress it with ff7dec... you should have raw formats of each section
named .bin0 .bin1 .bin2 and so on... remembering that .bin0 stands for section 1.... so don't make mistakes in this as some people do...

and yeah... even though pc version don't use the entire kernel.bin sectors... the files from pc and psx version are identical

nice name picking for your mod  :lol:
looking forward to test it

LeeH

Gingercat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008-09-26 10:18:35 »
That would DEFINITELY be a very, very neat little program to work with.

Awesome idea. I love how Teioh works, and I'd love Wall Market as well ;)