Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod (v1.0.7.2)  (Read 1092477 times)

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
Re: gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod
« Reply #700 on: 2010-06-29 18:37:10 »
Hi there

First, thanks a lot for this awesome mod! I wanted to start ff7 over, but was demotivated because of its lack of difficulty... That was before I discovered this!

But then, I have a question. I am running on the french version of FF7 (bought it a long time ago), and when I installed your mod, it said that "flevel.lgp is missing". So i searched for this file in my installation, and it happens that I have a file called fflevel.lgp, a quick search on internet learnt me that this file is for the french version... So, I renamed it to flevel.lgp, ran your patch again and it worked, and I named it back again to fflevel.lgp.

But I'm not sure whether it will work... I've read that patching flevel.lgp adds new bosses/monsters, will they be ok or will I encounter bugs?

Also, the game is half french half english, it is quite strange but I don't really mind (dialogs are in french, items are english...), though if someone knows how to turn everything to english (without downloading the whole game on torrent of course) it would be nice!

Again, thanks a lot for your mod, so far it is a great experience! I would never have believed that I would die one day on scorpion or air buster. The latter was a pain in the a** until I found the proper strategy... I was not using multiple saves, and I should really have bought an extra restore materia!

Oh... I was actually not aware the french verion called it fflevel.lgp.
The only way of knowing if there are bugs is by playing the game I guess. It should work no matter how the flevel files are organized. And some scenes in the game will be in english due to the patch. If you get hold of an english flevel, you obviously need to patch the flevel again.

Blah

• View Profile
« Reply #701 on: 2010-06-29 20:35:15 »
Hi again

I played a bit today and I bumped into the three bosses you added in the shinra building, when you find the lvl66 card (in the room where you have to find the parts). Nice one, I loved it :)

First time I died, second time I tried to steal them all (X-potion... crap... fairy ring... could be nice, but... WOOT! silver armlet!), and third time I came up with the right strategy I guess, removing all their MPs with barret's second limit since they can send fira, thundara, cure, and even revive, then kill the one with X-potion, then the one with fairy ring (I tried to steal it this time but it took ages, I gave up... I hope I won't need it on a boss later), then steal the silver armlet and kill the last one :) But they were quite tough.

So now I'm right outside Midgar, IMO the bosses after these three guys are too easy (the one in the elevator is barely harder than the original if not the same, the sample from Hojo is not hard to beat and rufus is quite weak too... for the final boss at the end of the highway, thunder + the armor with four slots (+30 magic) make it easy :) )

All this writing to say that my manipulation with fflevel works so far, no bug at all (maybe you could include it to your installer, for french users?).
Again, thanks a lot for your mod, I will come here again sometimes to tell you if I find some bugs.

EDIT : jeffdamann, you said that you could get shinra alphas from patrols outside Junon... That's where I am right now, I fought some of them and stole them, but I'm getting hi-potions instead! Are we talking about the same guys, or did gjoerulv modify his patch since?
« Last Edit: 2010-06-30 18:04:16 by Blah »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #702 on: 2010-06-30 21:12:11 »
Hi again

I played a bit today and I bumped into the three bosses you added in the shinra building, when you find the lvl66 card (in the room where you have to find the parts). Nice one, I loved it :)

First time I died, second time I tried to steal them all (X-potion... crap... fairy ring... could be nice, but... WOOT! silver armlet!), and third time I came up with the right strategy I guess, removing all their MPs with barret's second limit since they can send fira, thundara, cure, and even revive, then kill the one with X-potion, then the one with fairy ring (I tried to steal it this time but it took ages, I gave up... I hope I won't need it on a boss later), then steal the silver armlet and kill the last one :) But they were quite tough.

So now I'm right outside Midgar, IMO the bosses after these three guys are too easy (the one in the elevator is barely harder than the original if not the same, the sample from Hojo is not hard to beat and rufus is quite weak too... for the final boss at the end of the highway, thunder + the armor with four slots (+30 magic) make it easy :) )

All this writing to say that my manipulation with fflevel works so far, no bug at all (maybe you could include it to your installer, for french users?).
Again, thanks a lot for your mod, I will come here again sometimes to tell you if I find some bugs.

Other people've said Rufus is too hard lol. But, yeah, compared to the new ones I've made, some default bosses pales in comparrison. But most of my new bosses can be defeated quite esily with the right strategy.

EDIT : jeffdamann, you said that you could get shinra alphas from patrols outside Junon... That's where I am right now, I fought some of them and stole them, but I'm getting hi-potions instead! Are we talking about the same guys, or did gjoerulv modify his patch since?

You can steal that item from 'em but it's somewhat rare. All enemies in ff7 can have max 4 steal and drop items combined. But you can only get one item pr. enemy. Meaning if you steal 1 item, you won't be able to steal any other stuff or get a drop. Most enemies in ff7 have only 1 drop or steal item though. And, even though I tweaked some, you won't notice much difference when it comes to drops, steals and morphs in my mod.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: 2010-06-30 21:18:32 »
You can morph a heavens cloud VERY early in the game from a Heavy Tank(the rhino one, original)

Blah

• View Profile
« Reply #704 on: 2010-07-01 13:51:02 »
Rufus? Well I found him rather easy, but as you have only one char on this fight, I guess you can't make him too difficult, since it is hard to heal and attack at the same time.... And I had a silver armlet, that's maybe why I had no trouble with him.  But the two bosses in the elevator are REALLY too easy.

Ok for the shinra alphas, I could not get a single one from them (stole them four or five times, got hi potion each time). But I guess it would make the game too easy, and there is no point to play a hardcore version if you level up too much and get a kick ass stuff too early! Still a good information to be aware of.

So far so good, I will try to kill jenova birth soon when I find some time to play (very important exams soon), I will let you know if I find some parts too easy, or too hard, or if I find any bugs etc... I love your mod :p

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #705 on: 2010-07-01 20:51:32 »
So far so good, I will try to kill jenova birth soon when I find some time to play (very important exams soon), I will let you know if I find some parts too easy, or too hard, or if I find any bugs etc... I love your mod :p

Sounds good! Even though I intentionally made this mod to suit my "needs", originally, I like feedback.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: 2010-07-02 02:23:08 »
I just want to thank you for the greatest gift FF7 has given me in a decade....a game over screen...before guard scorpion! you have totally revived my interest in FF7 with your mod, and i want to thank you!

lee

Klownboy

• But. . .I let you die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: 2010-07-02 13:06:22 »
been a while since I've posted here lol,
but i just got my Shinra alpha's. . .that was a pain  :x
the bosses on the elevator seemed pretty easy, didn't really find a difference from the unmodified boss.
and Rufus was pretty easy, just sat there and had him attack me, for my limit, healed when needed.
and am now at Jenova Birth, or Life...idk. The one on the Ship to costa del sol. and having a bit of trouble there. heh

EDIT: lol JK, Jenova Birth was pretty easy, gotta love Planet Protector ^^ idk what imma do when she dies though... :cry:
« Last Edit: 2010-07-02 13:26:03 by Klownboy »

Blah

• View Profile
« Reply #708 on: 2010-07-02 20:29:41 »
WOW guys you are amazing! I would not have such patience... I just killed jenova birth at level 18, I had no lvl2 limit and no lvl2 magic... Now THIS was a pain! I put long range and power wrist to cloud, he only attacked (since she is weak to cut), while tifa and nanaki were the healers... But she inflicts a lot of damage! For me this was the first really hard boss (along with the air buster, but if I had bought a second restore for him I would not have had such trouble). I was very lucky that I bought an accessory that protects from stop at Junon, since she cast several times stop on the same character that was immune to it, wasting a lot of attacks :)

But if the difficulty keeps rising like this, I will have to XP a lot and finally get those shinra alphas!
(oh, and I tried to XP a bit on costa del sol's beaches, I died against two sea horses. I was not expecting those one-shot kills from them! you are evil)

I feel kind of nostalgic for the summons, though... Only one level, costs a lot of mps, and not that powerful... I no longer equip these materias.

Well, I'm going to another town soon (IRL I mean :) to pass some oral exams. I will come back in a week or so to annoy you again with my detailed feedback. I'm gonna miss FF7! Your mod is truly amazing. It is really giving a whole new meaning to this already awesome game!

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: 2010-07-02 21:41:40 »
My tips after the marshes and fort condor is to go to the forsests near the sleeping man.There you can encounter the 5 little tree guys and kill them with 2 lvl 2 spells(or fire fang if you stole many of them from the train graveyard(I got 99 lol)

Or you will fight 3 flying creatures that resemble purple jets.Same deal, easy kill.You can run into MANY junon patrons on Junons beaches, and I would recommend fighting in these forests till you have all 3 lvl 3 limits(only takes like an hour and a half, wayy less than that if you use speedhack,I run at 20 times speed once Im strong enough and just buy tents)Doing this will make the next continent a BREEZE, especially if you go to junons beaches to steal 3 shinra alphas.You should be like lvl 28 or so.

If any one needs any more in depth help, please feel free to ask me, also wait until you get to proud clod and beyond, or fight the materia cave bosses, or gelinka...youll see what hard really is.

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #710 on: 2010-07-02 22:48:10 »
When I played through this mod, a dog creature in the corel prison used the enemy skill '????' on me and I learned it.
I was happy because I thought you could only learn it at the shinra mansion.

Using that move effectively makes things much easier.

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: 2010-07-03 00:07:26 »
gotta love Planet Protector ^^ idk what imma do when she dies though... :cry:

Hm.  Should consider getting life insurance for her ;)

Klownboy

• But. . .I let you die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: 2010-07-03 01:06:28 »
gotta love Planet Protector ^^ idk what imma do when she dies though... :cry:

Hm.  Should consider getting life insurance for her ;)

or perhaps I will just try and finish what hojo tried to start, and hope the off spring will have Aeriths abilities.  :evil:

or just wait till espio, releases his patch  :-P

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: 2010-07-03 01:09:57 »
I'm imagining an army of Planet Protecting Red XIIIs with Aeris hair.

Klownboy

• But. . .I let you die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: 2010-07-03 01:19:22 »
I'm imagining an army of Planet Protecting Red XIIIs with Aeris hair.

oh god. . . .what have i done? :-\

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: 2010-07-03 19:47:02 »
Im having a problem with th hardcore mod. When I first came to this site, I got the remix patcher, materia fix, and thats about it.
Using the remix patcher I went InstallYAMPhardcore and use it, then RunRemixHardcore and played and was succefully on hardcore any time I played.

Well I corrupted my lgp with lgptools finally(I see what you guys meant now)and had to re-install the game.
Upon re-installation I followed the same steps, only when run remixhardcore opens the cmd dialogue says the files are either duplicated or not found lol. The game then runs HORRENDOUSLY slow(a few fps) but upon closing and opening regular FF the speed is backup.

Needless to say still no hardcore mod, so, I downloaded 1.0.1 and tried it, it says it cannot find scene.bin even though it is clearly there. It patches the rest of the files and I guess since scene.bin went unpatched it didnt work.

All I know is I remember running either installYAMPhardcore or runremixhardcore one time and had the 9999lb patch and goerulvs mod and never worried again

Gotta finish my hardcore game!Lvl80 with 15 master hps, 2 master doublecuts and a non master doublecut, 2 chars at 255 attack, one char with 255 vital, and Im at hojo/jenova(I WILL SLAUGHTER THEM, I did proud clod(used 4 hero drinks then abused meteorain lol, you do like 25k-30k damage a hit so one meteorain easily does 200k damage lol.)

I wanna finish!

Klownboy

• But. . .I let you die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: 2010-07-04 06:15:03 »
so i just got the tiny bronco, Palmer was a joke, as usual. didn't really see a difference from the original palmer.
and i have a question, at what lvl should i do the Junon leveling trick, currently i'm lvl 38, and they rape me   :|

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: 2010-07-04 06:39:16 »
I never successfully utilized it, instead, I took the bronco to mideel and fought in the grass area, run from the growing lizard, as I know not how to defeat it, as for the other enemies, you face a group of 5 small things, and a hippogriff.

Laser the hell out of hippogriff unless you wanna die.This is better than leveling in junon.

Klownboy

• But. . .I let you die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: 2010-07-04 07:07:34 »
well if the 5 little small things you're talking about are the head hunters. . . thay rape me, don't stand a chance against them.
and i don't seem to be able to run into a hippogriff, unless its with the Growing lizard. :|

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: 2010-07-04 07:28:24 »
forget the growing lizard, hippogriff comes alone, but the 5 things are quite easy if you have some hp plusses(you'll need a LOT mastered in hardcore to keep your hp near 30,000, there are some monsters that hit for that much lol.)Just cast some strong ALL magic or preferably lvl 2 spell items like fire fang or bolt plume(much more damage)Kill these suckers a few times with double growth equipment and youll be ahead of the game(for a while anyways.)

Klownboy

• But. . .I let you die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #720 on: 2010-07-04 07:31:21 »
well right now, cloud has just under 4k hp, while my other chars have around 2k hp xD
and each of the Head hunders usually do around 1-1.5k dmg

EDIT: i didn't really stand a chance against the lone Hippogriff either  :|

where would be another good place to lvl up other than the mideel area?
« Last Edit: 2010-07-04 08:19:44 by Klownboy »

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: 2010-07-04 10:45:12 »
If you will lvl up some hp plusses, you can defeat those no prob, I think I just had to resort to anything until I could beat those guys, who give WAAYYY more exp than junon leveling trick.

Also morph a heavens cloud from Heavy Tank in Gonagaga

Klownboy

• But. . .I let you die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: 2010-07-04 11:01:45 »
then i suppose my next question would be...wheres a good spot get get AP?   ;D

Mirenheart

• Pone
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: 2010-07-04 11:56:03 »
That's easy (unless the patch changed it)

The northern cave is the best place, (at least, I think so). Especially if you have plenty of elixirs. You can find Magic Pots, and feed 'em Elixirs, they'll give you a lot of AP. Movers give good AP too if you can kill them. I think you can steal elixirs from Tonberry Kings.

But this is only near the end of the game. I think most other places give an average amount of AP. I could be wrong, however.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-04 11:57:47 by Mirenheart »

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: 2010-07-04 12:19:12 »
I fought the petrify green dragon things and frogs in the forests around cosmo canyon until I could fight in mideel, worked very well.