Author Topic: New Logo....  (Read 11405 times)

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
New Logo....
« on: 2007-02-25 02:49:54 »
I was reminded today that we kind of do need a new logo....

The one we have is a little too close to Square's original one. Nor only this, bus if we plan to actully make this support mutiple games, it would probably be a good idea to make something a little more generic.

I like the green colors, and the font.

I've been partial to a crystal, like what you had in the 2D FF games. Cyb sent me a mock up here.

I was thinking something more sprite art-ish, with really big pixels. I'd like to keep the old font (You can't copyright a font, only the data used to make a font. i.e. the display is ok, but distributing a .ttf file without permission is not)

What can you guys come up with?

gigaherz

• View Profile
    • gigaherz's shitty stuff
Re: New Logo....
« Reply #1 on: 2007-02-25 18:39:52 »
Some quick splash, I don't like it too much myself, but works as a concept.

I made the gears and rendered them with the sky, then "cut" the borders to make it fade to white and added the Q-Gwars text.
I dont' have the font right now, but it can be changed later.

It might look nicer with the game name below the line (so it would need either a specific splash image for each engine, or the engine can "print" it over the splash at boot).

EDIT:

I changed the font to a FF-looking one. I made the "ears" chars smaller becasue, IMO, it looks nicer.
« Last Edit: 2007-02-25 20:39:42 by gigaherz »

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007-02-25 22:05:35 »
I would probably go for the top one as a work in progress logo.
The 2nd one is a FF style font and draws some similarities to the original logo, I would say steer clear of anything FF releated in promotional material for Q-Gears, includes the logo.

gigaherz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007-02-25 22:47:59 »
(You can't copyright a font, only the data used to make a font. i.e. the display is ok, but distributing a .ttf file without permission is not)

Well then what if you do your own font? even if it looks exactly the same, you aren't redistributing their font. :P
Like, the second image I posted uses a font I found in a public fonts site, not something copyrighted by squaresoft.

Jari

« Reply #4 on: 2007-02-25 22:59:43 »
If you really own it - meaning that you made it, then sure. But if you only own a license to use it on stuff (publications, art, etc) - like I'd imagine most font licenses to be - you are not allowed to distribute it.

I'm not sure what font you used, but the most often used FF-like font, Runic MT Condensed is not a free one. If someone is distributing it for free (oh hell, when someone is, I know that it's very easily available), they are breaking the law.

But like halkun said, this is meta discussion, you can use copyrighted fonts in the logo just fine, you just can't distribute them.

EDIT: Re-read your post, paid more attention this time. :) Making an identical duplicate of their font and distributing it might be a rather bad idea. Halkun does say that one can't copyright a font, and Googling seems to indicate that some people agree... but I wouldn't try it, if you don't have money to go to court. It wouldn't be the first time for a big company to sue someone into submission, even if they were wrong. Of course, in reality nobody would probably care about one silly typeface. :)
« Last Edit: 2007-02-25 23:05:22 by Jari »

gigaherz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007-02-26 00:06:46 »
That font is called "final fantasy" and includes chars that look like the ones in the "FINAL FANTASY" text in the title screen in the uppercase letters, and chars like the ones in the "squaresoft" logo in the lowercase letters, the rest of the font is "empty". I used Verdana to do the "-"...

I used this one: http://www.dafont.com/final-fantasy.font

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007-02-26 06:49:56 »
What I really meant to say was that we wouldn't want people to think the project was even remotely FF related by just looking at the logo (same reason we are changing from the original logo).

gigaherz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007-02-26 07:44:51 »
Ok I have been playing a bit more with that logo.

Made the gears background a less "light" (someone told me it was too "heavenly"), and changed to some other font that doesn't make you think of the FF logo.

Also added some extra text to fill the logo a bit... it would be read like "Open RPG Engine Q-Gears" (kinda like zelda's boss names :P), but that can be removed or changed in 2 secs.

The font is called Fragile Bombers and it's in here: http://www.1001freefonts.com/fonts/ffonts6.htm

EDIT: Ok I just messed up. I saved the psd file AFTER merging the layers while closing photoshop, meaning except the "Open RPG Engine" text (I added it later in a new layer), I can't change the fonts or colors anymore, unless I redo everything... :/
« Last Edit: 2007-02-26 08:10:04 by gigaherz »

Synergy Blades

« Reply #8 on: 2007-02-26 23:57:41 »
Thought I'd try a sort of abstract crystal, keeping the colours as requested. If I'm completely off from what you were thinking, or it's plain crap, just say so.  :-D

Jari

« Reply #9 on: 2007-02-27 00:21:38 »
It's vewy pwetty. Me like. :-)

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007-02-27 01:13:28 »
That looks fairly good.  Heh my mock up was photo realistic and not cartoonish enough :D

Cyb

nope

• nope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007-02-27 05:45:28 »
That's an awesome logo Synergy Blades.

gigaherz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007-02-27 06:34:23 »
I don't like the font, but the bg beats mine. :P

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007-02-27 06:53:06 »
They both look good, but hey the 2nd one has more detail gone into it.

gigaherz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007-02-27 16:56:28 »
Some other thingy for you...

still based on my gears, but now with a rusty look, and without the sky.

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 2007-02-27 17:17:51 »
I'm diggen the new crystal ^_^

Synergy Blades

« Reply #16 on: 2007-02-27 17:57:43 »
Alas, the crystal's design is not my own, as it's a Photoshop brush I have that just so happened to look as such  :-D. I'll send you a large version halkun, you can play with it/see what you think/etc.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007-02-27 20:49:25 »
halkun you need to specify exactly what text should appear on that thing too :D

Cyb

Cazador

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007-03-05 03:20:02 »
I like Synergy's  :-D

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007-03-25 10:46:26 »
After months of not visiting this site because I was too busy with my first semester of college, I eventually dropped out, which gave me enough time for these:

The first two are pretty much the same except for the background color. The third one was an accident, caused by me just screwing around after I was done, but I liked it enough to put it up anyway. The fourth one is the third one but with more lighting stuff.

edit: *quietly adds various lighting and glow effects to the first two images and adds a third, hoping nobody's seen any of them yet*
« Last Edit: 2007-03-25 11:14:49 by Covarr »

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 2007-03-25 15:39:50 »
dropping out of college == bad!

Why! Why do such a thing?

nope

• nope
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007-03-25 16:47:50 »
I really like the second one, subtle and dark.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007-03-25 18:33:15 »
dropping out of college == bad!

Why! Why do such a thing?
I failed most of my classes due to a lack of motivation, and I had too much free time on my hands so I got into the habit of doing absolutely nothing outside of class. This meant that I lost most of my scholarships and couldn't afford a second semester. I'll try again soon at a community college.