Author Topic: FF8 Launcher - Custom resolutions and 8-bit paletted textures fix (patch)  (Read 148793 times)

kite.hack

Awww, that is so dull  :xwell, at least you tried all you were able to do ^^. Maybe it'll work for you in a future version, you can still hope  :wink:

magixts

• View Profile
Tryed all of that im not worried about it anymore im just gonna put up with the sh*tty software renderer.
I don't really understand from your posts what it is you are trying to do.

Using the launcher is pretty simple:
Run the FF8 config application and set the game to run in hardware accelerated mode (640x480 fullscreen). This won't be possible unless 8-bit Paletted Textures check reads "Pass" or if you applied the Nvidia 1.2 patch in which case it will simply read "-".

If you experience black boxes around textures on a Nvidia GeForce 6+ series GPU you need to check the "8-bit Paletted Textures Fix" option in the launcher. ATI cards and earlier models of Nvidia GeForce cards should run the game fine without black boxes so no fix is needed.

Expert mode enables hotkeys (see the readme for details) that lets you adjust the uv-map compensation applied by the launcher. With Expert Mode disabled they are set at a fixed value which will yield bad results in many custom resolutions (especially if FSAA is being used). Hence with Expert Mode enabled it is possible to get rid of the line artifacts that you mentioned (note though that the default uv-map compensation value with Expert Mode checked is 0 which mean there's a good chance the artifacts will be visible until you make the necessary adjustments).

Stretch 4:3 Aspect Ratio should only be checked if you want the image to be stretched to fit your entire display. It only applies to non-4:3 AR custom resolutions. There will still be black borders at the top and bottom of the screen as they are included in the original game and I did not want to mess with them in the 1.31 release.
« Last Edit: 2008-01-23 21:01:36 by magixts »

S_BryaN_M

Well i cannot get the 8bit to pass and when i use the 8-bit fix on the custom launcher it still doesn't help with the black boxes.

magixts

• View Profile
Well i cannot get the 8bit to pass and when i use the 8-bit fix on the custom launcher it still doesn't help with the black boxes.
If you can't get the test to read pass then you need to download and install the official FF8 Nvidia GeForce patch from Eidos. It can be found here:
http://www.eidosinteractive.co.uk/support/patchinfo.html?ptid=38

After applying the patch the test for 8-bit Paletted Textures in the FF8 config application should read "-" and you will be able to choose hardware acceleration using D3D. If it does not; it would be the first time I've ever heard of it not working.
« Last Edit: 2008-01-24 04:45:15 by magixts »

magixts

• View Profile
I have uploaded the source for Final Fantasy VIII Launcher 1.31 rev9 to rapidshare (released under GPLv3):
http://rapidshare.com/files/87080293/ff8_launcher_v1.31.r9-source.rar

DirectX 6.1 SDK
http://rapidshare.com/files/87123406/dx61sdkimage.exe
« Last Edit: 2008-01-27 20:09:36 by magixts »

squallsiow

how to install ff8 launcher 1.31 rev9?

squallsiow

somehow after i installed the latest nvidia driver.......THE GAME BECOME DAMMED LAG!!!!!!!!! Why did it happen???????

Terid__K

somehow after i installed the latest nvidia driver.......THE GAME BECOME DAMMED LAG!!!!!!!!! Why did it happen???????

Indeed. The lastest driver is lagging the game horribly whenever there's a special object on-screen. I suggest to stick with 94.24.

Vradash

• View Profile
Wow, works like a charm! Thank you! :D

Would love to see something like this for Metal Gear Solid for the PC...hehe.

Troopermanaic

• View Profile
Hey I have a problem that plagues my game. I can play for 20-30 minutes before the game stops, it dosent crash just stops. All movement would stop but games music will continue to play. I can ctrl alt delete out but I have to restart from last checkpoint. Does anyone else have this problem?

Terid__K

Hey I have a problem that plagues my game. I can play for 20-30 minutes before the game stops, it dosent crash just stops. All movement would stop but games music will continue to play. I can ctrl alt delete out but I have to restart from last checkpoint. Does anyone else have this problem?

Which videocard are you using? This seems to be an issue with the newest Nvidia drivers. Downgrading them may help solve the problem, but I can't recomment any driver version unless I know which video card you have and which driver version you are currently using.

Troopermanaic

• View Profile
I am useing a ORIGINAL nvidia 7900GS with the newest drivers. Also I drop fps sometimes and is very frustrating.

Terid__K

Use the 93.71 drivers:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71_2.html

I use these with my GeForce 7600GS, and I have no problems whatsoever. Let me know if it works.

Troopermanaic

• View Profile
Use the 93.71 drivers:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71_2.html

I use these with my GeForce 7600GS, and I have no problems whatsoever. Let me know if it works.

OK ill play until it does it again if it dosent I will let you know.

Troopermanaic

• View Profile
yep did the trick thanks

xlovelikewinterx

has anybody made a windowed patch?

NellyD

HMM It all sems to start fine,  but the  FMV, it's INCREDIBLY choppy and laggy, completely un watchable and takes about 3 times as long to go through. Sound is jsut as choppy, this affects the Eidos loading graphic as well.
IF I Set the Launcher  to VIII's default resolution, it plays lag free.
Any fixes?

XP Pro, 933mhz, 1GB RAM.

I've tried lowering FF's FMV quality as well, tried software rendering, all the config files basically.
Had to do the C++ and EAX file installation as well.
Plays great without launcher. I have the 1.2 patch (non Nvida) installed, andd graphics get Pass, btw....

bchan009

I'm using a Geforce 8 series card, so I can't use any driver older than 101.xx or 169.xx...does anyone know of a driver that I can install so that I won't get the evil lag/stuttering problem?  Thanks!  :oops:

NellyD

HMM It all sems to start fine,  but the  FMV, it's INCREDIBLY choppy and laggy, completely un watchable and takes about 3 times as long to go through. Sound is jsut as choppy, this affects the Eidos loading graphic as well.
IF I Set the Launcher  to VIII's default resolution, it plays lag free.
Any fixes?

XP Pro, 933mhz, 1GB RAM.

I've tried lowering FF's FMV quality as well, tried software rendering, all the config files basically.
Had to do the C++ and EAX file installation as well.
Plays great without launcher. I have the 1.2 patch (non Nvida) installed, andd graphics get Pass, btw....

Just to further add to my situation/info:

I've got the K-Lite Codec pack, and Div X, also I'm running off genuine FF VIII discs.

In another topic, someone mentioned (just FFVIII not the launcher specifically) that turning sound acceleration to zero helps FMV's, no such luck for me.

I've even updated my sound drivers but oddly, this makes the game not start at all, so I've had to roll back.

And trying both apps in win98 compatibility yielded no results :(
As a side note, I can run both just fine in XP, no compatibility issues or anything. (in quarter screen of course)
Any ideas anyone?

Terid__K

K-Lite Codec pack has no effect on FF8. It uses the bink codec to render the movies, and it already comes with the game (binkw32.dll). K-Lite Codec pack does not support bink playback (At least the standard version doesn't), so don't worry about it.

Oh, and don't try to replace the bink dll. All it will do is prevent FF8 from starting up.

The only thing I can suggest right now is for you to turn off Eax in the FF8 Config. Are you using an Ati card?

NellyD

I've not messed with  the .dll's at all :)

It's an on-board laptop (toshiba Portege 4010) gfx card, nothing good, but not that complicated either.

And low and behold your post has helped... in an indirect way.
I closed the lap top lid to reply, and when I've openen it up again, the FMV has switched to Quarter screen (default res) and plays fine, but when the game kicks in, it's in the launcher controlled 1278x940 resolution! Heh!

It's  an unfathomable work around, but it'll have to do, I guess.

X002

hello having little trouble with ff8 with the 1.3 loader . it gets rid of the black blocks well enough but when enemies in the game cast certain spells like demis or sigh or certain animations come into the screen i get a big slow down till the animation for the spell or whatever is done . if i software emulate this slow down does not happen but except for the slowdowns the hardware looks much better does anyone know what might be the cause of these slow downs for me and a way around them . iv played lots with my video card settings in nvidia control panel . also when i go to ff8config says 8 bit textures fail i have the 1.2 ff8 and other file for geforce cards in there .
my specs are

board - a8n sli deluxe
video - 2 geforce 7900 gtx
cpu - 4800+ amd
audio - realtek build on my board
memory - 2 gig

any help would be appreciated
« Last Edit: 2008-02-29 02:17:28 by X002 »

NellyD

ahh, X002 seems magixts was active just the other day, but no answer to our respective problems :(

Never mind, he's still done an incredible job, that  I could never do, and at least my gameplay is full  screen, :D cheers magixts.

X002

ahh k well i still haven't figured out why I'm gettin lagged out at certain areas from certain spells cast at me but i have figured out if your game crashes to desktop and it don't matter where but it will usually be the same spot. had this happening to me a bit finally figured out it was the midi music and windows media player not playing midi files right so downloaded winamp and told windows to open .midi file extensions with winamp and it seems to have fixed that problem anyhow .

still hoping to hear about any possible cures to the slowdowns from certain spell/animations happening !

« Last Edit: 2008-03-01 23:19:30 by X002 »

BigNutter

I know this may not be the place for it.. But How to I get FF8 to even RUN on my Toshiba Lappy.

I'd paste the System specs.. But when Toshiba has online should help: http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi-bin/ToshibaCSG/jsp/SUPPORTSECTION/discontinuedProductPage.do?PRODUCT_ID=128131&DISC_MODEL=1&service=UK

I've got a gig of RAM in Windows Vista reports it a 894 Meg of ram.

All it does is say "FF8.exe has stopped working." No matter what I do. I've boosted it up to 1.2 Non-Geforce.

I understand that an Error Log would help. How do I get that?