Author Topic: question on linux  (Read 4444 times)

kini

• View Profile
    • open source web
question on linux
« on: 2006-09-08 20:11:39 »
 i wanted to install win 98 on a partition so i can still play my old games and still use software for windows, since im at uni i need vb.net, jcreater and other windows based software, i was thinking win 98 over xp since to me its the lesser of two evils

but which version of linux would be better, there are loads of versions and differant ways to install them, i wanted one with a whole package open office etc

corpse

• View Profile
Re: question on linux
« Reply #1 on: 2006-09-09 14:37:31 »
I can reccomend Suse or redhat fedora

Sukaeto

• View Profile
    • Sukaeto's web server
« Reply #2 on: 2006-09-09 14:55:48 »
The easiest distros to start out with are Kubuntu and Freespire (Linspire, if you don't mind paying for support.)

If you want to be adventerous and are interested in learning a good amount about UNIX in general, though, go with either Gentoo or Slackware.

As far as the whole Win98 over WinXP thing goes:  Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, considering how crashy Win98 is), you may need to use Windows XP because I'm pretty sure Visual Sutdio.NET and later will not run on Windows 98.  If you *do* end up going with Windows XP, install it on a FAT 32 partition.  FAT32 a) is quicker and b) can be read/written to by Linux.  Since it's not your primary OS, I doubt you'll be needing the security of NTFS.

kini

• View Profile
    • open source web
« Reply #3 on: 2006-09-09 19:19:10 »
thanks for the advice guys, i didnt think about vb .net not working on 98, looks like i have to stick with XP,
i looked at the others, and i think Fedora might be best, , ive not done a partition for a while or ran linux other then boot from CD's, is there anythign else i should know about

Izban

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006-09-10 18:45:36 »
for linux im more inclinded towards freebsd but thats just because i have the books and a lot of free time then anything else

sfx1999

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006-09-13 12:36:10 »
When I last used it, Mandrake was pretty easy to use.

I've been using FreeBSD, also. I'm happy to say that it hasn't crashed. Ever.

Sukaeto

• View Profile
    • Sukaeto's web server
« Reply #6 on: 2006-09-15 04:18:16 »
i looked at the others, and i think Fedora might be best

People have been making quite a buzz over Fedora as of late.  I'll have to throw it on one of my bitch boxes and see what all the fuss is about.