Author Topic: Final Fantasy? Not every time...  (Read 10541 times)

ancientblade

• View Profile
Final Fantasy? Not every time...
« on: 2001-07-01 20:02:00 »
Hi there,

I just started this topic to talk about non Final Fantasy RPGs. Final Fantasy is top but what's about the other RPGs which doesn't even come from Squaresoft? Well, I personally love Grandia 2 from Ubisoft and Game Arts. It's great. The cool battle system and the great graphics are really enjoyable. There are no random enemy accounters, that means u can evade all enemys if u want to, but u don't want to because every battle in Grandia 2 makes a lot of fun because u can make real cool tactics to don't even loose 1 HP if u're lucky :-) Or remember Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore and the great Chrono Trigger on the Super Nintendo. Of course, they are from square but they really won over the Final Fantasy games on the snes.

What are your favorite non Final Fantasy RPGs?

MMiller8

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2001-07-01 20:14:00 »
I tried Baldur's gate, because it was an RPG like FF.  However, I discovered that I hated it.  There was NO STORY!  I like the FF's because the story progresses with almost anything you do.  I like Adventure Games, which are kind of like RPG's sans the battles, hp and level systems, plus more inane 'lateral thinking excercises'.

dagsverre

• View Profile
    • http://ffsf.cjb.net
« Reply #2 on: 2001-07-01 20:24:00 »
I would personally call Final Fantasy an adventure game rather than a RPG game because there is very little freedom, everything happens linearly. It's not like you can change the story-line yourself as you go.

Not saying anything against FF here, I love FF I just don't consider it a true RPG. And I don't think there's anything negative by not being a true RPG either.

Ant

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2001-07-01 22:18:00 »
Im looking forward to Dungeon Siege and Neverwinter Nights.

cHiBiMaRuKo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2001-07-01 22:27:00 »
Icewind Dale is excellent. Diablo 2 is also good ( plus FMVs that superior than any of Squarsoft offerings ). Baldur Gate ( and BG2 ) is good too. Black and White seems to be overrated. But PC have more better RPGs compared to consoles. Even Grandia 2 ( currently Dreamcast exclusive ) will come to PC  :) and not PS2.

But anyway, FF series is not exactly on top. There are many games out there that are much better that it.

MMiller8

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2001-07-01 23:22:00 »
I would have to disagree with you about that, dagsveere.  Adventure games are more like the Mokey Island games, or The Longest Journey.  There are no battles, no HP, stats, or anything.  You walk around a world, pick up items, use those items to solve the puzzles and in doing so, progress the story.  In my book, any game with repeat fighting (fighting as in you CONTROLLING the fighting)to progress the story or for any other purpose is not of the 'adventure' genre.

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 2001-07-02 00:06:00 »
I don't know ... regardless of the exact word we're gonna use to describe FF, it isn't a full blown RPG. Mainly, it's because you can't affect any of the main storyline events or affect how your characters develop. OK, most games don't allow you total freedom with the storyline, but Final Fantasy games less than most. Taking Baldurs Gate as the example, since it was mentioned, in that certain parts of the main plot might never happen at all. If you don't turn up at a particular place at the right time, you won't witness an event. OK, there's subquests in FF, but in Baldurs Gate there's plenty of main events like that. Plus you get to control how your characters develops, to an extent.

Personally I prefer FF games to the Baldurs Gate series, but they aren't as much of an RPG.

ancientblade

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2001-07-02 00:09:00 »
I don't like Diablo2. It isn't a real RPG, it's more hack'n slay. I think there aren't real good RPGs for the PC. Look at Silver, it's more an adventure and the control with the mouse is terrible!

Also I never heard of an PC version from Grandia2. Does anyone else? I just bought a dreamcast and Grandia2 because I thought it will not be released on PC or Gamecube (I hate PS2, it's much too expensive).

J*** H*******

« Reply #8 on: 2001-07-02 02:27:00 »
Message.

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
« Reply #9 on: 2001-07-02 05:01:00 »
Elder Scrolls....I think this next version is going to be a good one.

Privateer was one of my favorites. Xcom...the first one, was a good one. Half-life, Freespace 1 & 2, Wing Commander 3, Planescape Torment was OK.

[This message has been edited by Threesixty (edited July 02, 2001).]

Reznor007

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/ninninetynine
« Reply #10 on: 2001-07-02 06:53:00 »
Well, Chrono Trigger of course. MarioRPG. Secret of Mane. Earthbound(sweet game).

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
« Reply #11 on: 2001-07-02 10:49:00 »
I'm more into action, so I liked diablo, and diablo II, they were great, there are looots of special magical items, weapons, amulets and stuff, that is a thing that got me. I also like FallOut, both parts. But I'm not playing RPGs much, these are like more RPG-actions. But i played one real rpg, Feary tale adventures: halls of dead.

Joey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2001-07-02 13:42:00 »
I like Rage Of Mages.

MMiller8

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2001-07-02 17:55:00 »
My friend likes that game too, Joey.  He calls it 'Rages of Mages and Sages in Cages for Ages with...'  we can't get him to shut up; it goes on and on!

If you love story, I can't stress enough how you HAVE to play The Longest Journey!!! Buy it!  Play it!  Let it wash over you!  It's a wonderful experience.

[This message has been edited by MMiller8 (edited July 02, 2001).]

dagsverre

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2001-07-02 19:23:00 »
The makers of The Longest Journey is from Norway :-)

Haven't played it yet though, probably should sometime...

On RPGs:
I don't think character development is all that is needed for something to be an RPG, though I can agree that FF is something of a hybrid.

I have not heard anyone mention the *real* PC RPGs yet...the Ultima series (nine installments so far if I remember correctly) is probably the most successful of these. Then there's all the online RPG games, both the old type (MUDs, multi-user dungeons, mostly text based) and the new MMCRPGs (Massively Multiplayer Computer Role Playing Game, like Ultima Online and EverQuest).

If you have a look at the original meaning of RPG (pen, paper and strange dices) it becomes clear it is quite far away from the console RPGs (whether or not they should be called RPGs are another discussion), PC RPGs stay much more true to the RPG tradition. Not that that makes the console games any less fun (I'm not much of a PC RPGer myself).

[EDIT: Added section on RPGs]

[This message has been edited by dagsverre (edited July 02, 2001).]

MMiller8

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2001-07-02 22:27:00 »
Ooh!  Ooh!  That reminds me of the MMORPGS! (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games)  Everquest, Anarchy Online, The Elder Scrolls, Asheron's Call, Ultima Online, Star Wars: Galaxies, etc.  Never played one, but thousands of people can't be wrong.  Obviously SOMEBODY likes them.

Anonymous

« Reply #16 on: 2001-07-03 03:12:00 »
FF USED to have some of those changes where you could change the storyline...didn't affect the final outcome...but you could change some of the story...
Well, The Chrono series is a fave ^^
Plus there's the SaGa series...I doan just mean the frontiers, either. Ya'll prolly know about the whole deal with those 4 GB games which picked up different FF titles when they got to the US.
I happen to be aittle fond of Threads of Fate...hmm...Well there are a ton of RPG's I like ^^

dagsverre

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2001-07-03 17:16:00 »
Miller: MMORPGS is just another word for  MMCRPGS.

MMiller8

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2001-07-03 17:58:00 »
what does the 'c' stand for?  never heard of it said thataways.  Everyone in the games business i've read quotes of said mmOrpg.

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
« Reply #19 on: 2001-07-04 11:18:00 »
Hmm, I also played 'Dragons lair' we were playing heroes, with my friends. We used papers and those strange dices, but that were the Greatest adventures I ever played. And it was really realistic too (in my mind). One adventure took about 8 hours (usualy from late evening to early morning), but it was great.
And online text MUDs have also something cool in them, i played firedragon.com:6969, if somebody would like to try it.

StrayWings

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2001-07-19 16:21:00 »
 :)

whoa..kewl~

Personally, besides the FF series I like:
Baldur's Gate 2
Heroes III

har har...I am a very lite gamer..I usually buy a game, then finish it before moving to another one~ It's a long process..but it's OK I guess..

Well, there is also the 'side-dishes' for the main game like Demonstar, Chess, etc..

Anyone played Gilbert Goodmate yet?  :) Quite a fun game I must say..just finished it yesterday.

Well, I'd still prefer the FF series, especially FF7, the themes, love, friendship, big swords, bitter past, etc etc..

Anonymous

« Reply #21 on: 2001-07-22 06:50:00 »
diablo ii is not an rpg. damned good game tho. now if youll excuse me, my sorceress is calling.

StrayWings

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2001-07-30 05:31:00 »
Played Diablo II once, my PC was too slow and I started to get bored of waiting for loading and I deleted the game. *still got the save though*

I stopped somewhere near the (swamps??) - where there's these short monsters shotting darts at you..where you can get those cool-armoured mecnaries for hire... where was it? I can't remember..

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #23 on: 2001-07-30 09:46:00 »
Has anyone played Tales of Phantasia (SNES)?  It was recently translated by DeJap, its a FF-ish kinda game with a very unique battle system (almost like a fighter game).

I loved it.  I think it was probably better than some FF.

sENGzAI

• View Profile
    • http://ksfung.hypermart.net
« Reply #24 on: 2001-07-30 15:46:00 »
Final Fantasy is very good RPG and i also like it very much
but this can't mean other RPG not good and better have a try 1st