Author Topic: World Map Question  (Read 3610 times)

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
World Map Question
« on: 2002-09-28 10:00:12 »
How close are we go getting to a point where we can extract it as a mesh? I'd like to get a copy of it for my FF7 webcomic.

The SaiNt

• View Profile
World Map Question
« Reply #1 on: 2002-09-28 11:25:33 »
Not any closer than the last time.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
Maps..
« Reply #2 on: 2002-09-28 18:49:01 »
This is a wireframe picture I got from a friend a square

I don't have any other data as my research was lost when I migrated to linux.

I know it uses a packet format to render the tiles on the map, I tried to match the packets up to the PSX GPU packet format like the  FF8 models, but I could not align the packets properly...

How about someone getting us up to speed on what we *do* know.

-halkun

ShinRa Inc

• The Ascension of the Ordinary Man
    • View Profile
    • http://shinrainc.org
World Map Question
« Reply #3 on: 2002-09-29 01:33:37 »
I think I already pointed it out, but those images are at RPGamer, too.  There should be some World Map thread I made a few months ago with what little info we have on the Map in it

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
World Map Question
« Reply #4 on: 2002-10-01 18:29:54 »
Saint... I have an idea. Remember when I asked if the world map was done with an elevation map? What if I'm right? Fice brought up that such a map would be huge, and have to be highly detailed. That's very true... But I think we're forgetting something that FF7 takes full advantage of all the time; Vector colors/maps.

What if the elevation map is stored in the mesh itself as a vector map of some kind? You get detail for every point of the mesh, at very low overhead. Sending the vector map through a process to deform it before applying it to the mesh would make it easy to make it look like the world bends, and flattens.

Is this just a crazy I had, or could this be how they did it? Cause I really need to get my hands on that world mesh...

Goku7

• View Profile
World Map Question
« Reply #5 on: 2002-10-02 00:37:48 »
That may explain why FF7's map runs well on a 233mhz P1 with a V3 while FF8's map crawls at those specs.....

The SaiNt

• View Profile
World Map Question
« Reply #6 on: 2002-10-02 12:23:22 »
I'm currently not working on the world map at the moment. :)
I got distracted by battle section and Kingdom Hearts :P
So must of my free time goes to that.
Besides, I have an exam in about a months time, so I'm pretty busy studying as well.
I should be able to look at stuff again after my exam.