Author Topic: Programmer Wanted  (Read 2985 times)

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
Programmer Wanted
« on: 2003-02-19 22:05:54 »
This isn't really FF7 related, but it is technically related.

I need someone to create a program or something that will convert a Lightwave object (model) into a Maya 4.5 object.

I know Mirex has had a lot of experience with Lightwave objects, and I can get you a Maya 4.5 SDK, no problem.

Anyone wish to tackle this topic? If so, please respond!

Thanks in Advance!

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
Programmer Wanted
« Reply #1 on: 2003-02-22 07:18:03 »
What kind of file format uses Maya 4.5 ? I thought it uses OBJ files ... Yes im willing to make program for it, could you send me that SDK please ?

But its gonna be tough, because although i have Maya somewhere it works only on WinNT and i still dont have those. But I will do it !

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
Programmer Wanted
« Reply #2 on: 2003-02-22 09:19:14 »
While Maya imports .obj files, that's not it's primary format. Maya uses mostly Maya Binary files (.mb) and Maya ASCII files (.ma). They also seem to be version specific, like most .max files... (IE: Maya 4.0 file won't work with Maya 3.0, and sometimes, vice version, but not often...)

Here is a link to the Maya Dev tools section at Highend3D.com. They have a ton of info there. Here's a direct link to the Maya 4.5 Dev Kit.

If you can figure out a way to import LW Metanurbs as Maya Nurbs, you will be a GOD to a LOT of people!

Oh, if you have Windows 2000, or XP, it'll work. They're on the NT platform, remember?

And feel free to use me as your guiniue pig if you need to.

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
Programmer Wanted
« Reply #3 on: 2003-02-22 11:38:23 »
Ok, thanks for the links. I'll try to create something, but its gonna take some time. Meanwhile try looking for other possibilities.

If you can figure out a way to import LW Metanurbs as Maya Nurbs, you will be a GOD to a LOT of people!
i DON'T LIKE nurbs. But i'll try to get friendly with them. Being a god is good thingie :lol:
Oh, if you have Windows 2000, or XP, it'll work. They're on the NT platform, remember?
Yea i know but i dont have them ... but im planning to install XP.

when i was looking through list of plugins on page from your first link i saw there a "Lightwave Object Importer/Exporter NT v1.0" in the middle of page, aint it enough ?

And feel free to use me as your guiniue pig if you need to.
Heh I dont know what does that mean but i'll use you as beta-tester :)

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
Programmer Wanted
« Reply #4 on: 2003-02-22 20:01:46 »
Guiniue pig, Beta-tester... It means the same thing...

LW Importer: It works, but only for version 2.5 and 3.0. I have 4.5, and I've already tried to install it. Didn't work. And I don't have a copy of 3.0 anymore... :weep:

Well... Worry about the Nurbs after you get the polygons working.