Author Topic: Translation request, should be easy  (Read 2572 times)

ShinRa Inc

• The Ascension of the Ordinary Man
    • View Profile
    • http://shinrainc.org
Translation request, should be easy
« on: 2004-11-11 05:39:32 »
Since someone brought it up with me a little while ago, has anyone translated the kanji that's on the ShinRa logo?  I'd assumed it said ShinRa, but I was just told it doesn't.

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2004-11-11 12:15:39 »
Got a picture of it anywhere?
I probably have a few people I can nudge if no-one else can be bothered.

SephyCloudyWhatserface_Lil.Yufi

• Yuffie and Vincent... im a split personality
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2004-11-18 13:02:19 »
um i always thought it meant ShinRa
Hmm

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #3 on: 2004-11-18 15:34:56 »
For all intents and purposes, Shinra is meant to be just a name (in this case, the family name of the founder). And although there's no value in looking at the name's individual components, here's a quick explanation.

神 shin: gods, divine (also secondary connotations of mind and soul)
ç¾… ra: gauze, thin silk or net. Usually connotations of fine clothing, or being trapped or held back.

Quite a number of names ending in "-ra" use that particular kanji, so there's no real wonder where they could've found the inspiration; just slap "godly" onto it, makes it sound all eerie and powerful. As an interesting note, "Shinra" (æ–°ç¾…, same second character again) is an alternate pronounciation of an ancient Korean kingdom called "Shiragi" in Japanese.

The character probably also has older meanings that I'm not aware of, and also many phonetic uses, explaining its use in the very various situations it's used in (clothes, buddhist divinities, intimate bodyparts, gate names, not to mention as a writing for the pronounciation of "Latin")