Author Topic: FFVIII Crash  (Read 4193 times)

Aegis

FFVIII Crash
« on: 2007-09-07 01:26:51 »
I recently borrowed FFVIII from a friend but it seems to crash at one point. On disk one, when the escape from Dollet FMV plays, the game crashes on me. I tried changing it to low res in the configuration and the FMV played a bit further than it did on hi res but crashed anyways. I also tried patching it with the only patch I could find but that didn't help either. Any ideas on how to get past this?  :?

Also, if this problem has been addressed earlier, sorry in advance. I tried searching for another topic with this specific crash but I don't believe I've come across one.

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
Re: FFVIII Crash
« Reply #1 on: 2007-09-07 07:15:53 »
Hi, I'm not familiar with this problem, but from what I was reading on the forums I think that you can:
- try to install / copy the movies to harddisk ( http://www.ff7-universe.com/Downloads/FF7Movietweak.txt )
- if movies are on harddisk and it still crashes, and you are able to find the faulty .avi try to replace it with another, working .avi
- if nothing helps, post your game save file here, and maybe there will be someone here who will play it for you untill after the FMV.
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=6843.0

maybe you could look for advices in other threads with similair problem, try using search for "movie crash" or "copy movies to disk"

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #2 on: 2007-09-07 18:24:53 »
Have you tried making ISO images of your game discs and running FF8 using some drive emulator?

Aegis

« Reply #3 on: 2007-09-08 16:28:36 »
Thanks for responding.

But there are things I don't quite understand...

For example, mirex stated that I could find the faulty .avi's and replace them with another, working .avi. However, the only way I know how to even view the movie files by themselves is through Qhimm's "FF8FMV" (and through that method, I found several faulty movies but have no way to replace them).

Also, I'm playing the PC version so I'm not sure how ISO images and emulators would work with it.

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #4 on: 2007-09-08 17:19:33 »
Making ISO images would tell if it's a problem with scratched cd. And mirex was probably talking about ff7.

kruci

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007-09-08 18:24:32 »

FF8 use Binkvideos for movies, and files with movies are packed movies to one bigger files.
I had similar problem, but I only switched to lower res, and no problem.
You can try update binkw32.dll. (its try, but maybe useless)
You can try use some CD tools to get files from scrath CDs(isobuster) then recreate CD(if videos will be working in FF8fmv).
Or you can try insert dummy(any) bink video to FF8fmv files, if you are skilled enought.