Final Fantasy 8 > Releases

[FF8PC-2000/Steam] FFNx FF8Music (original files from PS1) (1.5)

(1/8) > >>

myst6re:

(upscale by MCINDUS)
Original MIDIs from PS1, a light alternative to Roses And Wine.

Download

For FFNx 1.8.x+: FFNx-FF8Music-v1.5.zip (only 14.1 MB!)
For FFNx 1.7.x: FFNx-FF8Music-v1.3.zip (only 11.8 MB!)

Installation (FFNx 1.8.x+)

1. You need to install FFNx 1.8.x+ first.
2. Copy the psf directory next to ff8.exe
3. Open FFNx.toml with a text editor
4. Set use_external_music to true (remove the # from the beginning of the line if any)
5. Set external_music_path to 'psf' (remove the # from the beginning of the line if any)
6. Set external_music_ext to 'minipsf' (remove the # from the beginning of the line if any)
7. Set he_bios_path to 'psf/hebios.bin' (remove the # from the beginning of the line if any)

Spoiler: Obsolete FFNx 1.7.x • showInstallation (FFNx 1.7.x Obsolete!)

1. You need to install FFNx 1.7.0 first.
2. Copy the psf directory next to ff8.exe
3. Open FFNx.cfg with a text editor
4. Set use_external_music to yes (remove the # from the beginning of the line if any)
5. Set external_music_path to psf (remove the # from the beginning of the line if any)
6. Set external_music_ext to minipsf (remove the # from the beginning of the line if any)
7. Set winamp_in_plugin to psf/in_psf.dll (remove the # from the beginning of the line if any)

Authors

Packed by myst6re.
FFNx uses the OpenPSF project to play PSF files.
Thanks to Neil Corlett for in_psf.dll and PSF files.
Thanks to Christopher Snowhill for its implementation of foo_psf.
concert-* tracks were created and converted to minipsf by myst6re from Neil Corlett PSFs.

Notable improvements (thanks to FFNx)

* A music is now paused before a battle (or a Triple Triad card game) and resumed after to the right time
* Music pause/resume is also implemented in field maps
* Music intro is skipped the second time
* Better volume changes
Known issues

* [Fixed in FFNx 1.11.x] The intro of the landing is playing on GGU battle
* [Fixed in FFNx 1.11.x] Horizon Concert does not work properly, remove "concert-" prefix from "concert-*.minipsf" files to fix this
* [Fixed in FFNx 1.9.x] Volume changes and music stops are sometimes a little abrupt, track the issue here
* [Fixed in FFNx 1.9.x] FFNx 1.8.x have performances issues when external_music is on
* FFNx 1.7.2 currently crashes when use_external_music is enabled in FF8. Use FFNx 1.8+ instead.
* [only FFNx 1.7.x] The Landing always starts with the intro. Workaround: replace psf/joriku2.minipsf by a OGG file
* [only FFNx 1.7.x] Instruments in the Horizon concert are currently not replaced. Native Midis will be used for all possible combination
* [only FFNx 1.7.x] Resuming music after battle can take few seconds sometimes
Changelog

* v1.5: Removing files for FFNx 1.7.x, adding F.H. concert files, adding music skip configuration
* v1.4: Adding required file for FFNx 1.8.x+.
* v1.3: Renaming gargade.minipsf (Galbadia Garden University, with intro) to gargarde.minipsf.
* v1.2: Easier installation. Adding french README.
* v1.1: Official release
* v1.0: Beta release
Alternatives

* Roses And Wine: Original Music (OGG format). The best alternative so far, but you need to download a bigger archive
* PlayStation Music Mod from Biggs: MIDIs recreated more closely to the original sound
See Also

* FFNx FF7Music
* FFNx topic

Zara9:
is this ff8 music mod bug free at all yet

myst6re:
See the list of known issues in the first post.

myst6re:
FFNx currently crashes when use_external_music is enabled in FF8. A fix is already available in the last canary.

myst6re:

--- Quote from: Cicciolo_ on 2020-06-26 23:52:53 ---I can't seem to be able to use FFNx at the moment because of some weird "incompatibility" (i saved near Esthar in the World Map with the vanilla game, but when i load it with the latest Canary version of FFNx and this mod, it loads at the center of the map, in the ocean lol), i don't want to try again for now to check myself so i'm going to ask if these other things have been fixed...

--- End quote ---

Please send me your save file

--- Quote from: Cicciolo_ on 2020-06-26 23:52:53 ---- About the Horizon concert instruments, does it work like the latest version of RaW where only the two "correct" versions could be played in the Shumi Village or is it improved to play all possible combinations of instruments, including the wrong ones?

--- End quote ---

All possible combinations :) but in midi. I hope I could improve that in the future, and replace them by psfs

--- Quote from: Cicciolo_ on 2020-06-26 23:52:53 ---- In Balamb (the town, not the Garden) there are two areas (outside of the hotel, and the harbor) where two tracks play at the same time (this is intended): the Balamb theme, and another one that i cannot remember (i mean the actual name of the file, it's a "ambient" track with the sound of the ocean and seagulls or something). Anyway when you play a game of Triple Triad in one of these two areas, the "ambient" track keeps playing along with "Shuffle or Boogie", and when you leave Triple Triad, the Balamb theme stops playing until you leave the town.

--- End quote ---

Okay I will investigate this issue, thanks!

--- Quote from: Cicciolo_ on 2020-06-26 23:52:53 ---ps: the link to the RaW thread should be removed as it's no more.

--- End quote ---

Yeah maybe

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version