Author Topic: What is her name?  (Read 24078 times)

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
Re: What is her name?
« Reply #25 on: 2009-06-17 02:36:15 »
No this is not to start a argument.

But please tell me you saw this coming.  If you're 14, then you should be perceptive enough.

And is arguing over this really necessary, everyone?  We are talking about a fictional character's name and whether it ends with "s" or "th".  Does it make the slightest difference?  It's like getting into an argument with your parents because they named you Ivan at birth when you prefer the name Evan.  It's just a name!

« Reply #26 on: 2009-06-17 23:09:30 »
Nope i wanted just an answer. Not facts just what you think it should be or is . And i get an argument.
« Last Edit: 2009-06-18 07:56:03 by AlexHelman »

Chrysalis

• ESUI Developer
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2009-06-18 19:56:00 »
what did you expect?

you asked a question and then disputed the answer given? result is a argument/debate.

Her name is Aerith, Aeris was a mistake.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2009-06-18 19:58:44 »
what did you expect?

you asked a question and then disputed the answer given? result is a argument/debate.

Her name is Aerith, Aeris was a mistake.

That is the point.  When a person won't accept what the writers have said or that all future installments have shown Aerith, you know there is an issue with the person and not the question.

guitar_dudester91

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2009-06-18 20:28:51 »
Future installments aren't the original idea. So saying its the developers' idea to change it, then wtf. First they said Aeris, but they thought Aerith was a better idea. that doesn't matter. The name is still Aeris. There's no issue with the person, its just the difference between opinions, and the difference between a few control freak assholes.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2009-06-18 20:48:57 »
When Vegeta was first introduced in Dragon Ball Z, his colors were all wrong, such as red hair. This was a mistake caused by the fact that Toei Animation hadn't seen any color images of Vegeta at that point (he wasn't shown in color in that issue), so they just guessed at the colors. Then, when they realized their mistake, they fixed it in all future incarnations.

Just because they originally portrayed his hair as red doesn't make it red. It makes it a MISTAKE.

FFVII is the same way. Aeris was a translation mistake caused by the fact that the localization team didn't get that her name was supposed to have all the letters of "earth" in it, so they just guessed at the spelling. Then, when they realized their mistake, they fixed it in all future incarnations.

Just because they originally spelled it Aeris doesn't make it Aeris. It makes it a MISTAKE.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2009-06-18 20:50:27 »
When Vegeta was first introduced in Dragon Ball Z, his colors were all wrong, such as red hair. This was a mistake caused by the fact that Toei Animation hadn't seen any color images of Vegeta at that point (he wasn't shown in color in that issue), so they just guessed at the colors. Then, when they realized their mistake, they fixed it in all future incarnations.

Just because they originally portrayed his hair as red doesn't make it red. It makes it a MISTAKE.

FFVII is the same way. Aeris was a translation mistake caused by the fact that the localization team didn't get that her name was supposed to have all the letters of "earth" in it, so they just guessed at the spelling. Then, when they realized their mistake, they fixed it in all future incarnations.

Just because they originally spelled it Aeris doesn't make it Aeris. It makes it a MISTAKE.

Kudos. Agreed.Thank you.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2009-06-18 21:09:47 »
its just the difference between opinions

There is NO opinion here.  Please learn the difference between FACT and OPINION.  You can't debate Aerith anymore than you can debate the shape of Earth.

Jari

« Reply #33 on: 2009-06-18 21:23:24 »

guitar_dudester91

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2009-06-19 05:25:54 »
There is NO opinion here.  Please learn the difference between FACT and OPINION.  You can't debate Aerith anymore than you can debate the shape of Earth.

Bullshit there isn't. That was the fucking point of this thread. You sir, are a nuisance to society. It's Aeris.

Bandito, you always have the funniest posts lol.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2009-06-19 10:06:37 »
Let me know when you have learned what a fact and what an opinion is.  Until then it is a waste of time talking to you.  You are like one of those religious bigots who claim their god exists as fact and when you try telling them it is just opinion they put their fingers in their ears and go insane.  Your exactly the same except it is over computer games  :lol:

8-)

Jari

« Reply #36 on: 2009-06-19 10:14:48 »

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2009-06-19 11:21:23 »
/thread ?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2009-06-19 11:26:10 »
Well I think most of us have done with this topic because plainly questions are being asked by people who have no interest in answers

:mrgreen:

« Last Edit: 2009-06-19 11:56:57 by Seifer Almasy »

Jari

« Reply #39 on: 2009-06-19 12:04:53 »
Oh, poor thing, why did you edit away your lame attempt to mock me? :-D

Tsk tsk, again editing your posts. Bad Seifer, bad! :lol:

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2009-06-19 12:13:10 »
you aren't worth it.  keep it to pm you ignorant little troll.

Jari

« Reply #41 on: 2009-06-19 12:19:56 »
you aren't worth it.  keep it to pm you ignorant little troll.

:-D

You are trying to mock me in public, and ask me to keep it to PM? :-P

Don't think so. Besides, I enjoy humiliating you in public way too much. :-D But please, do keep sending those PMs, and I'll keep posting them in public, just like I promised I would.

But right now I must go visit my father's grave. I hope you'll forgive me for being unavailable to play with you for the next hour or two?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2009-06-19 17:17:18 »
Let me know when you have learned what a fact and what an opinion is.  Until then it is a waste of time talking to you.  You are like one of those religious bigots who claim their god exists as fact and when you try telling them it is just opinion they put their fingers in their ears and go insane.  Your exactly the same except it is over computer games  :lol:

8-)
Wrong. Just because it can't be proven doesn't make it a fact, nor does it make the other side a fact. A definite statement is a fact, whether true or false. "There is a God" is a factual statement, as is "There is no God". For it to be an opinion, the correctness of the statement needs to vary based on the person saying it. For example, "Red is my favorite color" is an opinion, because its about personal preferences and taste. As for whether or not there's a God, there either is or there isn't. There isn't a God for one person and no God for another, that's simply illogical. "I prefer believing in God to not believing" is an opinion, as is "I dislike Christians/Atheists", but to state the existence of a given deity is a factual statement. You can debate the accuracy of it, claim it erroneous or correct, but it's not a matter of fact vs opinion, just correct vs incorrect.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2009-06-19 18:09:13 »
Actually you are correct in that case, because there IS an answer, even if it might be unattainable now or ever.  So maybe that was a poor choice of analogy.  But most people would consider it opinion until one knows for sure.  Everyone can have an opinion on something if the fact is not known.

However, going back to my earlier argument.  You can't debate aerith's name because the developers have said what it is supposed to be and the later games corrected it, so in this case that is a fact :)

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2009-06-19 18:14:28 »
Just because it can't be proven doesn't make it a fact, nor does it make the other side a fact. A definite statement is a fact, whether true or false. "There is a God" is a factual statement, as is "There is no God". For it to be an opinion, the correctness of the statement needs to vary based on the person saying it. For example, "Red is my favorite color" is an opinion, because its about personal preferences and taste. As for whether or not there's a God, there either is or there isn't. There isn't a God for one person and no God for another, that's simply illogical. "I prefer believing in God to not believing" is an opinion, as is "I dislike Christians/Atheists", but to state the existence of a given deity is a factual statement. You can debate the accuracy of it, claim it erroneous or correct, but it's not a matter of fact vs opinion, just correct vs incorrect.
I think you've gotten yourself confused.  For someone to say "There is a God" is actually an opinion, because there isn't any proof one way or the other.  "I believe there is a God", is a fact.  For someone to say "My favorite color is red" (and not be lying) is a fact, because that person's favorite color is red.  If they were to say "The best color is red", that would be an opinion since other people would disagree

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2009-06-19 18:16:23 »
Just because it can't be proven doesn't make it a fact, nor does it make the other side a fact. A definite statement is a fact, whether true or false. "There is a God" is a factual statement, as is "There is no God". For it to be an opinion, the correctness of the statement needs to vary based on the person saying it. For example, "Red is my favorite color" is an opinion, because its about personal preferences and taste. As for whether or not there's a God, there either is or there isn't. There isn't a God for one person and no God for another, that's simply illogical. "I prefer believing in God to not believing" is an opinion, as is "I dislike Christians/Atheists", but to state the existence of a given deity is a factual statement. You can debate the accuracy of it, claim it erroneous or correct, but it's not a matter of fact vs opinion, just correct vs incorrect.
I think you've gotten yourself confused.  For someone to say "There is a God" is actually an opinion, because there isn't any proof one way or the other.  "I believe there is a God", is a fact.  For someone to say "My favorite color is red" (and not be lying) is a fact, because that person's favorite color is red.  If they were to say "The best color is red", that would be an opinion since other people would disagree

I can see what he means by it being a fact simply because it isn't known and that there is a definate answer, but I agree with you

"red is the best colour"  opinion

"My favourite colour is red" fact

"There is a God"  Opinion but one which does have a definate answer

"I believe in God"  Fact

« Last Edit: 2009-06-19 18:19:39 by Seifer Almasy »

guitar_dudester91

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2009-06-19 19:06:51 »
The only way the developers could have corrected the game is to recall ever singly copy of the original game and reprogram her name into it as Aerith. The original ideas, storyboards, plotline, etc., all decided as Aeris for a name. So in complete originality, Aeris is the name. Just because someone changed their mind doesn't mean its right.

You should learn the difference between fact and opinion. Until then it is a waste of time talking to you. My god does exist, but don't bring that into a thread that isn't even close to dealing with that. It isn't and opinion. Oh oh oh, here's my favorite line by you Seifer, you annoying little girly boy. " End of."

El Ammo, you are my new hero. Would you please post those Pm's, if it isn't too much trouble? I think it would be great to see them, and see Seifer in a public struggle  :-D  :-D  :-D

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2009-06-19 19:34:42 »
The only way the developers could have corrected the game is to recall ever singly copy of the original game and reprogram her name into it as Aerith.
 So in complete originality, Aeris is the name. Just because someone changed their mind doesn't mean its right.

Do you realise how illogical and inaccurate that sounds?  How would you propose they recalled millions of copies on the shelves at the time and said "Right it was a translation error....so for this 1 name we will have to bin the lot"

get real.  Nobody changed their mind.  It was translation error.  And it isn't "someone"  It is the writers of the game.  They created her.
« Last Edit: 2009-06-19 19:38:35 by Seifer Almasy »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2009-06-19 19:46:15 »
I was going to make a tl;dr post about the meaning of the word opinion in this context (because it's meaning does differ slightly depending on context) and which of the examples that were given were facts and which were opinions, but instead I'm going to post a link to a picture that shows my reaction after reading that last couple of posts.

Yes, yes, I know that a similar pic was posted in another thread recently, but I can't think of anything that better sums up my feelings.

Alhexx

• View Profile
    • http://www.alhexx.com
« Reply #49 on: 2009-06-19 19:54:51 »
Bullsh*t there isn't. That was the f***ing point of this thread. You sir, are a nuisance to society.
Cut it.

I know her name i just want to see who all know it.
Both Aerith and Aeris are valid answers as the character on the picture appeared using both names. It doesn't matter which name she had originally or that she was called Aerith in all games except for FF7. And no, it's not an opinion what her name is.

"There is a God"  Opinion but one which does have a definate answer
Actually, that's not an opinion but a claim. If the claim could be proven right, then it would become a fact. If it could be proven wrong, then it would become a lie.
The problem is that in this case it can neither be proven right nor proven wrong (at least as long as you live), so it remains to be a claim.

- Alhexx