Author Topic: The most epic Summoning in FF ever! (FFXV Ramuh)  (Read 15597 times)

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
The most epic Summoning in FF ever! (FFXV Ramuh)
« on: 2015-03-17 20:02:08 »
« Last Edit: 2021-10-28 16:24:32 by dkma841 »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Have to say...that was pretty awesome.

L. Spiro

• View Profile
    • http://www.memoryhacking.com/index.php
Thank you.

L. Spiro

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Did you have a hand in that, Spiro? What other awesome stuff are you doing?

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 2021-10-28 16:24:12 by dkma841 »

L. Spiro

• View Profile
Did you have a hand in that, Spiro?
Not at all.  My “thank you” was more as a representative of the company as a whole.

What other awesome stuff are you doing?
Graphics, mainly on optimizations.
Shadows suffered the most for this demo, as they are the most costly feature.

Very nicely done L.Spiro :)
Again, I am just thanking you on behalf of Square Enix.

I know the people who are working on these animations and effects, etc., and I know they would be glad to hear it.

L. Spiro
« Last Edit: 2015-06-16 16:15:10 by L. Spiro »

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
My faith in the mainline FF franchise: restored. I freaking looove the demo and am really excited for E3

A few questions: what can I do with the enchanted frogs?

Was titan left in the demo on purpose and should we expect to find other hidden stuff in the demo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEMp4QCZ32o

Would working on Q-Gears be a conflict of interest?
« Last Edit: 2015-03-19 16:49:33 by KnifeTheSky77 »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Shadows suffered the most for this demo, as they are the most costly feature...
Ick. Nothing personal, but I hate shadows in my games for this reason. I usually turn them off or at lowest possible detail.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
My faith in the mainline FF franchise: restored.

I had this feeling when they had shown the first moving pictures (when they had changed the project to FFXIV). It looks like Dragons Dogma meets Final Fantasy. But I still don't like the design of the main characters. But the rest is really amazing.

L. Spiro

• View Profile
Ick. Nothing personal, but I hate shadows in my games for this reason. I usually turn them off or at lowest possible detail.
It’s my job to deliver both quality and speed.  I am working on a major overhaul right now that should be able to meet such a demand.
As has been announced, we have no plans to target faster than 30 FPS, so disabling features will never give you better than that anyway.  As such, we will be filling that extra per-frame budget with quality.  And as I said we have a large list.  So there won’t be any performance issues in the final game, for either platform.

L. Spiro

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK3HNm6wH0c

Always wanted Summoning to be like this, DAMN they did a great job :D
What do you think?

I am not impressed in the slightest by that or by what I have seen so far of the gameplay. It's more of what we've seen previously - graphics awesome, gameplay mechanics lousy and convoluted.  99999 HP  and all these numbers flying on screen all over the place; enemies here there and everywhere running about leaving no time for strategy. It's all designed to be eye-candy and to look "epic".  The person who is reviewing that video has totally fallen for it, as usual..  OMGZ! EPIC! WOW!

I don't judge games on graphics or how good a cutscene looks, and when I see 99999HP and numbers flashing about the screen faster than your brain can process the information, I think the following:

1. Lazy
2. Tired
3. Convoluted
4. Brainless
5. Verbose

The thing that springs to mind (and has, for me, since FF 12) is using graphics and flashy high damage numbers to hide the fact that there is little in the way of an intelligent, thought provoking battle system.  And I'll wager the story sucks too.

So for me... it's more of the same nonsense we've all come to expect.  When the reviews roll in I expect to see a huge number of people complaining that it was all flash and no substance.... yet again.

I don't play a game to watch an awesome summon that will soon get annoying to have to keep watching.  I play a game to use my brain and enjoy a good story (where applicable).
« Last Edit: 2015-03-21 14:13:50 by DLPB »

KnifeTheSky77

• View Profile
If you are implying that xv is a button masher based on what the trailer looks like, you are very wrong. There is a lot of planning and tactical thinking required to play through effectively.

I thought itwas a great game from what I've played of it, it absolutely didn't feel like god of war or something like that

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
If you are implying that xv is a button masher based on what the trailer looks like, you are very wrong. There is a lot of planning and tactical thinking required to play through effectively.

I thought itwas a great game from what I've played of it, it absolutely didn't feel like god of war or something like that

If it's anything like FF12 was in regards to "tactics" then I'll be disagreeing.  I also don't think you can truly have a proper tactic or strategy based RPG with numbers and spells whizzing about at the speed of lightning. From that video alone I can see there is way too much going on to really appreciate what you are doing in-game.
« Last Edit: 2015-03-21 16:55:55 by DLPB »

KnifeTheSky77

• View Profile
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you give it a go. I'm really glad it isn't like xiii, those personalities were intolerable

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
Re: The most epic Summoning in FF ever! (FFXV Ramuh)
« Reply #14 on: 2015-03-22 00:56:34 »
... those personalities were intolerable

Oh gosh! Indeed! I liked XIII-2 though mostly for the time travel based scenario. :)

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2015-03-22 01:26:45 »
« Last Edit: 2021-10-28 16:23:36 by dkma841 »

StickySock

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2015-03-22 08:33:38 »
Considering that this combat tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr2t2Si60Ak) covers so many different mechanics without even mentioning the weapon abilities like dragoon jump or the summons, and with all of this being in a demo that was made before the game had even reached 55% completion (meaning that there are probably going to be 10x more options and complexity in the final game with more weapons, combos, and abilities), and other options that are confirmed to be in the full game (such as magic) and things they are working on (like manual weapon switching), and the combat seems very meaty to me.

This game also seems to have a sense of humor I'm digging, such as in the following videos:

Crazy chocobo lady - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ62k49PRiQ

Gladiolus comment - "Gladiolus: Stop b*tching, start killing." @26:23: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYTVxsQG_tc&t=26m16s

@Dan: You may be right about it being brainless and having way more flash over substance, but I don't think the summoning video alone is enough to confirm that. Big numbers might be a sign of lazy programming, but that remains to be seen. However, Square Enix has done nothing in the last ten years to warrant the benefit of the doubt, so I see no problem with you being skeptical.

I have been up and down on this game myself in cycles, sometimes things make me lose interest (lack of character switching confirmed, possible lack of airships), and others keep me coming back to find out more (possible gambit system, phantom swords, summon, combo customization, etc.). Right now I am just at the point I hope it is good because I want a good FF game for once since the PS2, but if it really does suck I hope the game tanks hard just for making me wait so long for more crap.
« Last Edit: 2015-03-22 09:30:01 by StickySock »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2015-03-22 14:24:14 »
If I had a PS to play it on, I'd be waiting a while before I bought it.  I'd definitely look at the first 3 hours of a walk through and check out the reviews.  But I guess since I don't, I'll be waiting a very long time to play it.  But yeah, you're right... I'm skeptical not just because of what I see, but by everything that's happened after FFX. I don't generally see great graphics as a plus either today because it tells me that's where most of the time has been spent.
« Last Edit: 2015-03-22 15:17:45 by DLPB »

StickySock

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2015-03-22 19:12:08 »
If I had a PS to play it on, I'd be waiting a while before I bought it.  I'd definitely look at the first 3 hours of a walk through and check out the reviews.  But I guess since I don't, I'll be waiting a very long time to play it.  But yeah, you're right... I'm skeptical not just because of what I see, but by everything that's happened after FFX. I don't generally see great graphics as a plus either today because it tells me that's where most of the time has been spent.
What kind of nonsense is that!?!?!? As a modern gamer I think we should continue to preorder games before we know if they're good, then become collectively disappointed when we play them. That way Square Enix can get mixed messages about whether or not we liked the game (high sales/low fan reception) and they can pump out sequels that nobody asked for.

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #19 on: 2015-03-22 23:13:56 »
This will be the best modern FF ever! And the reason I will buy a ps4! Mark my words folks!

StickySock

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2015-03-23 04:20:18 »
This will be the best modern FF ever! And the reason I will buy a ps4! Mark my words folks!
What games are considered "modern"? If by modern you mean last gen through current gen definitely, if ps2 era is included then possibly, but if that includes ps1 era probably not. If it turns out to be good though it may finally force me to buy a ps4 too and get Dragon Age Inquisition and The Witcher 3 along with it.

Edit: And Bloodbourne!

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #21 on: 2015-03-23 13:43:15 »
As a modern FF I consider anything since the ps3 releases and maybe since FFXI online if we think FFXI and XII as kind of experimental releases. I've read rumors that a new FF is programmed to be a mixture of the FF games and Bloodbourne.
« Last Edit: 2015-03-23 13:45:23 by LeonhartGR »

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2015-03-23 23:12:55 »
« Last Edit: 2021-10-28 16:23:28 by dkma841 »

L. Spiro

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2015-03-26 10:28:35 »
when I see 99999HP and numbers flashing about the screen faster than your brain can process the information, I think the following:

1. Lazy
2. Tired
3. Convoluted
4. Brainless
5. Verbose

The thing that springs to mind (and has, for me, since FF 12) is using graphics and flashy high damage numbers to hide the fact that there is little in the way of an intelligent, thought provoking battle system.  And I'll wager the story sucks too.

So for me... it's more of the same nonsense we've all come to expect.  When the reviews roll in I expect to see a huge number of people complaining that it was all flash and no substance.... yet again.

I don't play a game to watch an awesome summon that will soon get annoying to have to keep watching.  I play a game to use my brain and enjoy a good story (where applicable).
Sorry you feel that way.

L. Spiro
« Last Edit: 2015-06-05 14:01:19 by L. Spiro »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2015-03-26 12:36:31 »
My criticisms are levelled at the combat. I am fairly sure that the final game will run along those lines... a real time action with a ton of spells and numbers flying about the place (that has been the norm since FF12).  And someone else mentioned that gambits are making a return?

With the little to go on I can't make absolute statements of fact, I can only say I have a good idea where it's heading.  But when the game's out, I'll watch some walkthroughs and render a better judgement.  Nothing would make me happier than being wrong.
« Last Edit: 2015-03-26 12:38:12 by DLPB »