Author Topic: Square Enix Current Gen Lineup  (Read 3606 times)

StickySock

• View Profile
Square Enix Current Gen Lineup
« on: 2015-08-09 16:33:44 »
Excluding western games such as Hitman, Sleeping Dogs (western?), and Tomb Raider, Square Enix's lineup for the PS4/XBOX One generation already seems much more robust than the entirety of the PS3/Xbox 360 gen. Already announced games include: FFXV, FF7R, KH3, DQ11, SO5, PS4 Dissidia, World of Final Fantasy, and a new Nier project.

FFXV has its controversies but I still doubt it will have a worse reception than the XIII trilogy.

FF7R will definitely have its controversies, but probably an equally large number of fans, similar to how AC was poorly received by many yet still has legions of fans.

KH3 is the final entry in a saga fans have been clamoring for during years and years of spin off titles.

DQ11 looks to be incredible and a saving grace for those that feel betrayed by Square Enix's abandonment of turn-based RPGs for consoles.

Star Ocean 5 looks to be another quality entry in the franchise. I've only really had experience with 4, and it wasn't really my cup of tea, although I did enjoy aspects of it.

PS4 Dissidia has been requested for a long time, as people wanted their favorite FF characters to clash on a bigger screen than what the PSP could offer.

World of Final Fantasy, seems like it could be fun, but it's definitely milking nostalgia in order to get people to buy the game. It has a cute factor that will probably attract a lot of fans to it who are into that sort of thing.

And finally, the new Nier project had details that made me very excited about the game. I personally felt that Nier was a very fun game with a lot of good ideas. The writing in particular had a certain charm and flavor I seek more of (I bought Drakengard 3 in hopes to satiate my appetite, but I haven't tried it yet. Most reviews say the writing is certainly not on par with Nier). The only problems Nier had, in my opinion, was its combat and budget. Square Enix making the statement that new IPs need 3 entries to truly gauge their appeal gives me hope that Nier will have a larger budget, and it was annouced that Platinum games was developing it, which should make the combat amazing if Bayonetta and MGR are any indication.

In addition to those games, it seems as though Square Enix is planning on a FF12 HD remaster in addition to the FF10 and Type 0 remasters already released.

I personally feel Square Enix has been a lot more competent this generation as opposed to last, and seems like it has set itself up in a position to succeed. I know a lot of us prefer SquareSoft to Square Enix and rightly so, but compared to early Square Enix, does anyone else feel like things are changing over at Square Enix, and somewhat for the better?

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2015-08-09 23:23:59 »
« Last Edit: 2021-10-28 16:15:31 by dkma841 »

L. Spiro

• View Profile
    • http://www.memoryhacking.com/index.php
Re: Square Enix Current Gen Lineup
« Reply #2 on: 2015-08-10 03:06:42 »
Star Ocean 5 is not a Square Enix game, we only have exclusive publishing rights.
It was the last project on which I worked at tri-Ace.

L. Spiro
« Last Edit: 2015-08-10 03:31:06 by L. Spiro »

StickySock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2015-08-13 06:30:11 »
Don't forget Project Setsuna, Dragon Quest Builders (a Minecraft game I actually want to play!), Dragon Quest Heroes & Dragon Quest Heroes 2
Square is on a roll this gen going all out just like the PS2 days :)

The one that caught me off guard the most was NieR 2, the first sold quite badly and hardly any attention towards it but now they are teaming up with alot of devs including Platinum games for this, can't wait :D and Star Ocean 5 looks really good 6 player simulataneous battle looks insane!... Also really glad Dragon Quest is coming to ps4
How could I forget the Dragon Quest spinoffs! They look great! I played Hyrule Warriors recently and am convinced that the Warrior games are much better with characters and universe that are already established and beloved. Dragon Quest builders has also got my attention I have to say, and will be championing it to my friends and family who are addicted to minecraft if the game actually turns out to be good.

Thanks for introducing me to project Setsuna, it had slipped my radar for some reason.

@L. Spiro: I was aware it was developed by tri-Ace, which is why I was surprised it was being made at all. I thought I read they were bought by a mobile gaming company or something. Regardless, I see publishing games as important of business decisions as developing them internally. The fact the Square Enix is publishing the game is a win in my book ('tis the reason I give some credit to Nintendo for Bayonetta 2, some credit to Sony for Bloodborne [I think Sony Japan actually had deep involvement in development as well], some credit to Microsoft [who I believe I read also gave help in development] for Scalebound).

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #4 on: 2015-08-13 12:48:01 »
Star Ocean 5 is not a Square Enix game, we only have exclusive publishing rights.
It was the last project on which I worked at tri-Ace.

L. Spiro
You were at tri-Ace too? Wow. You got around. Still looking forward to it even if I never get back to SO3 or 4.