Author Topic: FF Wiki - Too much nonsense  (Read 3833 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
FF Wiki - Too much nonsense
« on: 2018-10-08 00:42:45 »
Too much nonsense in the FF Wiki.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Midgar_Zolom_save_glitch

This one blew my mind.

1. It's not deliberate that you can save here to exploit the Midgardsormr.  It's an oversight by the developers. An easy fix I have implemented is to stop you opening the menu on the marsh.

2. If you were to save near the Midgardsormr's spawn position, it would still be "unwinnable".

3. The reason the Midgardsormr's position is not saved is because it respawns. It was of no consequence to the programmers that its position be saved. The memory needed to save its position is the same as it would be for ANY object on the world map - a number of bytes. It would not "bloat" sod all. The programmers would not have had to save all parts of it.

Honestly, I wish people would stick to the facts.

Also, as usual, a lot of the fixes and information in the Wiki has been taken from Qhimms without any credit whatsoever, which really pisses me off.

JBedford128

• View Profile
Re: FF Wiki - Too much nonsense
« Reply #1 on: 2018-10-08 01:24:39 »
Then fix it? The bit you're complaining about was written by someone with literally four edits to their name (and that was their first). The wiki receives lots of traffic, but only has like one or two people who check every edit made and they are not experts in everything.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2018-10-08 01:29:57 »
I'll consider helping out when the people there start giving credit for the numerous things the find here.  Also, I don't have a login there - or I would have this time.

JBedford128

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2018-10-08 03:13:20 »
You can edit the wiki without an account if you don't mind revealing your IP.

I just checked the game and the Midgar Zolom has two spawns points, and always seems to spawn on the opposite side of the marsh. I didn't save/load the game each time, but I can't imagine it decides its spawn position differently to the way it does after its killed. So you can't get spawn trapped.

It wouldn't be as easy as saving the single point position of the Midgar Zolom if they wanted the game to load the game exactly as the Midgar Zolom appeared when it was saved. If they did ever consider it I could see the length and complexity being a reason to not even bother.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #4 on: 2018-10-08 03:47:10 »
I've edited wikis on several occasions and very rarely has anyone overwritten the changes I remember making. "Credit" is no one undoing your change. The whole point is that contributions can be anonymous. You could leave a reference to a post here if you want to leave "proof", but it's hard to prove intent of developers.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2018-10-08 12:46:40 »
I understand the anon nature of it - but Wikipedia leaves citations. I just don't like a lot of research and knowledge being accumulated without any acknowledgement of where it came from.

I've had my rant.

On the Midgardsormr, it would have been easy for them to program it in for the position to be saved.  They wouldn't have to save all segments of it to do this or even the original shape.  It's a design oversight - the menu simply shouldn't be allowed to open there, which fixes all the problems.

If it does spawn always away from character, then point taken on that but wiki is unclear. That's rather lazy of the developers. It may be that the ability to block the menu from opening on various terrain was added at a later time (this is how the Wutai bridges stop you opening the menu) and no-one thought to add the marsh.

Funny, really, because there's no reason I can see for battles or menu being stopped on those bridges - i tested a lot and could not break the game.  Perhaps there is a way to break it with saving, but I haven't managed it.  The battles not being allowed there may be a total oversight; the correct formations do work there. 
« Last Edit: 2018-10-08 12:50:37 by DLPB »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #6 on: 2018-10-08 15:25:18 »
The bridges sway while you're on them. It might be possible through save-reloads to glitch off of them. Then either the game doesn't adjust your z-coord (which could lead to lots of sequence breaking/soft-locking) or it would put you down on the lowest terrain which might soft-lock you in some cases (which means it's bad practice).

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2018-10-08 15:29:04 »
That's what I always thought, but I've swayed and tested an awful lot and I cannot break it (the sway is really slight and code exists to make the character re-position).  So if it does break, it's got to be very rare.  I'll do some more testing soon.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #8 on: 2018-10-08 16:43:52 »
Most likely it was a function that was disabled during testing because either the sway was larger or the implementation was bad. That function was fixed but the save feature was never reenabled.