Author Topic: Completely Unrelated  (Read 15800 times)

Shankifer

• Jack of all trades - Master of none!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Completely Unrelated
« Reply #25 on: 2010-08-05 21:34:50 »
In truth. I'm sure it sucks donkeyballs to mod the completely unrelated thread. Since there is no "off-topic". But you still are required to make sure none of the general rules are being broken.

I don't know exactly how the forums are modded but I would reccomend maybe moving to a "report only" moderation of the CU forum.

People will always shoot there shit.

Another option IS to eliminate the thread : Let them shoot their shit elsewhere

A third option is possibly to add some strict rules in completely unrelated, such as limiting people's ability to CREATE posts so many times in a week. That would prevent Mirenhearts games and surveys ;P (nothing personal, just noting how he dominated the CU for a while :P) in other words : Make rules for the b*llsh*t :P

Just some thoughts.

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2010-08-05 21:55:52 »
I don't think it's even that important to moderate Completely Unrelated.  The only real problem with it is that it gives people who don't contribute anything to the community a way to up their post counts.  I think it makes sense that mods should have the ability to moderate Completely Unrelated so as to deal with "destructive" posts and spambots, but if posts in Completely Unrelated come not to affect post counts, then no more should need to be done.

In any case, I don't wholly agree with the "this forum is becoming just like every other Final Fantasy forum" argument.  Completely Unrelated can hardly be considered to be a part of the forum.  As long as the other boards maintain their quality, it will be fine as far as I'm concerned.  (Who knows?  Maybe, if Completely Unrelated became a no-count board, people would start putting their Completely Unrelated threads in General Discussion specially to keep their post counts going.  In that case, it'll be obvious that they're in it for the post count.)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2010-08-05 21:57:44 »
Qhimm once "considered closing" Completely Unrelated altogether, although in the end, no (drastic) action was taken on the grounds that people enjoyed having Completely Unrelated there, even if it served no other purpose.  At least, that's how I interpret that situation, which isn't too dissimilar to what we have here.

I think that having an off-topic board is good for the community. Even if it doesn't contribute directly to the goals of the forums, it contributes indirectly by keeping people interested in coming here.

Just out of interest, how easy would it be to make Completely Unrelated a "no-count" board?  Although that would more than half my unworthy post count, I actually think that's a pretty good idea.  If the post count measures how much a member contributes to the forum, and Completely Unrelated is off the point of the forum, then posts in it would best be uncounted.

Post counts are simply a measure of how much people post. It's dangerous to start thinking that "higher post count = better member". People can still have high post counts on the on-topic boards and not really contribute anything and people can have very low post counts and be vital. In fact, I'm starting to believe that the arguments in favour of making this a no count board are actually better as arguments against that. We should avoid anything that makes people think that high posts counts mark some users as better than others.

A third option is possibly to add some strict rules in completely unrelated, such as limiting people's ability to CREATE posts so many times in a week. That would prevent Mirenhearts games and surveys ;P

That might be the best idea, if it can be done. However, I'd rather have a daily limit; I would want someone to use up all their threads on Monday, realise they have something important to bring up, and have to wait a week before posting it.

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2010-08-05 22:09:26 »
We should avoid anything that makes people think that high posts counts mark some users as better than others.

Problem: That's virtually inevitable.  There's a natural subconscious bias against members with low post counts because they appear to be newer members, who stereotypically don't know what they are doing.  Members with high post counts, however, appear as if they've been around for a while, so they're presumed experts at everything; they know exactly what they're doing at all times.

Maybe not everyone, but most members who've worked their way into the community here are predisposed to respect members more or less based on their post counts.  At least, that is the trend I've observed.  Am I imagining it?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2010-08-05 22:16:14 »
We should avoid anything that makes people think that high posts counts mark some users as better than others.

Problem: That's virtually inevitable.  There's a natural subconscious bias against members with low post counts because they appear to be newer members, who stereotypically don't know what they are doing.  Members with high post counts, however, appear as if they've been around for a while, so they're presumed experts at everything; they know exactly what they're doing at all times.

And we shouldn't do anything to encourage that; we'd be fanning the flames by saying that some posts are worth counting and some aren't.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2010-08-06 02:41:36 »
Wow, this is getting to be quite the hot topic.

I would like to clarify one thing just for my own sake.  I could not care less about how people feel I am performing my "mod duties".  As moderators it is up to us to make decisions based on what we feel is best to keep the forum in tip top shape.   If it could be HIGHLY controversial, we talk amongst ourselves before deciding.. the GP really has no say, sorry.  A nice recent example was Halkun's decision to ban discussion of ripping models.  Almost no one agreed with it, but it didn't matter.

The post count really doesn't matter either.  Once a member has been here a month or so, it's very easy to catch on to who the ...errr "important" members are, and who just posts in every thread they can.   Honestly the post count is just as important as having signatures is.

Anywho, SL is the bad guy! Get him!

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile

Chocobo_Girl

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2010-08-06 05:44:04 »
Jes leave completely unrelated alone. :P It's fine the way it is. If there are threads you're not interested in, just don't post in them, don't even read them. I know I'm not gonna be posting in any new Elimination games anymore (if there are any) cuz they're pretty boring to me, so just do the same if you feel that way.

This has already been said before but I would just like to reinforce it:
It's silly to think that a high post count means a good qhimm member. All it really means is that they post a lot, or have been here for a while. Besides, if you check stats in people's profiles you can see where most of their posts go. And anyone who's been here for a while knows who the "contributing" members are anyway so it's not like anyone's getting fooled.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #33 on: 2010-08-06 06:57:23 »
My two cents
I'm happy there's activity. There were a few years where nothing was going on here...

...and there was a time that (*shudder*) there was no one with mod access in here.

Now everything's hunky-dory, as long as nothing spills out of Unrelated. Talk about whatever. I'm happy with the social interaction that goes on. If it helps build the community, I'm pleased.
« Last Edit: 2010-08-06 07:07:15 by halkun »