Author Topic: FF7 and Unity  (Read 5491 times)

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
FF7 and Unity
« on: 2011-04-26 22:08:00 »
A few months ago I began messing around with unity. One day I decided to import some of FF7's assets into unity,and while getting everything in and put together correctly took a moment, I finally got the cloud model in. I had him on a blank plane,and programmed some simple movement commands.

Now I know nothing about the animations or how they function or even where they are located, so Cloud winds up gliding everywhere in the most rigid of fashions.

Now I know this isnt much but I was pleased with what I had accomplished.

I amon my ps3 right now but when my PC  is back up ill be able to post more info.

What I want to know is will anyone be interested in participating in this with me. It would be beyond heavenly to get the entire amount of provided ff7 data running inside of unity, but right now I want tosee if its plausable to get t a working demo up to the Gaurd Scorpion fight...

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Re: FF7 and Unity
« Reply #1 on: 2011-04-26 23:24:42 »
Is this a project? What exactly is unity?

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 2011-04-26 23:45:53 »
It's a 3D engine, I believe.

I suppose this is technically a project, but not really one that's started as it should be.

You should produce a proper project plan, with delineated goals, estimated resources required and personnel required. Otherwise, this will likely turn into another abortive 'wouldn't it be interesting if someone somewhere tried...' threads.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-04-27 00:01:00 »
Not another project shooting for the moon, please.   Best of luck and whatnot.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-04-28 00:13:29 »
Ok Im now back on my PC.

The reason I created this thread is that I had a great time trying to work with some of FF7's assets in unity, and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing the same thing.

Me being new to Unity(although very easy to learn), and not having a deep understanding of how some of the things in FF7 work are greatly affecting what I can do.

Right now what I would like to know is where the animation data is located for clouds field model. It would seem a prudent second step to make cloud look as if he is walking instead of gliding.

As stated before all I have done now is gotten cloud assembled in unity, written some control commands, and placed him on a flat empty plane. As of right now he can only glide, as I have no Idea where I can find the animation data or how to implement it.

If things go well with this, can't you imagine the possibilities of what could be done. It would open up whole new doors for us.
But before anyone starts thinking of what could be done, I need to focus on what needs to be done, and thats animate cloud.

The thread is placed here because Id like to make it into a project, but the range and scope of the possible project cannot be determined at this moment because I am very limited alone. If other people are interested then a more precise framework can be put into place, but until then Im stuck researching animations lol.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-04-28 01:54:11 »
ironically... model animations can largely be left til later... get core mechanics working - like scene changes, making sure you cant fall off the walkmesh, random battles, dialogue etc.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-04-29 02:10:30 »
Well what do you guys think would be a good place to start? Setting up the first walkable area I suppose?

Adhira

« Reply #7 on: 2011-04-29 13:00:14 »
I'll give a brief introduction to Unity for those who don't know about it:

Unity is a full 3d game engine developed to create a stable and cutting edge platform for game development. It's core features are the stunningly low costs (FREE for base version and 1500$ for pro), lack of engine royalties you can see in other platforms such as Unreal SDK, a massive and helpful community, an inbuilt community game resource shop and best of all, an incredibly fast and reliable resource handling and workflow system.

It's very easy to learn and has three inbuilt forms of cross-platform .NET-like scripting (MONO: JS, C# and a proprietary language).

This is why this "project" could be so great. Because batch-importing FF7 resources in Unity seems fairly easy and doing that would basically port FF7 on a top-of-the-line 3d engine, erasing all and any troubles related to dealing with outdated code, low res limitations or uncertain and buggy indie development tools.

Now, correct me if i am wrong, but one of the best merits of Meteor is giving people a chance to script their own scenes, is it not? I never used it, but from what i am told it uses the original FF7 scripting, which handles most of the core workings of the game.

OP, don't underestimate the difficulty of reproducing every single scene by using a different type of scripting. At the same time implementing FF7's scripting in Unity could be exceedingly long and/or difficult.

I was actually considering doing what you are proposing with FF8, as it would basically create a new engine for the game, making ANY sort of modification technically straightforward to accomplish. Nothing less than a revolution for these forums. The problem is indeed scripting and file types that aren't decoded or convertible into mainstream formats.
If someone is willing to give it a look and try getting the scripting to work with Unity, then we are probably looking at something promising here.

« Last Edit: 2011-04-29 23:01:16 by Adhira »

diceyboi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-04-29 22:34:25 »
i see unity mostly on a mmo browser game... like ffiv legacy for byond... you should make this mmo on browsers... i know it sounds stupid... but a ff7 world in a mmo state? it would be decent since the ffiv mmo game got pretty huge...