Author Topic: Gamermann - Let's Play  (Read 3379 times)

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
Gamermann - Let's Play
« on: 2012-02-09 04:30:58 »
What's up guys. Ive started doing LP's recently, and I have one up on youtube. I would greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions you could leave me, I want to be very succesful with my LP'S and I would like any criticism so that I may improve.

I shall have a title screen one day, but Im not that good at making NEW video assets. If anyone cares enough to make me a short intro piece that say Gamermann - Let's Play, or something similar, I would gladly accept it lol.

Anyway, here is my first LP, I did not practice the game or the narration, its all a first draft. Let me know what I should change.

Title : Gamermann - Let's Play Mike Tyson's Punch-out!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc8MQ73EBb4

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Re: Gamermann - Let's Play
« Reply #1 on: 2012-02-09 17:56:12 »
Commentary feels a little dry. Maybe explain the mechanics a little more or make random comments about things. But I just finished watching Nintendocaprisun's Galaxy 2 LP. That's hard to come off from. Keep it up though. All LPers start off a little dry.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-02-09 21:16:01 »
Thanks I really needed that, the finale of that LP isnt done because Ive been practicing the fights to be uber good, practicing commentary, as well as other things. I surely felt the commentary was really dry, so thanks for confirming that for me.

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-02-10 01:10:13 »
007 363 5963

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-02-10 03:45:37 »
Don't you mean 007 373 5963?

Anyways, dont worry, Tyson is going down in the next video.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012-02-10 06:57:33 »
Tips:
  • Use the correct aspect ratio. This game wasn't in widescreen, and everything simply looks squished.
  • Avoid emulator filters. You're playing a game that a lot of people have a lot of fond memories of, and most of them will recognize that something isn't quite right.
  • Don't apologize for your commentary, it draws attention to its shortcomings.
  • I strongly recommend preparing an outline, and doing a practice run. It can really help with the pacing of the LP.
  • Don't have enough to say about what's currently happening? Go off on tangents. It's okay if your dialogue gets way sidetracked. Trivia, in-depth discussion of the game mechanics, glitches, or even something unrelated to the game entirely. Just keep talking.
  • Some of the very best LPers (Cybershell, for example) put a lot of effort into postproduction. You don't have to go crazy with the special effects like he does, but it can often be good to re-record, add, and replace portions of your commentary. I'm fairly certain Cybershell records ALL of his commentary after the fact, but even just embellishing and polishing can go a long way. It should feel like it's recorded live, but it doesn't actually have to be.

That being said, you seem to have done a good job with the technical aspects. You didn't use a camcorder or Unregistered Hypercam 2, you didn't suck at the game, and your voice was clear. Keep at it, I'm sure you'll get better with time.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-02-10 08:09:19 »
I really enjoy all the criticism, it is exactly what I was looking for, I shall spend a bit more time on second part(partly because I suck at Tyson) and I will definitely take all your points into consideration when making the next vid. I sort of enjoyed the widescreen and HQ4X, but I may just go with HQ2x and no widescreen( I wondered if it would look appropriate.)

Ill post when I get the next video up. Maybe a few days.