Author Topic: FF7 PSFs in FF7 Pc?  (Read 23559 times)

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
FF7 PSFs in FF7 Pc?
« Reply #25 on: 2003-03-14 00:10:09 »
Maybe you should ask Fice to do the same kind of thing he did for FF7... heh.

Goku7

• View Profile
FF7 PSFs in FF7 Pc?
« Reply #26 on: 2003-03-14 00:19:52 »
I dunno.....it might be a good idea to give him time to work out any possible interface bugs between FF7Music and the PSF plugin first, then apply his experience on FF8, but seeing as though he mentioned in that other thread about having some 15,000 word report to do, I don't think now would be a good time to ask, lol.

Another thing would have to be filesize.  At this point, to use the FF8 PSF files on FF8, you'd be required to download roughly 28mb of data, and then use whatever PSF interface that would be thought up to do it; while in the meantime you can get roughly the same amount of quality with Samuel's DLS, which is also a 28MB file (due to the compression), and already works with the existing music playback system....

Essentially, I'm saying that using FF8 PSF files for BGM playback would be a lot more reasonable an idea if/when they manage to convert it to .miniPSF format, since that may decrease the file size by some degree.

Aaron

• View Profile
FF7 PSFs in FF7 Pc?
« Reply #27 on: 2003-03-14 02:39:35 »
Well, the little package I put together to use the FF7 PSFs in FF7 PC is now available at FFSF.

Nori

• View Profile
Testing
« Reply #28 on: 2003-03-14 04:31:33 »
I got no sound on 102 Bombing Mission (during the game)
103 Makou Reactor (works fine...)

Btw well done!!!

Aaron

• View Profile
FF7 PSFs in FF7 Pc?
« Reply #29 on: 2003-03-14 04:46:10 »
Hmm, Rubicant, does your 102 Bombing Mission work (after intro movie)?

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
FF7 PSFs in FF7 Pc?
« Reply #30 on: 2003-03-14 08:29:19 »
Just as an aside; writing this sort of layer for FF8 would be really, really easy, because it works in a different way to FF7. And it's already been 95% done ;)  The most-recent-ever version of the FF8 Configurator had 'dynamic patching' support for SF2's in it, which meant it only loaded whatever instruments were actually required for the songs being played (so you could use a 200MB soundfont with only 64MB of RAM, eg.) Now, to do that, the configurator needed to intercept all the messages about which song was being played... ;)

Final story, it wouldn't take very long at all to do that to FF8, but it wouldn't be related at all to the FF7 music, which works in a completely different, and harder-to-hack, way.

Nori

• View Profile
Testing...
« Reply #31 on: 2003-03-14 13:20:48 »
No sound on 416 A One-Winged Angel.minipsf (XP - SP1)
Going to test on 98SE, ME & Win2000 (SP3)

KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
FF7 PSFs in FF7 Pc?
« Reply #32 on: 2003-03-14 19:45:48 »
Hi, popping back in, I still say enhanced MIDI for FF7 is the way to go. The PSF's sound terrible, and a testament to how much the PSX sucked for music until they figured out how to do it like an SNES.

Aaron

• View Profile
FF7 PSFs in FF7 Pc?
« Reply #33 on: 2003-03-14 20:37:19 »
Well, I'm about to put some FF7 soundfonts up on FFSF (with the permission of the authors), so if you want to contribute anything...

Rubicant

• View Profile
Re: Testing...
« Reply #34 on: 2003-03-15 08:29:28 »
Quote from: nayoung
No sound on 416 A One-Winged Angel.minipsf (XP - SP1)
Going to test on 98SE, ME & Win2000 (SP3)

Augh, I thought I fixed that. I'm sure there are others. It's the way that the midi files are recognized in the lgp. Some files think that they are really there, but there is something terribly wrong. I apologize for my failure.

[EDIT]
After actually testing it, it appears that the last boss theme does in fact play with the file that replaces it. I just got done testing it out with my SPC config (yes, music from SNES games can fit in FF7) and the song for the final boss did in fact play. Maybe the minipsf file is written incorrectly inside FF7music.ini.

By the way, my SPC config totally kicks the OST right in the ass. My music selection is near perfect.

Looks like another bug fix, Aaron..or not at all..

Smurgen

• View Profile
    • Http://smurgen.kj-soft.com
FF7 PSFs in FF7 Pc?
« Reply #35 on: 2003-03-15 14:15:45 »
Well the PSF guy is proposing an addition to the file format that will play PS2 music.... FF10 in FF7 anyone?

Aaron

• View Profile
FF7 PSFs in FF7 Pc?
« Reply #36 on: 2003-03-15 14:59:12 »
The One-Winged Angel file appears to be configured correctly.  I'm off to test it, and the introduction.

[Edit] Tested the Bombing Mission (102 Bombing Mission.minipsf) used after the intro movie, it worked fine.

[Edit] Tested with the final boss music, and it worked too... maybe something's wrong with Nori's config?

KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
FF7 PSFs in FF7 Pc?
« Reply #37 on: 2003-03-15 16:36:48 »
I WOULD contribute to the uber-fication of FF7 Music, but remember, the DLS that runs my WDM device is all funky.

In any case Sam's FF8 DLS makes FF7 sound darm nice :D

Aaron

• View Profile
FF7 PSFs in FF7 Pc?
« Reply #38 on: 2003-03-15 21:16:40 »
I am in the process of uploading a new version of the "FF7Music/PSF Pack" which contains version 1.08 of "Highly Experimental," the PSF playback plug-in, which was released yesterday.  I don't know if this will correct any of the problems people have been having, but its worth a try.

Rubicant

• View Profile
FF7 PSFs in FF7 Pc?
« Reply #39 on: 2003-03-15 21:47:24 »
Quote from: Smurgen
FF10 in FF7 anyone?

I probably wouldn't do it. There were only three songs from FFX which I actually did find somewhat cool. They were:

- The song when you are traveling through wilderness
- The techno-style boss battle theme
- The song at the beginning when you are fighting all of the scales. It's the one with the violin and organ.

Other than that, I find FF5 songs much better than what was in FFX. I'm sorry, but I didn't like FFX. However, I'm not about to start a "I hated FFX" thread.

Quote from: Aaron
I am in the process of uploading a new version of the "FF7Music/PSF Pack" which contains version 1.08 of "Highly Experimental," the PSF playback plug-in, which was released yesterday. I don't know if this will correct any of the problems people have been having, but its worth a try.

I really didn't notice anything too different, but it seems to load PSF's a tiny bit faster. Or else that's all in my head...

Aaron, back to the thing about "Nori's config being wrong". I think that she forgot to replace the midi.lgp with the new one I made. The only reason why "bombing mission", "chasing the black-caped man", "one-winged angel", "you can hear the cry of the planet", and some other songs play with FF7Music is because of my modified midi.lgp. One song that I tested last night that doesn't work is tb..aka the song when cloud takes his helmet off in the "finding cloud" sequence. I'll fix it right..now..

Nori

• View Profile
~~~
« Reply #40 on: 2003-03-15 23:10:21 »
I did, but that's just one of my computer (didn't work.)

If anyone would like to replace psf...
Kingdom Hearts FM's A One-Winged Angel (revised version.)

Goku7

• View Profile
FF7 PSFs in FF7 Pc?
« Reply #41 on: 2003-03-15 23:34:39 »
Well the PSF guy is proposing an addition to the file format that will play PS2 music.... FF10 in FF7 anyone?

Now, I thought SquareSoft stopped using MIDI-type formats in FFX ('cause of the higher space allowed with the DVD format), and started using some variant of XA audio.....

Unless I've got my info all wrong again....:rolleyes:

Smurgen

• View Profile
FF7 PSFs in FF7 Pc?
« Reply #42 on: 2003-03-16 02:12:34 »
if you can yank out the game while its still on and the music keeps going, its most likely MIDI ^_^

Aaron

• View Profile
FF7 PSFs in FF7 Pc?
« Reply #43 on: 2003-03-16 03:51:13 »
With the DVD disc format, developers can certainly store music in formats more advanced than MIDI.  However, I think the PS2 has a limited amount of RAM, and with MIDI its easy to load the whole song into memory to play it, rather than having to continually load the music from the disc while trying to load other things as well.  MIDI works fine as a music solution because its small and sounds good if you have good hardware and samples.

KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
FF7 PSFs in FF7 Pc?
« Reply #44 on: 2003-03-16 15:20:22 »
Once again, the crippling they did to the PS2 strikes again!

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
FF7 PSFs in FF7 Pc?
« Reply #45 on: 2003-03-16 20:45:32 »
well with the HUGE amount of FMV used of course they couldnt fit XA quality music :P

Smurgen

• View Profile
FF7 PSFs in FF7 Pc?
« Reply #46 on: 2003-03-16 22:15:10 »
Just because music is MIDI dosen't mean its no good... Afterall, Metroid Prime's music is MIDI
I hopew someone makes a GCSF ^_^

Goku7

• View Profile
FF7 PSFs in FF7 Pc?
« Reply #47 on: 2003-03-16 22:26:30 »
Just because music is MIDI dosen't mean its no good... Afterall, Metroid Prime's music is MIDI
I hopew someone makes a GCSF ^_^

Now I'm confused, 'cause it someone (either either here or at the VGmusic.com forums) once said that the Metroid Prime music was in Ogg Vorbis format.  Of course, for all I know the dude could have been smoking the proverbial pipe while posting that.... :P

Smurgen

• View Profile
FF7 PSFs in FF7 Pc?
« Reply #48 on: 2003-03-16 22:43:44 »
well metroid's music is in gamecube's version of midi...yank out the game while playing and see what i mean
if it was streamed it would stop when the CD was removed

Lord Kane

• View Profile
    • http://lordkane.co.uk
FF7 PSFs in FF7 Pc?
« Reply #49 on: 2003-03-17 09:52:55 »
>well metroid's music is in gamecube's version of midi...

Like PSF or SPC you mean, which have far better quality than PC MIDI unless you have a Soundfont the size of seattle... or a proper Yamaha XG card.

>yank out the game while playing and see what i mean
if it was streamed it would stop when the CD was removed

OGG can be loaded into RAM quite easily. OGG is around half the size of MP3, and a good quality MP3 track is only 1 meg a minute.
Try taking out a PSX CD while CD-XA (The PSX equivalent of MP3) is playing. Guess what? The music doesn't stop!