Author Topic: FF 7 no sound & please help me!!  (Read 6764 times)

arigatou

FF 7 no sound & please help me!!
« on: 2003-03-07 14:35:21 »
Hiya, I just got FF VII again....but this time I can hear backgroundmusic only, so I have no sound fx.... :( :(

Does anyone know why, or where I could get these sound fx files?

:erm: thx!

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #1 on: 2003-03-07 14:43:43 »
Hey... couuld you give us some more info?  Like...

Your OS
Your processor type/speed, video card, sound card(s),

Anyway, I'd say check to make sure the FF7 configuration utility is set to use the "Primary Sound Driver."  Actually, if you have several choices for the sound device in the configuration utility, try each one of them.

arigatou

« Reply #2 on: 2003-03-07 21:05:22 »
Hi thx for reply, I checked config, but I can't choose 'primary sound driver'. I can  choose 'via audio wave' only.

But this is strange, cause first time I got the game (borrowed) and
installed it on my compit worked perfectly. But I had to return that one........so..

And now I got the game, but only the soundfx don't work. ( I hear no shootingsounds or bombs or so). I already checked config and tried all sound options!!! so if u know what the problem is..... let me know!

thx!

Aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2003-03-07 21:13:36 »
So, how about your system specs?

Hey... couuld you give us some more info? Like...

Your OS
Your processor type/speed, video card, sound card(s), etc.

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2003-03-07 21:50:15 »
Hmm...sounds like he has a rare sound card that actually ISN'T supported by directX.

My second guess would be that he's running some really old sound drivers or a version of DirectX that is below 5.0

Arigatou, what would be most helpful is telling us the exact model of the sound card.

You can find this a number of ways:

1.)If you have the speaker icon available in the lower-right hand corner, then right-click on it and select "Adjust Audio properties" (or something to that effect, since it may be worded differently on Win2k/XP

2.)A more informative way would be to Click the Start Button and select "Run...", then typing in the word "DXDIAG" and clicking ok.

This brings up the DirectX Diagnostic program, which runs tests for DirectX compatibility/functionality based on your current drivers.  In the "Sound" tab, you should see information about your sound card, its manufacturer, WHQL signing, and the option to test how well DirectSound works on your current drivers.

arigatou

« Reply #5 on: 2003-03-07 22:28:05 »
Ok some info of my comp: win ME, Pentium III, 800hz, soundcard: Via Audio Wave (WDM), videocard: Nvidia TNT2...and I have directX 8.1..

But the weird thing is that it worked before, the first time I got a game of FF VII...So now I got FF VII it does not work :weep:

question, If I cannot hear chopperssounds and gunsounds and so, is this due to the MIDI-driver or the sounddriver?

thx!

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2003-03-07 22:50:35 »
Quote from: arigatou
Ok some info of my comp: win ME, Pentium III, 800hz, soundcard: Via Audio Wave (WDM), videocard: Nvidia TNT2...and I have directX 8.1..

But the weird thing is that it worked before, the first time I got a game of FF VII...So now I got FF VII it does not work :weep:

question, If I cannot hear chopperssounds and gunsounds and so, is this due to the MIDI-driver or the sounddriver?

thx!

Hmmm....now I get it.  The "Via" probably means its a built-in sound card on the motherboard, which has a VIA chipset.

The fact that it's a WDM class driver leads me to believe that you don't have a physical MIDI chip built into the card, and thus the MIDI is done thru software, and that requires the WaveOut device to produce sound.  Because of that, the only way for simultaneous use of MIDI playback and Wave output (i.e. the Sound effects), is to output the MIDI thru DirectSound, since DirectSound allows multiple applications (in this case, the MIDI software and FF7's sound effect code) to use the WaveOut device simultaneously.

If you used to have both Sound and MIDI playing back with the same exact sound card, then its a driver issue.  Therefore, if it IS a built-in sound card, and IF your motherboard is a VIA chipset, then using the latest VIA 4-in-1 drivers should resolve the issue.

Aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2003-03-08 04:23:45 »
The newest VIA drivers can be found at
http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2 (version 4.45)

Perhaps you should try different settings for your MIDI playback device in FF7Config if this does not solve your problem.

arigatou

« Reply #8 on: 2003-03-08 12:05:25 »
Ah ok, so the problem is with the midi-driver, not the sounddriver? I do not know that much about comp, so... :-?

Aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2003-03-08 15:27:01 »
Install the Yamaha Synthesizer off of the FF7 install disc.
When it asks if you want to make it the default sound device, say "No."
Restart your computer.

When it boots back up, go to the Sounds and Multimedia (or Sounds and Audio Devices) control panel.  Go to the Audio Tab and set the default MIDI playback device to the Yamaha SoftSynthesizer.

Go to the S-YXG70 control panel and set it to "XG-Soft" instead of "XG-Lite."

Go to FF7 Configurator and set the MIDI device to the Yamaha SoftSynthesizer, and the MIDI data to XG MIDI.

This wlil probably fix your problems.

Sukaeto

• View Profile
    • Sukaeto's web server
« Reply #10 on: 2003-03-08 18:30:58 »
If you're having problems with the sound effects, I highly doubt the MIDI driver is the culprit . . .

I've seen this problem a lot in the past.  (Before you try this, make sure the volume in the game isn't somehow turned all the way down for the sound effects . . . I've had stuff like that happen to me before.)

Anyway, alot of times, the audio codecs that come with Windows seem to be the problem.  Go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs.   Under the Windows Setup tab, one of the components will be Multimedia.  Select that and click the details button.  Another Window will pop up with a bunch of sound and video components.  'Audio Compression' is probably the first one.  (It is on Win98, anyway.  If it's not the first thing, it should still be in there somewhere.)  Uncheck that box to uninstall the codecs. (If the box is already unchecked, that probably is your problem in the first place . . . just check it off, insert the Windows CD when it asks, restart your computer, and you should be fine.)  Tell it OK, then restart your computer.  Then go back to where you just were (Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Windows Setup -> Multimedia components) and re-check that 'Audio Compression' box.  Tell it OK. (it'll probably ask for the WindowsME CD.  If your computer came with everything pre-installed, and all you got was a Recovery CD, you should be able to enter 'C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS' at the prompt when it asks for the CD . . . most manufacturers will put the setup files there.)  Then restart your computer again, and try running FF7.

Hope this helps!  Maybe Threesixy knows something more (I seem to remember him having an exact method to this.)  He'll probably reply when he sees this topic.

---Edit---

Ah, I missed what Goku said up there about the MIDI playing back through WAV.  I've never run into that before (with the creative SoftSynth, or the YAMAHA), but I suppose it's possible.  I guess this is why the YAMAHA SoftSynth also installs a WAV output device.  If that does turn up being the problem, you can try using the YAMAHA synth's WAV device for your Sound driver (although Aaron's method of using the YAMAHA synth as your MIDI device is, IMO, much better than this solution.  The YAMAHA SoftSynth will give you the best possible MIDI playback with your SoundCAred.)

arigatou

« Reply #11 on: 2003-03-09 01:37:53 »
Hi, thx for all your help! another strange thing is that if I test SOUND and MIDI at config, they both work! So maybe my audio codecs are ok then...? maybe there is another problem that the sounsfiles aren't ok?

Aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2003-03-09 04:51:56 »
Did you try what I wrote about the Yamaha SoftSyntheizer?

arigatou

« Reply #13 on: 2003-03-09 08:36:28 »
Yup, tried Yamaha, and still backgroundmusic only.....

Mofokubik

• View Profile
Subject
« Reply #14 on: 2003-03-11 01:04:08 »
how big are the audio.dad and audio.fmt files, they are in yourff7directory\data\sound\
because there is versions floating around on the internet without those files.
and that could be the problem, it was for me one time.
then i just got the files, replaced them, and it was working for me

Mofokubik

• View Profile
correction, not audio.dad....its audio.dat
« Reply #15 on: 2003-03-11 01:05:36 »
correction, not audio.dad....its audio.dat

...sorry for the double post

Aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2003-03-11 03:24:24 »
You know, you can edit your old post instead of double-posting.

But that's a good point.
Did you get your FF7 from a store or something, as in you have it on Eidos CDs, or did you download it?  If you downloaded it, you might as well give up asking for support, because not only is it illegal, but there can be "oddities" in cracked or pirated versions that we simply will not support.

arigatou

« Reply #17 on: 2003-03-11 07:05:51 »
I actually do not know if this game is original, I got it from a friend on a cd, I myself have searched for the game for PC THAt long, and still couldn't find it anywhere... when I was in US not...but I have an audio and audio.fmt file, both are 0 bytes.... Dou know how I can replace them?

thx!

Jedimark

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2003-03-11 08:27:36 »
If you installed the game and you got an audio.dat file that is 0bytes then you can safely asume that you have an illegal copy of FF7.

Go out and buy the game.... a copy will be on the net somewhere.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&query=Final+Fantasy+7+PC+Game&cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&ht=1&from=R10&currdisp=2&itemtimedisp=1&st=2&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&BasicSearch=

Aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2003-03-11 11:59:49 »
This also explains why your sound does not work.  If you get a full version, and uninstall/reinstall FF7, your sound problem will be corrected.