Author Topic: problems with ff7 & d3d  (Read 6145 times)

Cloud

• View Profile
problems with ff7 & d3d
« on: 2003-03-28 20:56:01 »
first off: yes, i've read every topic about d3d problems etc, but haven't found a solution, so i need your help :) .

system specs (only the ones relevant for ff7):
- p4 3ghz
- radeon9700pro w/ catalyst 3.2 drivers (fsaa off)
- 1gb ram
- sb audigy2

what i've done:
- installed ff7 w/ directshow stuff
- copied the ff7config.exe from the nvidia patch
- installed chocobo patch
- installed application compatibility toolkit and fixed the ff7.exe with win95 as layer

ff7 itself runs fine in software mode, no crashes or other problems. it also runs in d3d, BUT textures are missing (or are black) and the gfx ist a bit weird (look at the screens... yep it's the german version, but i don't think gfx problems are related to this ;)):

http://www.excrucio.net/cloud/ff7(1).jpg
http://www.excrucio.net/cloud/ff7(2).jpg

in other words: unplayable  :weep: . i really hope you guys can help me out, since i've no clue what is causing these problems.

Contra

• View Profile
    • http://contraspontanus.deviantart.com
problems with ff7 & d3d
« Reply #1 on: 2003-03-28 21:41:26 »
THAT is what my cursor and font looked like, it has to do with 8-Bit Palletized textures, that's one thing I'm positive on.

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
problems with ff7 & d3d
« Reply #2 on: 2003-03-28 22:28:17 »
Have you tried using the ff7.exe from the NVidia patch too...? I did for my Radeon - not a 9700 (unfortunately!), but nevertheless, worth trying.

Cloud

• View Profile
problems with ff7 & d3d
« Reply #3 on: 2003-03-29 00:37:03 »
yep, results in a crash to desktop tho, even when using the compatibility toolkit  :( .

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
problems with ff7 & d3d
« Reply #4 on: 2003-03-29 03:47:14 »
I know nothing about ATI...but if you can get the 8bit pallet test to say fail....the Tnt Patch will work....

Rivatuner used to be the answer for the earlier Det drivers for the Geforce cards. You would have to use Rivatuner to disable the 8 bit palletization on the earlier drivers. Because those earlier drivers had lousy 8 bit pallet support.....This is no longer the case for the Geforce driver. The 8 bit pallet is 100% compatible with FF7, now. Now you just need the FF7config.exe file from the patch...because the option of Hardware mode doesn't appear in the original FF7config.exe.

You need to find a 3rd party ATI driver editor, to disable that part of the driver....if one even exists. If you can get the test to say FAIL, you'll be able to get Direct3d going.

Cloud

• View Profile
problems with ff7 & d3d
« Reply #5 on: 2003-03-29 04:19:59 »
8bit does fail and the patch does "work"... with these gfx bugs that is.
i've already tried progs such as powerstrip to enable 8bit texture support, but there's no such option... i guess i'll have to deal with software rendering.

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
problems with ff7 & d3d
« Reply #6 on: 2003-04-05 00:11:36 »
Well, let me just walk through the steps of the old way of setting up Direct3d, with Win98...

I would do a full install of FF7.
download the TNT patch

Run Rivatuner
Go into the Texture tab for Direct3d,
uncheck the 8bit pallet thing.
Reboot.

Then,
move/overide the FF7config.exe file over to the FF7 directory.
Make sure that it said failed...if it said Pass, I would have to refiddle with Rivatuner....such as download a newer version.

Configure FF7config for Hardwaremode and check the Riva option, and the TNT option.
Move over the FF7.exe file.

And it was ready to play.

Now for the crashes related to Acceleration and my understanding of them.

Using the original FF7.exe with the Riva options checked inside FF7config, would cause a crash as soon as the game would launch. And using the TNT patch's FF7.exe with the Riva options unchecked would cause black backgrounds

.....or was it the other way around????

Man....I can't remember. Well, regardless, this rule is true. Only check the Riva box if you are using the TNT FF7.exe. And if using the original FF7.exe, don't check the box; or it will be crash city.

Cloud

• View Profile
problems with ff7 & d3d
« Reply #7 on: 2003-04-05 07:43:48 »
Quote from: Threesixty
Using the original FF7.exe with the Riva options checked inside FF7config, would cause a crash as soon as the game would launch. And using the TNT patch's FF7.exe with the Riva options unchecked would cause black backgrounds

.....or was it the other way around????

i get black backgrounds with tnt patch & the riva options _checked_, with original ff7.exe or chocobo patch ff7.exe. i have tried about everything to get the tnt patch ff7.exe to run, no friggin way (and i don't want a dual boot system). i think win2000 combined with a radeon9700pro is just too much for ff7, hehe.

thanks for your input though  :) .

Rook

problems with ff7 & d3d
« Reply #8 on: 2003-04-05 12:11:39 »
thats exactly what my radeon 8500 modded to 9100 with cat 3.2 drivers looks like.

I've tried messing with lots of registry settings to no avail.

For some reason ATI doesn't want you to draw 3d and 2d models on the screen at the same time.

Someone email ATI.

Cyberman

• View Profile
problems with ff7 & d3d
« Reply #9 on: 2003-04-05 15:59:25 »
Cloud are you using the latest ATI drivers?

If so they have some bugs in them, and this is one of them. PSX emulator gamers have been complaining about Pete's D3D and OGL drivers doing odd things as well.

I think the only solution is REMAKE :)

I'm amazed it works as well as it does still considering how (non standard) d3d has changed so much over the years.

Cyb

Cloud

• View Profile
problems with ff7 & d3d
« Reply #10 on: 2003-04-05 16:11:54 »
yep, i'm using the latest drivers (3.2)... maybe i'll downgrade to 3.1 and see, will keep you updated.

edit: downgrade to catalyst 3.1 didn't help   :weep:

Rook

problems with ff7 & d3d
« Reply #11 on: 2003-04-06 00:25:09 »
I've got rage3d tweak installed and I went and tried checking and unchekcing tons of settings, and it didn't do a thing.

Whatever handle they are using to call 2d backgrounds into a 3d environment is not working correctly with the ATI drivers.

I'm sure if they opened the source to the executable there would be someone that would fix it for radeon support.  I doubt its that hard really.

Cyberman

• View Profile
problems with ff7 & d3d
« Reply #12 on: 2003-04-06 00:59:46 »
It's not likely they will do that.

Also remember that FF7 PC is like D3D version 6.0.. so support might be questionable at best for 'old' games.  This happens a lot as new versions of drivers are introduced as well as new cards.

Cyb