Author Topic: A new PC... a new collection of problems?  (Read 11134 times)

sfx1999

• View Profile
A new PC... a new collection of problems?
« Reply #25 on: 2004-01-28 01:40:02 »
One thing, getting 4GB for Windblows is useless. Everything above 2 GB gets reserved. I think it was 2 GB.

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #26 on: 2004-01-28 02:47:45 »
One thing, getting 4GB for Windblows is useless. Everything above 2 GB gets reserved. I think it was 2 GB.

Windows XP can address up to 4 GB.  Convenient, this is also the max amount of memory that a 32-bit processor can address without doing anything wierd (like this). If I am reading this correctly, you're right, 2 GB is usually the maximum amount that most apps can address, but you can increase this to 3 GB by throwing a /3GB switch into the boot.ini file (see article linked above).  I don't see why you would need more than 3 GB (or even 2 GB) in your PC right now.

IIRC, Windows XP 64-bit Edition for Extended Systems (not yet released) can support more than 4 GBs of RAM, but 32-bit applications will still be limited to 4 GB.  I don't really know anything about Windows XP 64-bit Edition for Itanium Systems (doesn't look like its about to go into mainstream use).

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
« Reply #27 on: 2004-01-28 16:38:38 »
You really don't want that much ram.....There is reason why buffers and ECC are mandatory on sticks above 512 and on servers. It's because, the more Ram you have, the more errors your going to get.....errors equals crashes/freezes/Crash to desktop. It has to do with solar flares from the sun, or something...I don't know.

Also....Sticks with Buffers and ECC are slower than the smaller, non-buffered sticks.

Me, personally, I not that intrested in fast computers, anymore...I'm sticking with my 1.2 Athlon, G2, Win98SE. There is just not much software that I need or want for it, anymore....I'm talking about games, of course. The only one I'm interested in is Halflife2.....and even that doesn't get me as excited as StarOcean3  Xenosaga Ep2, or MGS3.

sfx1999

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2004-01-28 16:51:15 »
Aaron: The Itanium is not x86 compatible. The Windows for it comes with a built in emulator.

Threesixty: Are you saying that if I split memory among slots it will reduce the chances of a crash? That does not make any sense. Anyway, the odds of a crippling memory error are probably low, and with more memory it is probably still low. Of course, maybe it is just a problem with Windows.

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
« Reply #29 on: 2004-01-28 16:54:02 »
No...I'm saying more un-buffered sticks mean more random crashes...and buffered sticks, means a slower computer......

It's give and take.

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #30 on: 2004-01-28 18:16:08 »
Aaron: The Itanium is not x86 compatible. The Windows for it comes with a built in emulator.

Yeah I know... I didn't say it was x86 compatible.  I mentioned it's Windows XP version mainly to differentiate it from the other 64-bit edition.

xeriouxi

• View Profile
Yay! I got it!
« Reply #31 on: 2004-01-29 08:44:37 »
Hi!

I finally got my PC. It is the one listed on the start of the thread! It's really great and super fast! Only one problem, though... the fonts in FF7 look really wrong. Does anybody know how to fix this? They just look very ugly and unreadable because they look like they have been drawn in Paint or something.  :D

xeriouxi.

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2004-01-30 10:39:12 »
All Hail The Great FF7 FAQ By Aaron Sire ...  :roll: