Author Topic: FF7 PSX in a single DVD  (Read 15545 times)

Alan-R

FF7 PSX in a single DVD
« on: 2008-01-13 02:59:12 »
First of all Hi to everybody. Ive recently end up in this forum and I get really excited to see how much a FF7 can improve and stuff. So thanks to everybody for your works they are great.

Well to the point I guess.

I'm trying to get the 3 Cd's of FF7 in just 1 DVD (PSX Version) so you don't have to keep changing the disk and stuff. (I'm planning to play the game in a modded PS2)
The fact is that I want to do something else with it and I don't have a clue on how to cuz I'm REALY a new on programming.

The thing I want to do if possible are
*First of all make it work all in one DVD, I have an idea, but I don't know if the LBAs are relevant if they are I'm screwed. Besides I DK if putting the 3 main files in the root will make it work or if I will have to make 1 larger file from those 3 (That will be a problem) . (I'm going to try tomorrow as soon as I get a DVD+R and post the results)
*Change the squared superdeformed graphics, by for example a more detailed one like the models of the battles.
*Change the movies by newer, better animated ones, like i.e. the intro for the tactical PS3 demo (Ive heard that the movies for PSX are actually AVIs  is that truth)
*Change the default songs  by newer ones (the orchestra ones)

Sorry if I'm asking something already posted but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

By the way I'm not expecting for you guy to tell me an answer like copy and paste (Although that would be cool and easy) I'm willing to learn a little bit of programming to do it, but I have no idea where to start.

Well sorry everybody for being such an ignorant, but I'm from a Third World country and I get my first PC like 2 and a half years ago. And an internet connection 3 month ago. So I'm still newbie in everything but I'm trying hard to learn.

Ah and sorry about typos and stuff, but English is not my natural language

Otokoshi

• View Profile
Re: FF7 PSX in a single DVD
« Reply #1 on: 2008-01-13 06:21:53 »
First off, welcome to the forums.  This certainly seems like an ambitious project.  There's probably a few things you should know before getting started.

Quote from: Alan-R
The thing I want to do if possible are
*First of all make it work all in one DVD, I have an idea, but I don't know if the LBAs are relevant if they are I'm screwed. Besides I DK if putting the 3 main files in the root will make it work or if I will have to make 1 larger file from those 3 (That will be a problem) . (I'm going to try tomorrow as soon as I get a DVD+R and post the results)

This method worked with older PC titles that used simple InstallShield to install the game.  A console game CD would be a little more tricky.  I'd search around before sacrificing a DVD, remember Google is your friend.

*Change the squared superdeformed graphics, by for example a more detailed one like the models of the battles.

That's already being done by some great folks here.

NPC Reconstruction Project

This is done with the PC version.  New player models have not been added to the PSX version yet.

*Change the movies by newer, better animated ones, like i.e. the intro for the tactical PS3 demo (Ive heard that the movies for PSX are actually AVIs  is that truth)

Well they are not simply .avi files.  You would need programs such as PSmplay or PSX Movie Player to view the .str, .mov, and .iki files.  The PC version can play any video file that you have a codec for.  Plenty of people have done work with enhancing the videos for FF7, like here for example.  Currently, FF7 videos must be at 320x224 resolution at 15 frames per second.  It should also be the same length as the video you are replacing, or the music timings will be off.  You can circumvent this by increasing or decreasing your fps in your new video to match the same amount of total frames of the video you are replacing.

*Change the default songs  by newer ones (the orchestra ones)

This has also been done for the PC version.  You can find the sticky tutorial for Ficedula's FF7 Music here.  You can replace it with whatever music you like, of course any FF soundtrack works the best.

I don't mean to post all of this to discourage you.  Like I said, you have very ambitious goals.  Many people here have done great things with the game.  With enough patience and working at these a step at a time, you could be the one with the next big innovation.

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-01-13 12:57:49 »
i doubt that's possible.

when running a psx game everything is handled by IOP processor (which is the same as psx main cpu), which is programmed to work like ps1 console. so reading dvd's is most likely not possible in psx mode.

when using ps2 normally IOP handles all I/O for the console (network/CD/DVD/HDD/input/memcards etc) and other cpu's do all the math

the IOP cpu can be programmed to do various I/O tasks at will, but in ps1 mode all it's programmed with s so-called ps1drv which makes it work like a ps1 console.
« Last Edit: 2008-01-13 13:03:20 by yoshi314 »

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-01-13 15:55:45 »
I think what Yoshi314 is saying you would have to port FF7 to PS2 console.  Although possible it is likely to get Square on you with a C & D.  Basically this is taking copyrighted and trade marked material and putting it to another platform.  This is fine, however you CANNOT distribute it, and that is where the C & D comes in.  If you wish to distribute it, you can only do so as a compiler with patches.  That is no original content (from FF7 PS1 release) can be contained in the distribution, the person must have the media (IE PS1 disks) in which to build the entire game from to the UMD (DVD) media.  All this neglects the fact you actually NEED an FF7 engine to work with this AND because FF7 has some scripting that is disk related (IE scripts for areas vary between discs). So you would need an engine to run the original script data you would have to MERGE scripts for all disks for each area, the viewable area is yet another issue.  This is about a 2 year project my estimation, and the PS2 is going to be gone by then. Not sure what to say, maybe make it for the Wii, or Xbox 360? :)

Cyb

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008-01-13 19:04:08 »
some people have figured out how to run psx games off ps2 hdd. there used to be an online channel available via bb navigator on ps2, where you supposedly could download some ps1 games to ps2 hdd and run them off there.

it still remains a closely guarded sony's secret how did they do it, though. i suspect a digitally signed ps2 bios update on memcard, which would replace ps1drv with a modified version that would allow such features.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008-01-13 20:04:07 »
There is a bug in the PS2 bios that allows you to place a hook in the memcard file as part of it, it can be used to force the PS2 to run user code.  This is how they did it.  How it works is no longer available as the discoverer got a C & D' by Sony for posting it on the web.  Such is life? Also people were trying to use it with nefarious purposes in mind as well that is what got Sony involved on his behind.  Just goes to show give people a way and they'll screw everything up.

Cyb

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008-01-13 20:35:29 »
this bug is well known and it's known as independence exploit.

it works on "fat" ps2 (every one except slim models). it causes a buffer overflow when starting a ps1 game. if you put specifically crafted files on the memcard beforehand.

you can boot unencrypted executables off memory card this way [the "unencrypted" part is important here]. the name 'independence' came from possibility to use homebrew apps on ps2 without messing with console's hardware - you don't void your warranty this way, and don't risk bricking your ps2 with some modchip.

now what i was actually talking about in my previous post is a feature [not a bug] present in every ps2 console, put in there deliberately by sony.

on system startup console searches memcards for directory BxDATA-SYSTEM , BxDATA-EXEC and BxDATA-DVDPLAYER [ x stands for region code of the console, e.g. E/A/I , specific to Europe/USA/Asia, there are some others most likely ] and if it finds certain files inside it tries to verify their digital signature [which is said to be unique to each region and each memcard]. if the check passes, files replace certain modules of the ps2 bios or can be executed right on startup.

that's how bb navigator and sony ps2 dvd update disks [the one provided with some ps2 infrared dvd playback controllers] worked - you didn't need to boot console of _any_ disk. only with a memcard you used during installation of the tool. also that's how hdd utility provided with ff11 for ps2 works - they install bios updates on memory cards and sign them in a special way. you can browse your ps2's hdd from the ps2 browser afterwards, and save games there instead of memory cards.

some people have figured out that digital signature and created their custom executable that patches ps2 bios in a couple of ways. that's how memento was created - it's essentially a software modchip on a custom 32mb memory card for ps2 (memor32), which requires no hardware intervention. pure plug-and-play, exploiting features put into ps2 by sony.

this way you could create updated ps1drv and make ps2 update its internal ps1drv to your version, to have extra features - if you can code and digitally sign one, that is.

but that thing is highly illegal, as it involves sony's proprietary digital signing, encryption, verification and drm-like solution, which name is written right above memory card slots on your ps2 ;-) [i won't post its name here, since it attacts unwanted attention]
« Last Edit: 2008-01-13 20:45:01 by yoshi314 »

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008-01-14 16:15:51 »
Wow, Yoshi you are upto date with the PS2-Scene ( :roll: ), all he said was correct using a way to fake sign the files by using a custom chip similar to how Dat*l was able to produce 32MB PS2 memory cards which claimed to have M*gicG*t* support in them.
Would be mamoth work to write up your own ps1drv though.

Alan-R

« Reply #8 on: 2008-01-14 18:09:32 »
Thanks to all for replying.
I'm a little bit disappointed, I though it would be easier. But as they say "No pain, no gain"

Otokoshi
I couldn't find how to do something like that in goggle, thats why I decided to ask in this forum.
In witch crazy world goggle has the "answer to life the universe and everything" and it doesn't say how to merge 3 PSX Cd's in a PS2 DVD.
The NPC project is really great, but is for PC version and I want to do that with the PSX version
By the way your videos are cool. Unfortunately they are for the PC version too.

So let me see if I get it right.
The PS2 emulates the PSX games trough an original PSX CPU, and thats the reason why I can,t save the game on DVD. So why if I emulate the PSX game trough Software insteed of Hardware. There are several consols emulator for PS2 (like pgen, snes, etc.) that boots the CD starts the emulator and then load the roms.
So is that possible.
My problem is that my PS2 doesn't read CD-Rs (Don't know why) But DVD-R are read perfectly. And I have the original FF7 Cd's, but I lost the 1st CD in a terrible accident (The little son of a b*** of my brother split the CD in half *sniff*) so So Ive download the 1st CD but my PS2 doesn't read it. (I think that downloading the CD when you actually bought one is not illegal right?)

Thats the main reason to make it on a DVD.

I know its like a really ambitious project so it will take time, but I hope not as much as Cyb thinks. Hes right if it takes to much then the PS2 will no longer exist by then. Doing it for XBOX360 or PS3 will be cool, but I don't have any of those consols to try if it works so PS2 its my only option. And a Wii version..........I have nothing against the Wii but............It sucks. I think the Wii is just a good consol if you play Sports games and if you play with friend. But I don't see much future in RPGs for Wii (But I may be wrong, maybe an RPG where the fights are in real time and you have to move the Wiimote as a sword, it would be nice)

If anyone knows why cant I real CD-R let me know. By the PS2 its modded so it should read it

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008-01-14 19:28:48 »
maybe the media is bad, or written at the wrong speed.

also when copying psx games you need to copy them via clonecd or similar tool operating in raw mode.

btw you can fool ps2 into reading normal dvdr's by making them look like dvd-video discs. but you won't be able to boot them, as the console will see them as video-dvd. i use it to put videos for sms on dvd (ps2 homebrew video/mp3 player) so i don't have to read them off usb or internal ps2 hdd.

unmodded console won't reject such fake video-dvds.

The PS2 emulates the PSX games trough an original PSX CPU, and thats the reason why I can,t save the game on DVD. So why if I emulate the PSX game trough Software insteed of Hardware. There are several consols emulator for PS2 (like pgen, snes, etc.) that boots the CD starts the emulator and then load the roms.
if you could create you own ps1drv an somehow make ps2 use it instead of the internal one, you might succeed.

i'm not sure what processors are involved when running ps1 games. IOP works as the main psx cpu, and GS probably does work with video. since IOP is ps2's main I/O chip you are essentially locked out of any extra hardware access, unless you tinker with ps1drv itself. which is not easy.

i don't know what EE is doing, though. it might be emulating the rest of the hardware. it's hard to estimate if there is a lot of processing power unused at that time, to take extra advantage of.

some people seen one part of bishi bashi psx game running off hdd on ps2, and some megaman psx game running in the same manner. one game ran off dvd/cd with hdd install option, and the other was available via online service for lucky japanese bb navigator owners :/

i believe this is possible, but information on how to do it was most likely provided only to really trusted developer studios by sony, and will remain as one of the most mysterious secrets of ps2.

if hd loader never existed ps2 might actually get some more services involving hdd and online connectivity. but that's just my speculation, as sony didn't put much effort in developing those services, even before this infamous tool was developed.
« Last Edit: 2008-01-14 19:33:08 by yoshi314 »

Myria kitty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008-01-15 05:00:35 »
Maybe they just ported those games to PS2.  I highly doubt that they can run in PS1 mode while still having access to DVD or hard drive.

In concept, porting a PS1 game to PS2 would work in one of two ways.  One way is to recompile it for R5900, fully porting to PS2.  The other way is to have the game run on the R3000, but in PS2 mode.  In the latter method, most of the game code would not change - only actual hardware access.  Sound, CD and controller access would go to the PS2 IOP libraries; GPU accesses would be sent to the R5900; GTE would remain as-is since the CPU supports it.

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008-01-15 13:54:32 »
The fact that Sony never bothered to push the HD here in the EU and just got 1 HD game in the US suggests that they dropped the idea long time ago.
The Japanese got the the BB navi from day 1 almost and they had the external HDD from day 1 with the SLPS 10000 series of the PS2.
But it took FF11 in the US to bring the HDD over on to PS2, and I think maybe some units may have sold here in the UK before they pulled it in the light of PS2 HDloader.
The Dev9 exploit (IE) is probably the best thing that has happened to the aging PS2, but I feel the Memor32 introduction maybe too late.
Where are those PS2 emulators, I can't wait to play most games in full HD on my Core 2 duo PC!

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008-01-15 19:48:33 »
The fact that Sony never bothered to push the HD here in the EU and just got 1 HD game in the US suggests that they dropped the idea long time ago.
i don't know - after all all ps2's till v11 had the ability to use hdd via network adapter. but i'm not really familiar with the timeline of ps2's models and hdloader.

The Dev9 exploit (IE) is probably the best thing that has happened to the aging PS2
definitely. it opened the gates to homebrew software on ps2. right now there is an unofficial linux kernel loader in the works on ps2dev.org which aims to replace the need for sony's linux kit (something i really look forward to). it's mostly complete right now. we wouldn't get there if it weren't for the guy who discovered the exploit in the first place ;-)

Where are those PS2 emulators, I can't wait to play most games in full HD on my Core 2 duo PC!
pcsx2 works like a charm on dual-core systems. i don't have one such system, so i can only tell you the impressions of other users. besides i consider my ps2 good enough. graphics are ok and the gameplay doesn't need much enhancements emu can provide. i would only benefit from "save anywhere" feature by using an ps2 emu :]
« Last Edit: 2008-01-15 19:51:03 by yoshi314 »

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008-01-15 21:09:56 »
when you see the Japanese games all had the option to install to HDD to speed up loading times, and the fact alot of NTSC games had progressive scan and some had 1080i and 720p support I feel the need to want to play my old games in hi res much like people like to get FF7 and FF8 in hi resolution on the PC :)
Sony released the slim PS2 when they announced they were discontinuing FF11 on the PS2 which was alittle while after HD Loader exploded onto the scene - possibly damage limitation, or rehashing the console (ie like PSOne)?

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008-01-16 06:28:40 »
maybe not all japanese games.

you could still hack some ntsc/pal games into using hdd (not only sony's, but any hdd)

e.g. ffx-2 has 0 byte hdd modules on cd. if you could replace it (without breaking the hidden data files) with a working one you might use the hdd, as the hdd usage strings are there in the game executable, so i doubt it was totally locked out. i bet it's the same for many other games.

Sony released the slim PS2 when they announced they were discontinuing FF11 on the PS2
sony = square? i never heard of that ff11 announcement. is that for real?

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008-01-16 07:32:50 »
Otokoshi
I couldn't find how to do something like that in goggle, thats why I decided to ask in this forum.

Found this in two seconds, using Google, prior to my first post. Multiple CDs One DVD

I know that this does not relate to your PSX merge, but not every question is answered, and everything isn't going to be spoon fed to you either.  Sometimes you have to research.

In witch crazy world goggle has the "answer to life the universe and everything" and it doesn't say how to merge 3 PSX Cd's in a PS2 DVD.

Apparently the answer is 42.  I never claimed all the "universe and everything" answers were explained.  I just figured people that wished to learn something might want to do some independent study before asking for handouts.  And when someone politely tells them the current state of modding, they not be an asshat about it.

The NPC project is really great, but is for PC version and I want to do that with the PSX version

Quote from: Otokoshi
That's already being done by some great folks here.

NPC Reconstruction Project

This is done with the PC version.  New player models have not been added to the PSX version yet.

Didn't you want to know if this was possible?  All I stated was that the PC version had been done, but not the console version.  What point are you trying to make, the one I already stated?

Quote from: Otokoshi
The PC version can play any video file that you have a codec for.  Plenty of people have done work with enhancing the videos for FF7, like here for example.

By the way your videos are cool. Unfortunately they are for the PC version too.

Really?!  I was not aware of that... oh wait... I guess I was.  Because I already said that.

(The little son of a b*** of my brother split the CD in half *sniff*) so So Ive download the 1st CD but my PS2 doesn't read it. (I think that downloading the CD when you actually bought one is not illegal right?)

Your sentiment towards your brother is touching.  I don't know why he would ever break your CD.  So if I broke a DVD movie, I can walk into my local movie store and grab another copy off the shelf without paying right?  I don't think so, and the forum doesn't assist software pirates, sorry.  And from the looks of it, you need some serious assistance.

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008-01-16 08:27:40 »
main problem with ff7 psx on a single dvd would be - psx games rely on per-sector cd access more than per-filename access. you would have to do insane amount of hacking to put it all together.

Olie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008-01-17 09:33:11 »
i think doin that would be a complete waste of time. we only change discs what 2 or 3 times. the amount of time u spend making this dvd is not worth it in the long run.

it probaly wont increase gameplay performance or quality, you can do it anyway but you should look into re-doing some gfx or speed hacks.   or some shit that actually tweaks the game. <<<----- my opinion.

this project would be hell worth it for experience ^^

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 2008-01-17 11:46:21 »
Lemme know when you guys stop playing pretend ^_^

A PSX CD -> DVD conversation isn't going to happen because the game assumes it's on a CD-ROM. The game does not look up files by file name. It looks up the data by location on the disk. If you move the location, the game is going to crash.

Myria kitty

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008-01-26 00:09:32 »
Lemme know when you guys stop playing pretend ^_^

A PSX CD -> DVD conversation isn't going to happen because the game assumes it's on a CD-ROM. The game does not look up files by file name. It looks up the data by location on the disk. If you move the location, the game is going to crash.
I would actually put that very low on the list of problems =)  You could just put the disks as /2352 images on the DVD and translate read requests as desired.

The real issue is simply this: there is not enough RAM on the R3000 side.  The IOP libraries are considerably bigger than the PS1 libraries.  Game over.

The R5900 is not binary-compatible with the R3000 code due to an R5900 hardware bug, so you can't run it on there either.