Author Topic: Good soundfonts for normal FFVII midis  (Read 4928 times)

your evil twin

• View Profile
Good soundfonts for normal FFVII midis
« on: 2007-01-26 20:54:17 »
I've heard people say that the midi files in the PC version of FFVII don't sound so bad if you have good soundfonts installed on your computer. Can anyone point me to some good soundfonts that have worked well with the FFVII music?

I have a Realtek AC94 sound card, and it says the device for midis is the "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth". Don't know whether any of that makes any difference, but just thought I'd mention it in case certain soundfonts work better on certain soundcards or something.

Landarma

• View Profile
Re: Good soundfonts for normal FFVII midis
« Reply #1 on: 2007-01-26 22:06:52 »
Those soundfonts(.sf2) are for SoundBlaster soundcards.  if you can get Yamaha XG Softsynth, use that(only if your computer spec is enough for softsynths). 

**Oh, one more thing: Though FF7 PC install disc has Yamaha S-YXG70, it doesn't work at Windows 2k/XP.  So you have to get the one works.  Perhaps you can find S-YXG50 WDM, which works at Win2k/XP.
« Last Edit: 2007-01-26 22:18:14 by Landarma »

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007-01-26 22:20:29 »
Hey there,

That's true that soundfonts normaly work only on soundblaster card... but there is some softsynths that uses soundfont as instruments set.  I started a project that realy improve the instruments of the mid for any soundcard ... and I'm doing this more specificaly for ff7/8 pc... so if you are interessted in this project here the thread:

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=5553.0

I'm still in beta testing... so there is no link to download it for now... but there is some sample if you wanna hear how it will sound... you can P.M. me if you wanna test it in the beta phase... but for now you will need a very good CPU to run it .. because I have a lot of complex instrument that I have to simplify for the synth .. the more complex the soundfont is the more CPU it will use because since it's some kind of soundfont modul emulation.. it's all the CPU that have to do the job...

Landarma

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007-01-26 22:34:38 »
Or... with FF7Music, you can use any other sound files(like psf, mp3, ogg, module sounds, etc...) as BGM, though it looks like off-topic.

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007-01-26 23:56:18 »
Well.. there is some reason why I didn't use FF7Music ... and I decided to start this project instead... first because I liked a lot the original song... so all I wanted is to improve how it sound... the second reason is that it's pretty hard to make a mp3 or ogg to loop perfectly .. the midi doen's have this problem... another reason would be because FF7Music have some bugs.... that's why I decided to make a project that improve the midi instead of changing it for other song.

your evil twin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007-01-27 01:55:11 »
Yeah FF7Music is cool but I figured that if I could get the midis to actually sound OK then everything would be a heck of a lot simpler. I'll look into that Yamaha S-YXG50 WDM, as well as stormmedia's emulator thingy.

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007-01-27 07:41:11 »
I am some sort of MIDI freak and I own an excellent SW1000XG Yamaha soundcard dedicated to MIDI only and with it the ingame music is on par with the MP3 counterpart! I advice everybody who cares about keeping original MIDI music and wanting high quality audio output to get a soundcard just like mine. No soundfonts are then needed anymore.

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007-01-27 17:14:59 »
Well ... you still needs soundfont or something of this kind to have the One wing angel choir hehe... and I didn't find any card that sound better than my soundfont yet... I'm not saying that it doesn't exist though... if your soundcard have a better sound than my soundfont could you P.M. me a sample please I'm curious about it hehe... but I'll continue my work anyway for the ppl like me that have a soundcard that the midi sound awfull hehe.