Author Topic: IT'S OVER! SONY IS FINISHED!  (Read 26388 times)

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
Re: IT'S OVER! SONY IS FINISHED!
« Reply #50 on: 2011-05-01 07:20:38 »
i wasn't pointing the finger at anyone just stating my own opinion and i know all about geohot i have read all his statements and agree with him fully that in purchasing a piece of hardware you buy the rights that go with your hardware and you should be allowed to do what you want to it but if jail breaking the console means playing pirated games or even backups or backing up your games on your HDD then that is violating the laws sony has prenounced..i believe in buying goods and you having full ownership of them don't get me wrong i think it's BS that sony sued him won i also think it's BS that you can't copy your own original games...i agree with you fully i just don't want sony to be left to rot in the dirt is all....i want to have a console to play in the near future..know what i mean!!?

But jailbreaking DOESN'T mean playing pirated games, or backups as the case may be.  It simply means you can run un-signed code.  If someone uses the jailbreak for such a purpose, then so be it, can't hold the messenger accountable for the message.  Even so, Sony hasn't made any laws.  You're not understanding the difference between a licensing agreement and a law.  A licensing agreement isn't a law, it has no legal bearing.  That being said, I have no real issue with Sony banning people with Jailbroken consoles from the PSN, because it violates the licensing agreement that you agree to when connecting to PSN.  Sony can enforce a licensing agreement for services run by them.  You agree to a PSN licensing agreement, you violate it, you can't use PSN, case closed.  You agree to a licensing agreement to use the PS3, you violate it...Sony can't really do anything about it because that licensing agreement isn't law, and what you do on your own hardware is your own business, and they have to suck it up and deal with it.  While I don't personally feel that game piracy is as daunting an issue as Sony makes it out to be, it is an issue, but one that they can't do much about, except implement working security measures (like using a random number instead of 4), and don't violate consumer protection laws.

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #51 on: 2011-05-01 15:01:24 »
but cuppy 4 is a completely random number. "jailbreaking" as people tend to call it now really does not have anything to do with piracy.most people who do this just want to run their programs on the device or use them for something there not susposta. some examples. of things i do w/ my hacked devices.

ps2-
to play videos/music from my server w/ SMS . (about 200 cheeper then building a computer for this)
so i can hack psx savegame files. the ps2 is basicly my dexdrive.

Wii
Play videos/music off server (this one i don't have to get up to turn on and video looks better)
Access to the literal Hundreds of Homebrew applications for the wii. every thing from simple demos to Full Blown homemade games. (and sadly most are better then most every 3rd party wii games i have paid for.. )

NDS..
 mostly for playing mp3's in my car since the battery last longer then my netbook (and its smaller)

now can those systems run backups? the answer is well mostly NO only the ps2 can. the wii can't with out more software that is not part of the homebrew catalog! Or way more invasive hacking that will mostly break other homebrew. and has a good chance of killing your wii, but to be fair the ps2 can still play backups using a swap disk trick..(even in ps2 mode, its just harder to make work) so i if piracy is your goal. you don't even need to Hack it. most disk based systems can be tricked this way some just harder then others (i think you can do this on the ps3 also..)

syntax error

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2011-05-03 19:05:07 »
You can have advantages if you jailbreak your MP3 playing device.
Lets donate used or broken SONY devices to Rockbox!

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #53 on: 2011-05-03 19:44:04 »
oh rockbox :D how i loved it on my old archos player..

btw.. tomarrow is anti drm day and here is our sony flyer

http://static.fsf.org/nosvn/dbd/sonyflyer.pdf

(wish i had read it sooner as its Not Hotz its Geohotz.)

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2011-05-03 20:48:58 »
You can have advantages if you jailbreak your MP3 playing device.
Lets donate used or broken SONY devices to Rockbox!

Speaking of Rockbox, I think my brother (well...technically my best friend, but he may as well be my brother) just gave me the parts to fix my 5th gen iPod, I can't wait to get Rockbox back up and running =D

syntax error

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2011-05-04 21:23:01 »
Igor,use this hammer on that $ONY NWZxxx,please.

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2011-05-13 08:58:49 »
getting back on topic, i wonder how exactly do game publishing studios feel about this.

after all,some of them are definitely experiencing losses.