Author Topic: Problem with upscaled textures of the menu.lgp  (Read 10376 times)

Aavock

• View Profile
Problem with upscaled textures of the menu.lgp
« on: 2013-03-27 01:40:00 »
Hey guys,

I'm currently working on resizing @ 200% the *.tex files from the "menu_fr.lgp" (french version of the game). After a lot of trouble, I've managed to get all the palettes right. I'm using Biturn for the *.tex to *.bmp conversion and Img2tex for the *.bmp to *.tex. My first goal was upscaling the "usfont" files and I was very pleased with the results so I move on with the "btl_win" files and this is where the drama began. Problem is that all the textures located outside the battle window box such as "target" "death", "mp" (recovering), sleeping status and the damage and recovery numbers are keeping their original size and location from the *.tex file.

The reason why I've been working on this small mod is because I wanted to keep the original aspect of the game such as the custom font and because it'll be extremely easy to make it work. Every upscaled textures of the menu_fr.lgp is working just fine but for some reason it doesn't apply with textures located outside the battle window box only.

Thank you for any time/advice you could put in to a reply.

FF7Remastered

• View Profile
Re: Problem with upscaled textures of the menu.lgp
« Reply #1 on: 2013-03-27 04:23:52 »
Hello 5way, I don't really know how to fix your problem, but you can try using this as an external textures in your mod path. So instead of converting in to .tex files using Image2Tex, this time try saving the image to png format (make sure you delete the black part, or make sure to turn on fancy transparency in aali opengl config) and then add _00 to the end of the name of the png and put it in the mods\(your mod path)\menu folder. Hope that fixes it. 

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-03-27 17:27:05 »
Thanks for your response FF7Remastered but I want this little patch to be able to work for the re-release edition too and the easiest way to install (by only replacing the menu_fr.lgp file). I already spent a lot of time understanding the *.tex file's header, everything's working just fine except for all the outside battle window textures...

It's curious that all the rest of the textures works perfectly so I'm clueless how to fix it.

Here's another example: the countdown numbers are supposed to be the same ones as the HP and MP numbers (numbers are upscaled and works great in the battle window but not outside of it, they're keeping their original size and position of the original *.tex file).

FF7Remastered

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-03-27 19:46:27 »
I don't think it can be done without using external textures. It is the way the game works, if you upscaled those textures and compiled them into the .lgp then the game will only zoom in to the texture original area. So if you upscaled something from 128x128 to 512x512 then only the 128x128 area will be used.
You can always download the kranmer patch that converted the 2012 version to the original PC version, then use mod path, and everything should be perfect

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-03-27 19:58:25 »
It's weird because it works like a charm for the other textures and I didn't have to change anything...
Maybe it has something to do with the window.bin file ?

FF7Remastered

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013-03-27 21:01:32 »
Well as far as I know, most of the textures can be upscaled or even replaced by something completely different, like the magic textures or the model textures. But some textures such as this one that you are having problem with, or some textures in the highway minigame or the opening screen title, if you create a .tex and compile them into the lgp, then the game will only use the original area, so upscaling it will not work.
But I am sure that using it as an external texture in mod path works. For example like the opening screen with the buster sword, if you upscale it and put it into the lgp it wont work. But put it in the mod path as a png works.
It might a problem with window.bin, but I am not sure. But you should try, perhaps you could find a solution there. Otherwise, consider converting to the original pc version.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 2013-03-29 01:39:19 »
yea, looks like one programmer decided to grab some textures based on grabbing a percentage of the edge, while the other hard-coded the physical location of the mapping.

You don't expect a programmer to be consistent with code, do you :)

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2013-03-29 03:07:06 »
Thanks for the response halkun.

So, it has something to do with the ff7.exe ? I pretty much lack in knowledge in hex editing but is there some documentation about that specific mapping ?

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013-03-30 01:40:10 »
Okay, I just found in the ff7.exe (v1.02) 2 different type of calls of the menu_fr.lgp textures (as *.tim files). The callback.cpp line worth a second look, unfortunately, I have no clue what would be the next step...

sylandro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2016-08-13 20:43:43 »
Sorry for the 3 year old necro, but I'm having the same problem.

I'm trying to mod the steam version without downgrading (in order to preserve time tracking and all) and so far everything has been a success: I've repacked several lgps, edited text and even applied a few exe patches (thanks to DLPB's documentation).

I can't find any pointers in the existing documents that are scattered around the forums of where these instructions are located, but I'm sure it has been already reverse engineered.

Any hint of where/how should I start looking? I'm assuming I have to use a debugger, but perhaps someone else knows which address to edit.

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2016-08-13 23:51:37 »
Nothing new on my side: all textures displayed outside the battle window box remains the same size and x,y position as the original 256x256px *.tex ...but I still have a lot of menu.lgp upscaled textures ready, unfortunately this issue persists ever since.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2016-08-14 00:18:35 »
Try uMod. The menu is a peace o' cake while the BG's are very hard to replace.

sylandro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2016-08-15 22:49:36 »
I've been fiddling with uMod and it looks promising, is there any way of automatically loading the modified textures without loading umod.exe? I kind of dislike having to open a separate application to inject them.