Author Topic: Final Fantasy IX coming to PC and mobile... finally.  (Read 54787 times)

BaconCatBug

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IX coming to PC and mobile... finally.
« Reply #75 on: 2016-02-09 16:20:34 »
I can't wait for the PC version to come out so all ya'll smarties can crack it open and improve it. :D

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2016-02-09 17:16:42 »
Mobile version is out but no one gives a toss, hopefully the PC version lands within a week.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2016-02-09 19:31:12 »
There isn't much improvement needed with FF9...  it was a very solid game in all depts.  Not like ff7 broken from limb to limb.  For me personally, the port offers very little.  I mean, I've played the game 4 times and can do so again on emulator.
« Last Edit: 2016-02-10 00:31:24 by DLPB »

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2016-02-10 04:31:04 »
Playing it on Android right now, the menu is quite great, the controls are "ok" for touch controls and the graphics look great, so is the font used. The battle animations and the whole battle system in general is VERY smooth, it feels like it's 60 fps (UNCONFIRMED!, this is simply how it feels like to my eyes, it's really smooth) but entering a battle, there's still that dreaded delay we had on the original game..
So far, i'd say it's a really good port. Also, there's an option to skip FMV's, good for Excalibur 2 speedrunners.
« Last Edit: 2016-02-10 04:34:48 by -Ric- »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2016-02-10 21:33:56 »
Playing it on Android right now, the menu is quite great, the controls are "ok" for touch controls and the graphics look great, so is the font used. The battle animations and the whole battle system in general is VERY smooth, it feels like it's 60 fps (UNCONFIRMED!, this is simply how it feels like to my eyes, it's really smooth) but entering a battle, there's still that dreaded delay we had on the original game..
So far, i'd say it's a really good port. Also, there's an option to skip FMV's, good for Excalibur 2 speedrunners.

There was a video posted a while back where someone had hacked into the PSX version and had the battle running at 60fps (the only issue was the psx couldn't handle it).  It would be pretty awesome if SE implemented it

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2016-02-10 22:31:59 »
There was a video posted a while back where someone had hacked into the PSX version and had the battle running at 60fps (the only issue was the psx couldn't handle it).  It would be pretty awesome if SE implemented it

I can't really say if it's 60 fps but i can vouch for its smoothness, the characters move, dance (the waiting pose) and strike really smoothly without any frames dropped. Note that it might not run as smoothly on phones with not-so-good specifications, personally i'm running it on a Nexus 5 with a Snapdragon 800 CPU and a Adreno 330 GPU. I also just figured out that there's an option on the settings that disables the initial camera rotation in the start of every battle, it doesn't fix all the delay entering battles but it helps. (Camera still rotates on boss fights even with the option enabled)

So far i stand by my previous statement, it's a really good port, probably the best Final Fantasy port to mobile yet.

FatedCourage

• I'll never regret knowing you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #81 on: 2016-04-13 17:56:50 »
So I saw this bit of news today. This won't bother some people, I'm sure. But I prefer a proper PC port. Not a mobile one to PC. Seems lazy to me. http://nichegamer.com/2016/04/13/steam-version-final-fantasy-ix-will-require-android-plugins/

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2016-04-13 19:35:41 »
So I saw this bit of news today. This won't bother some people, I'm sure. But I prefer a proper PC port. Not a mobile one to PC. Seems lazy to me. http://nichegamer.com/2016/04/13/steam-version-final-fantasy-ix-will-require-android-plugins/

Quite unexpected... Though the game runs really well on phones, I expected a proper port and not an "emulated" version.. Let's see if it works well on pc..

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2016-04-14 07:29:13 »
The game was just released on Steam. http://store.steampowered.com/app/377840/

END OF WAITING! :)

PS> It has cards!
« Last Edit: 2016-04-14 07:33:52 by MaKiPL »

BaconCatBug

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2016-04-14 08:46:03 »
I had just bought Enter the Gungeon because I thought this would be a few months out. :( Now I can't afford it. Oh well. I guess I'll wait for mods. :3

insidious611

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2016-04-14 10:11:09 »
So anybody figured out yet if this is a proper port or just some sort of emulator?

Either way I've never actually finished FFIX so this might be worth grabbing at some point.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #86 on: 2016-04-14 10:32:03 »
Just bought it. Playing with a controller is unbearable. Apparently the game doesn't know the difference between triggering a button, holding a button and button repeat. For example, while being inside the item menu and pressing cancel once exits all the way back to the field. Just like I'm mashing the cancel button. In other words, it basically interprets any game-controller input as mashing 2-3 times in succession, depending on how long you tap the button.

At least it's like this with my xbox 1 controller.

Using mouse seems ok though.

I don't care that much about the graphics, it's fine to look at I guess, but the higher resolutions kinda renders the field backgrounds ugly and seemingly poorly upscaled.
The PC models have gotten the most work, as expected, and they look good imo.

Anyone found the savefiles?

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2016-04-14 11:29:40 »
He he... Got it right now. I did knew that they release it today,  so I didn't purchased any other game. When I'm at home I need to look in it's file struckture. ATM the replacing the backgrounds and fixing the control seems the most important things to do. Do we have a tool to extract the bgs from the psx version?

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2016-04-14 14:08:41 »
Just bought it. Playing with a controller is unbearable. Apparently the game doesn't know the difference between triggering a button, holding a button and button repeat. For example, while being inside the item menu and pressing cancel once exits all the way back to the field. Just like I'm mashing the cancel button. In other words, it basically interprets any game-controller input as mashing 2-3 times in succession, depending on how long you tap the button.

At least it's like this with my xbox 1 controller.

Using mouse seems ok though.

I don't care that much about the graphics, it's fine to look at I guess, but the higher resolutions kinda renders the field backgrounds ugly and seemingly poorly upscaled.
The PC models have gotten the most work, as expected, and they look good imo.

Damn... I was afraid of such crap with the controllers ever since I read about the game being pretty much emulated from Android... And what do you mean by  "Using mouse seems ok though."? Do you mean mouse clicking or for confirm/cancel or that you can actually play it fully with the mouse as if it was on a touchscreen?

Faendra

• French guy, sorry if my english is no good ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2016-04-14 14:15:28 »
Well, the controller works fine if you plug it at the main screen (i'm using a ps4 controller)
I hope modding will be possible with this version ! :D

FatedCourage

• I'll never regret knowing you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #90 on: 2016-04-14 14:29:29 »
Hope to see what you guys find out. Still on the fence of getting it, but really want to sink Tonberry into it and see what happens. The whole controller issue does leave me suspicious since others are having that issue. As for other things... I expected the backgrounds to be iffy. SE after all. Minimum effort. 30 FPS. PS1 game, so I see no issue with that. People are complaining about it being locked to 4:3, so I take it you can't even stretch it to the screen?

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #91 on: 2016-04-14 14:31:32 »
... "Using mouse seems ok though."? Do you mean mouse clicking or for confirm/cancel or that you can actually play it fully with the mouse as if it was on a touchscreen?

I don't know if it's fully plyable with mouse (but I guess so, why else include mousecontroll) as if it was touchscreen. What I mean is that there is no input issues.

Well, the controller works fine if you plug it at the main screen (i'm using a ps4 controller)
I hope modding will be possible with this version ! :D

Do you mean plug it in after the game boots?

EDIT: Yes that actually worked. Dunno if it was a freak occurrence 1st time though...
« Last Edit: 2016-04-14 14:33:59 by gjoerulv »

Faendra

• French guy, sorry if my english is no good ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2016-04-14 14:47:42 »
I don't know if it's fully plyable with mouse (but I guess so, why else include mousecontroll) as if it was touchscreen. What I mean is that there is no input issues.

Do you mean plug it in after the game boots?

EDIT: Yes that actually worked. Dunno if it was a freak occurrence 1st time though...

Yes, that was what i meant :) Yeah, and we have to do it each time we launch the game :/

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2016-04-14 14:49:43 »
My Logitech F310 Gamepad works fine, and it was plugged before I even installed the game. Sorry you're having those issues... I've got mixed feelings with the mouse support, but I guess it makes sense (there are three ways to play?). The UI looks fine and I like how they handle 16:9 ratio (they just add some borders to each side, sometimes they blend in nicely and sometimes they don't, but at least it's not stretched). It actually feels like at least some effort was put into it, unlike most other ports.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2016-04-14 17:51:01 »
My wired x360 pad works fine too, runs fine, 30fps in battle but still looks fairly smooth unless the animation itself is janky.

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2016-04-14 18:38:08 »

C:\Users\Home\AppData\LocalLow\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY IX\Steam\EncryptedSavedData
(replace "home" with whatever username you have on windows)

Also, the save file from android DOES work perfectly fine on the steam version, I pulled the save off my phone and into that folder and it loaded without any issue.. that's a plus lol
Framerate is fine, no lags on my almost 4 years old desktop and my PS3 controller works without any issues... So far so good...

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #96 on: 2016-04-14 19:28:08 »
Encrypted... That doesn't sound nice. Anyone knows if they have the same format on iOS?

kenichi

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2016-04-14 20:39:35 »
no graphical options? I cant find. (I am asking for steam)

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #99 on: 2016-04-14 21:06:53 »
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=665484370

This could get interesting...
Seems promising, but stretching is not desired. I'd rather just scale the whole thing up than bloat it all out.