Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods and Modding Framework-The Reunion [R06f]  (Read 3048796 times)

Shasta McNasty

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods - The Reunion (R04c)
« Reply #2400 on: 2016-01-11 03:16:48 »
"your face looks like a Chocobo's ass"

Had a feeling that wasn't in the original Japanese..  ;)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: 2016-01-11 03:35:15 »
Had a feeling that wasn't in the original Japanese..  ;)

The Japanese is something like "Wash your face", if I recall :P.  But it's some kind of weird Japanese insult.  It doesn't mean that Cloud's face is dirty.  I may be mixing the line up, but there's definitely a "wash your face" line in the Japanese at that map.

Ver Greeneyes

• View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: 2016-01-11 04:21:38 »
Yeah, it's how the Japanese writers wanted to remind you of where you are going.  It didn't matter at start of the game because you were there already pretty much.  It wasn't as necessary to exposition.  Although, I think the blue here is a waste of time, too.

This kind of text highlighting is a pet peeve of mine - it's so infantilizing. For instance, I like Okami, but the text highlighting - along with over explaining everything in general - really reduced my enjoyment of the game. IMO text highlighting should be reserved for tutorials: if the player misses a word because they aren't paying attention, it's their own damn fault ;D
« Last Edit: 2016-01-11 04:23:31 by Ver Greeneyes »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: 2016-01-11 04:41:43 »
I always thought it was particularly dumb in games that are so linear that's where you have to go anyway. It's okay to mention it in regular-colored dialogue when we don't have any choice but to go to to Mako Reactor 1 anyway. It's not like we're gonna somehow get lost between Sector 7 Slums and Mako Reactor 1 and accidentally find ourselves in Rocket Town or something.

Just imagine if platformers and other such games tried to pull this. "Thank you, Mario! But our princess is in another castle! Try looking in the World 2-4 Castle!"

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: 2016-01-11 04:50:21 »
haha.  I guess I can also look at this and remove the more silly ones.

Ver Greeneyes

• View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: 2016-01-11 05:40:04 »
I don't think it's such a big deal, but I can't say I would mind :)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: 2016-01-11 05:42:48 »
I've never liked it either, tbh.  It does come across as rather stupid - aimed at 8 year olds.  But, then, the game did have a wide audience.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: 2016-01-11 07:11:00 »
Changes for Green_Goblin (Thanks for all the bug / issue reports):

junpb_2, mds7_w2

{GREEN}Anger{WHITE}
  Less time to reach your Limit,
  but attacks are less accurate.
  Cured with a Tranquillizer.{NEW}
{GREEN}Sadness{WHITE}
  Less damage is received,but
  it takes longer to reach your
  Limit. Cured with a Stimulant.{NEW}

[note, I wanted to expand on this, but I am limited to 4 lines in the interest of tidy dialogue box.  It's a large piece of text in full. Don't post that Tranquillizer is a spelling mistake - it isn't.  The US English is altered by option.]

rootmap

“This is a wireframe model
  of the Mako city,Midgar.”{NEW}
“It’s around 1:10000 scale.”{NEW}
“The top plate is about
  50 metres above ground.”

tunnel_2

“This is no time to mess around.
  Never know when Shin-Ra’ll turn up.”{NEW}

elm

{BARRET}
“Yo,I’ll be waitin’ here.
  Don’t keep me waiting.”

bwhillin

{BARRET}
“You should’ve asked one of the
  others if ya wan’ed to screw around!”

mds5_5

“But the five of us can’t just stroll around
  the plains together. It’s too dangerous.
  We should split into two groups.”

md1_1

Biggs
“Wow…
  You’re from Soldier,all right!”{NEW}

mds7pb_1

{BARRET}
“Two thousand!”

[It isn't good practice to start sentences with numbers.  Most style guides are against it.]

mds7_w1

“There’s just one condition…”{NEW}
“You’ll cough up some dough.”
{CHOICE}1 gil
{CHOICE}10 gil
{CHOICE}Don’t give him a thing
« Last Edit: 2016-01-11 13:01:06 by DLPB »

Hyperthesis

• View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: 2016-01-11 12:26:03 »
{GREEN}Anger{WHITE}
  Greater damage to enemies,

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Anger/Fury status affects damage dealt at all. According to Final Fantasy Wikia:

The Fury status reduces the character's hit rate for both physical and magical attacks by 3/10, but also doubles the rate at which the Limit gauge fills.

Fury affects Hit% in the following formula:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Fury_(status)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: 2016-01-11 12:28:47 »
Hmmm I think I had a late night and just got the wrong end up the stick.  OK, so is this it:

Sadness:  Less Damage received but also slow to reach the Limit

Fury: Faster to reach limit but lower accuracy.

junpb_2, mds7_w2

{GREEN}Anger{WHITE}
  Quicker to reach your Limit,
{GREEN}Sadness{WHITE}
  Less damage is received,but
  it takes longer to reach your
  Limit. Cured with a Stimulant.{NEW}
« Last Edit: 2016-01-11 13:02:42 by DLPB »

Hyperthesis

• View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: 2016-01-11 16:54:09 »
Sounds better. I can't comment on the original Japanese text, but I think what you have is more in line with the original English localization.

(Edit: I'm basing that off the game script I found here: http://letao.is-a-geek.net/ff7script/)
« Last Edit: 2016-01-11 16:57:29 by Hyperthesis »

White Wind

• View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: 2016-01-11 19:50:26 »
That might get you interested:

http://latin.campus.nd.edu/cgi-bin/lookit.pl?latin=cubile

and in Spanish "cubil" is the name for the place where animals/insects gather for sleep:

http://www.wordreference.com/definicion/cubil

so "cubile" / "cubil" basically means "lair / den / nest / hive".
I find that very much related to the insect-type of our guy...

And there's this (source is below):

"In fact, I think most Japanese that try to distinguish ヴァ and バ pronounce what would be /v/ indeed like the Spanish [β] (...) In any case, I think it can be said that the /v/ phoneme doesn't (yet) exist in Japanese and for those speakers that do recognize it as different from /b/, it's almost never the voiced labiodental fricative [v], but rather the voiced bilabial fricative [β]."

"It varies, but it is usually a weak "b". (...) Originally, Japanese had no ヴ character so they used variations of ビ (bi). I think some Japanese might be able to do it, but they find it quite awkward. (...) ヴ was probably introduced in order to reduce confusion and to retain accuracy when transliterating."

That's from here: http://japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/24498/do-japanese-actually-pronounce-the-v-sound

And about the letter V in Latin:

"(...) Only in medieval times (11th century) did J and W solve the problem. In fact, V began to acquire its modern pronunciation as a voiced dental, which became further confused with the Greek beta sound, becoming practically a B in Spanish (...) The original V has many aliases: U, W, F and B to represent its assorted sounds."

http://mysite.du.edu/~etuttle/classics/latalph.htm (end of 3rd paragraph)

So I think it's safe to say that "cubil(e)" could easily become "cuvil".

but "duns"..
I've looked at that, I don't know what it's worth: https://www.facebook.com/events/159525254394727/
EDIT: like his arms and his way of attacking you make him look like some sort of drummer?
« Last Edit: 2016-01-11 20:20:00 by White Wind »

WatashiWaZero

• View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: 2016-01-12 01:10:20 »
Talking with Elmina after Aerith's capture, Barrett says:

"...
  I've thought 'bout it plenny.
  ..."

Is "plenny" intentional?

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: 2016-01-12 01:24:07 »
elm

{BARRET}
  Don’t keep me waiting.”

I think the second waiting makes the first one redundant

brainsolo

• View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: 2016-01-12 01:33:24 »
This mod is not pure translation ;)

Yeah, my mistake, I even read that in the OP :-X

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2415 on: 2016-01-12 04:32:41 »
elm

{BARRET}
  Don’t keep me waiting.”

I think the second waiting makes the first one redundant

lmao, I didn't even notice that.  Very annoying.  Let's go with:

elm

{BARRET}
“Yo,I’ll be here.
  Don’t take too long.”

Is "plenny" intentional?

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/plenny

@White Wind

Possibly.  It's better than what we have at present though - which is sweet FA.  Luksy will know better than I.
« Last Edit: 2016-01-12 10:58:28 by DLPB »

White Wind

• View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: 2016-01-12 12:50:09 »
"Pud", a slang word for "penis" (the creature has 3 tentacles). And then urea, which is found in urine (the guy looks like some water bug).
I'm maybe in stereotype zone, but could it be they gave a 3-tentacle creature a name sexually connotated..

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: 2016-01-12 12:52:03 »
The question is whether Nomura knew that and used it.  Chances are he didn't.  I think Urea could work (one for Luksy, but i remember mentioning it before) ... but Pud being penis is a .... bit of a stretch (haha).

White Wind

• View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: 2016-01-12 12:55:12 »
haha x)

Hyperthesis

• View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: 2016-01-12 13:40:56 »
Another minor bug to report in R04c. The game timer on the lower-right corner of the menu has two colons (hhh:mm:ss); the one separating hours and minutes (hhh:mm) blinks at 1-second intervals. However, the other one (mm:ss) remains static. I'm not sure if this behavior is present in prior versions of Reunion or even vanilla FFVII, but it seems to me that if only one colon should be blinking, especially at 1-second intervals, it ought to be the one that abuts the seconds-place in the timer.

Really, it's not something to lose sleep over, but I figured you might want to know, DLPB, since you've poured so much effort into cleaning up the menu.

BaconCatBug

• View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: 2016-01-12 18:23:20 »
Any chance for an option to keep the original English Limit break names? Climhazzard has a history now with later games and simply sounds better than Crime Hazard. Failing that, may I ask how to edit manually for myself? :)

Also, it looks like the limit break bar is not turning blue for Sadness, it turns red.
« Last Edit: 2016-01-12 18:41:20 by BaconCatBug »

White Wind

• View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: 2016-01-12 18:57:07 »
Any chance for an option to keep the original English Limit break names? Climhazzard has a history now with later games and simply sounds better than Crime Hazard. Failing that, may I ask how to edit manually for myself? :)

I doubt DLPB will involve again more work and time for options to accomodate the old (and obsolete) original text

I am not ever adding any other options or work arounds.  The whole point of the retranslation project is to retranslate - and I think I've added enough concessions already, especially with character names.

but any change can be made by yourself with touphScript: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=11944.0 but you'll have to wait for the next revision of touphScript because it is not compatible with R04 as of now, it is being worked on by luksy.
« Last Edit: 2016-01-12 19:10:20 by White Wind »

Shasta McNasty

• View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: 2016-01-12 20:07:11 »
Climhazzard has a history now with later games and simply sounds better than Crime Hazard.

AND You know the "hazzard" part of Climhazzard is actually misspelled, right?  Unless you're talking about the Dukes of Hazzard, which references fictional Hazzard County in Georgia.

The desire to stick to the familiar is understandable, but "Clim" doesn't even make sense-- it doesn't refer to anything.  I don't even know what they were thinking when they decided on that.  "Climb" or "crime" are the only things that would make sense, considering the way it was spelled in the original Japanese (Kuraimu).

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: 2016-01-12 20:21:52 »
ClimHazzard is as retarded as Climb Hazard and Crime Hazard - no, actually - as the person above rightfully points out - IT'S WORSE because it's totally nonsensical and contains a spelling mistake.  But the last of those is likely what the name is.  They made a very crap name for the move that makes as much sense to Japanese players as it does to us.  The fault does not lie with the retranslation project but with the original game and authors.
« Last Edit: 2016-01-12 20:24:48 by DLPB »

lionheart82

• View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: 2016-01-12 20:29:04 »
To add my 2 cents climb Hazzard seems most "normal" to me since he sorta climbs(jumps) up in the air. Crime is senselles, since, what does the combo of crime and hazzard mean in the context of his limit break? Hahaha i have to say i agree with you now that i write this, the original name is idiotic as well. (-: