Author Topic: I Want To Texture.  (Read 3160 times)

JordieBo

• View Profile
I Want To Texture.
« on: 2010-07-19 21:13:19 »
Basically,
I'd love to help out with projects such as Team Avalanche, and I am about to go into A-Level Graphic Design, so I'm not new to Photoshop. But I really don't know where to start, and fiddling around with buttons really doesn't do the job.

Can anyone recommend some tutorials or something similar for me to start texturing? Here some stuff I've done:

http://img844.imageshack.us/f/greengrungepaper.jpg/
http://img843.imageshack.us/f/donaldgrunge12808003.jpg/
http://img830.imageshack.us/f/graphictee.jpg/
http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/415/46356042.png

So as you can see, I'm not completely new to Photoshop, and I learn very quickly, but I really don't know where to go to start =\

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
Re: I Want To Texture.
« Reply #1 on: 2010-07-19 21:42:54 »
hit google and do a search for "Grass PS" and start there. Learning the natural elements like dirt, grass, sand, etc. is much easier than trying to create the side of a building. And most structures have similar characteristics to the basic elements, so your original images can be adapted to new materials. Once you get a fairly large stable of your "Base" images, it's pretty easy to manipulate them into whatever you desire. Some people do one off textures everytime, but i usually dip back into my older textures, because often then yeild good results without having to tediously tweak every aspect.

This is just the way i do things, and the way i learned. there are countless other ways as well.

lee

JordieBo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-07-20 00:01:34 »
Okay here is a portion of what I achieved, I'll need a bit more practice but I think I'm making a good start!

I'll have to have a fiddle around, I'm thinking that with this skill, things like fur could be easily created. I shall post some more results when I actually achieve something worth showing  :)

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-07-20 00:42:24 »
yup, the grass looks good. Try a few more tutorials and keep upping your knowledge of filters and brushes. A biggie is using alpha masks on the fly to save time, and they allow some really slick transistions between certian materials. Im guessing you already figured this out though ;)

Now, concerning this and FF7:
However, if you put it into a game you'll find.... thats not the case anymore. Im not knocking what you've done, it looks good but there is a huge difference between making good images, and making images that look good within games. Im not putting you down at all, but the difference is HUGE to say the least.

lee

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-07-20 01:09:45 »
there is a huge difference between making good images, and making images that look good within games

This is the most important thing to bear in mind when making images and whatnot. You can't just think about the texture or model out of context; you need to think about it within the context of the game, lest you create a monstrosity.

JordieBo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-07-20 13:29:42 »
Hm! Well in that case could I possibly see the original world map grass texture and the grass texture with the Chocobo tracks? I know they've already been done, but I'd like to see if I can do it.  :)

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #6 on: 2010-07-20 17:48:45 »
there is a huge difference between making good images, and making images that look good within games

This is the most important thing to bear in mind when making images and whatnot. You can't just think about the texture or model out of context; you need to think about it within the context of the game, lest you create a monstrosity.

I was thinking this same thing when I saw this yesterday. Those textures do look very good and realistic, but only from that perspective. Consider that when making floor textures for 3D games where the perspective is always changing that it would look really strange to have the texture dedicated to looking good from only one angle.