Author Topic: FF7config.exe Crash (No solution found in other thread)  (Read 15041 times)

Faeynrir

• View Profile
Whenever I try to run FF7config.exe, it doesn't open and crashes, prompting me to debug or close it. I have been looking around for a few hours, and I haven't found a solution. Here's a picture. http://imgur.com/VDA21

I followed a YouTube Tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfiVZ7YGFfA) exactly, and when it comes time to play FF7 mine crashes and theirs does not.

I was hoping someone here could tell me why or point me in the right direction.

A friendly reminder: if you wanna display a picture from imgur, you need the image's url, not the page's url. I replaced your img tags with url tags, so it should be clickable now. ~Covarr
« Last Edit: 2012-10-10 01:35:14 by Covarr »

ajthedj747

• Looking Forward to 2017
    • View Profile
Re: FF7config.exe Crash (No solution found in other thread)
« Reply #1 on: 2012-10-10 02:16:59 »
Whenever I try to run FF7config.exe, it doesn't open and crashes, prompting me to debug or close it. I have been looking around for a few hours, and I haven't found a solution

I was hoping someone here could tell me why or point me in the right direction.

The Bootleg Configurator will automatically fix this problem for you. I recommend you use the Bootleg Configurator  0039 by @PitBrat.

Here is the tutorial by @EQ2Alyza:

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=13212.0

This thread just really doesn't wanna be formatted correctly, does it? Fixed your quotes. ~Covarr
« Last Edit: 2012-10-10 02:21:53 by Covarr »

Faeynrir

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-10-10 04:11:30 »
Hmm, it doesn't ask me for a graphics card or sound driver in step 9. Possibly the problem? I have no clue how to fix this, though.

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-10-11 21:30:15 »
Do you have more than one video card or sound card installed in your system?

Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-10-14 18:47:58 »
if you're using vista/7/8 then you probably need to turn off Data Execution Prevention for the executable files. Here's how:

Start button> right-click Computer> Properties > click Advanced System Settings > Settings (under the Performance header in the Advanced tab) > select DEP tab and then "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select".

Then add the FF7Config.exe file. Make sure to click Apply as well before exiting out. It may also ask you to reboot. Do the same for FF7.exe, or it will crash too. I'm pretty sure this doesnt need to be done for FF8, I have both games installed, unless you're using the Aali's Custom Graphics Driver mod with FF8, in which case you will need to do this because Aali's mod uses FF7Config.exe.

Hope that helped!
« Last Edit: 2012-10-14 18:52:58 by Enigma »

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012-10-14 22:32:53 »
Hi Faeynrir

DEP has probably nothing to do with it.
With me everything is going well with and without DEP.

I see in your picture you have Google Chrome installed.
Is known for disturbances.
Close all services that have to do with Google Chrome and try again later.

I'm pretty sure this doesnt need to be done for FF8, I have both games installed, unless you're using the Aali's Custom Graphics Driver mod with FF8, in which case you will need to do this because Aali's mod uses FF7Config.exe.

Not for FF8!

Greeting Kompass63

Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-10-14 22:59:16 »
Well, individual sysytems are different, and in my personal experience DEP has ALWAYS needed to be disabled for FF7 when running it on a modern OS like Vista/7/8. i have ran this game on around half a dozen laptops in the past few yrs, with different Windows OSes installed, and it always needed to be disabled. DEP is a technology by Microsoft designed to try to prevent malicious apps from running, but it also interferes with some games, especially old games that were created long before DEP came around. Just google "DEP" and "games" or <name of game here> in the same line, you'll see what i mean. if you dont need to turn DEP off then you must be doing something differently..........

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012-10-14 23:50:58 »
Hi Enigma

Million users use FF7 without ever having heard anything from DEP (including me!).
Why exactly do you always have to adjust DEP is not known to me.
I've just checked with me DEP runs on both software and the hardware.

Read more here.

Greeting Kompass63

DieHrd101

« Reply #8 on: 2012-11-19 19:35:51 »
Hi! I have a similar problem with bootloader.exe. when i try to launch it i get bootloader.exe has stopped working. on my task bar a warning pops up that DEP has closed the program. when i try to follow your steps to turn off DEP for bootloader.exe it says this program must run with DEP enabled. you cannot turn DEP off for this program. I can't change resolution or set difficulty levels if i can't launch bootloader exe. Oddly enough the first 2 times i tried to patch ff7 this wasn't a problem after patch finished successfully, bootloader launched automatically. between a couple of probs i had plus just trial and error on different patches i've now re installed ff7 bootleg about 5 times and after the 3rd time i started getting this bootloader problem??? Each time i did uninstall an re install. I'm on vista home premium and i've made sure i've run as admin.

here are the problem details it list:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH (sometimes this says BEX)
  Application Name:   BootLoader.exe
  Application Version:   0.1.0.0
  Application Timestamp:   4ff22068
  Fault Module Name:   ntdll.dll
  Fault Module Version:   6.0.6002.18005
  Fault Module Timestamp:   49e03821
  Exception Code:   c0000005
  Exception Offset:   000398ff
  OS Version:   6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
  Locale ID:   1033
  Additional Information 1:   ea95
  Additional Information 2:   fb354fec24e9634d4e59335f4b912f7f
  Additional Information 3:   154c
  Additional Information 4:   7b68d3e3f3b05027333fa3fdaddb2349

Any help would be appritiated!

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2012-11-19 21:39:53 »
When you uninstalled, did you also delete all the game folders?

Q:The game worked but now it crashes at startup!
A:Uninstall the game, delete all the game folders, delete the Bootleg files (BFE.exe, bootleg.exe, BFE.ini), reinstall FF7 (or specify an image), extract the Bootleg files again and re-run BFE.exe.

saftle

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2012-11-20 16:06:02 »
I'm guessing it could be one of the Visual C++ Runtimes since FF7 & FF7Config requires one of them, or the .NET Framework 2.0 is corrupt .

After reproducing the error try the following:

1. Right Click my Computer
    2. Click Manage
    3. Navigate to Event Viewer -> Windows Logs - > Application
    4. Check which DLL created the error.
    5. Google the DLL to find out which Runtime Package needs to be reinstalled.
    6. Login as the real Administrator, the user is actually called "Administrator" (by default in Vista and Win7 it is disabled).
      To enable the Admistrator
         a. Right Click My computer
         b. Click Manage.
         c. Navigate to Local Users & Groups -> Users
         d. Activate the "Administrator" by changing it's properties, and set a password by right clicking the user
         e. Restart and login as the Administrator
    7. Download and Reinstall the Runtime Package.
    8. Restart and login as your normal User

JudeSaint

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2012-11-30 06:32:55 »
I as well am getting an error when i try to "Play FF7"  Says that "ff7config.exe has stopped working" ...
if you're using vista/7/8 then you probably need to turn off Data Execution Prevention for the executable files. Here's how:

I did this already.  I'm not very familiar with too much of this and the post about finding the DLL kinda got me lost.

I got this:
Faulting application name: ff7config.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x35fd9b33
Faulting module name: nvd3d9wrap.dll, version: 8.17.12.6830, time stamp: 0x4db0d003
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00001eb5

I'm just unsure of what i need to do from here? If someone could help me out it would be much appreciated.  Also as i said I'm not too familiar with this type of stuff so if it could be as detailed as possible it would also me very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

JudeSaint

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2012-11-30 07:32:14 »
So i think i did this correctly.  I found the .dll that my above post said failed.  I downloaded it and tried to put it in however it says that i dont have permission to edit the contents in that folder.  Even though i am the administrator.  Help?

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2012-11-30 21:46:14 »
That's Windows being dumb. Properties of the folder and uncheck Read-Only. Apply to all.

JudeSaint

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2012-12-01 04:29:52 »
I did that.  It still says i dont have permission to change or delete the file.  Im running as admin.  Im even opening "Windows Explorer" as admin. I have reinstalled Aali's custom drivers as well and still get the "ff7config.exe not responding" right after the cmd prompt window shows up
When i look at it in the error report im still getting this
Faulting application name: ff7config.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x35fd9b33
Faulting module name: nvd3d9wrap.dll, version: 8.17.12.6830, time stamp: 0x4db0d003
« Last Edit: 2012-12-01 04:54:04 by JudeSaint »

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2012-12-01 12:35:11 »
Put a screenshot of your game folder right after installing FF7 and the 1.02 patch.

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2012-12-01 16:53:13 »
Hi JudeSaint

Put a screenshot of your game folder right after installing FF7 and the 1.02 patch.

And also a screenshot from the properties for FF7Config.exe like this

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2012-12-02 03:51:32 »
Yes, that wouldn't hurt. Also make sure we can see every file and their modification date.

saftle

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2013-03-07 19:21:16 »
Lol I am now having the same issue on a new installation. Did any of you guys find out the solution to this problem? I reinstalled a few times.

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2013-03-07 22:09:57 »
Could possibly help my FF7_GameConverter (works also with the English version of FF7)

Before that you should delete the registry keys that Kranmers NewToOld patch has set, if possible.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #20 on: 2013-03-10 16:55:50 »
I'm guessing it could be one of the Visual C++ Runtimes since FF7 & FF7Config requires one of them, or the .NET Framework 2.0 is corrupt .

After reproducing the error try the following:

1. Right Click my Computer
    2. Click Manage
    3. Navigate to Event Viewer -> Windows Logs - > Application
    4. Check which DLL created the error.
    5. Google the DLL to find out which Runtime Package needs to be reinstalled.
    6. Login as the real Administrator, the user is actually called "Administrator" (by default in Vista and Win7 it is disabled).
      To enable the Admistrator
         a. Right Click My computer
         b. Click Manage.
         c. Navigate to Local Users & Groups -> Users
         d. Activate the "Administrator" by changing it's properties, and set a password by right clicking the user
         e. Restart and login as the Administrator
    7. Download and Reinstall the Runtime Package.
    8. Restart and login as your normal User

I just recently had the FF7Config.exe crash on me, and I can confirm that this method works. I couple things I want to note though.

1) When you find the DLL error in step 4, you can perform a Google search to download the single file. I was able to with mine, and it saved a little time not having to install a Runtime Package.

2) The Windows log tells you the folder where the DLL error occurred. Before you go to paste your file in that folder, you need to right-click Properties and uncheck Read-Only for the folder and all its files. You also need to cut/paste the old file you are replacing into another safe place, and use it as your back-up. Regardless of all the Administrator privileges given, it wouldn't ever allow me to copy over an already existing file.

Insight

• Nothing special here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2013-04-07 20:16:56 »
I did that.  It still says i dont have permission to change or delete the file.  Im running as admin.  Im even opening "Windows Explorer" as admin. I have reinstalled Aali's custom drivers as well and still get the "ff7config.exe not responding" right after the cmd prompt window shows up
When i look at it in the error report im still getting this

This post may a bit old and reactivating this thread might be late, but i have found the solution to the "nvd3d9wrap.dll" problem. i encountered the whole day (doesnt matter what i have tried,it didnt work) this error and so iwent to the file itself. it was stored in "C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\coprocmanager".it might be different for you, so use the windows explorer search function. just rename it to "_nvd3d9wrap.dll". it does not affect anything ( for now ). You can start now ff7config.exe :) if you are finished with playing, just in case, rename it back to its original name.

hope i could help you.