Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIII Discussion  (Read 13652 times)

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy XIII Discussion
« Reply #25 on: 2011-06-16 18:47:01 »
I just don't get how anyone could like this game. (...) And I did get all the trophies and everything (except treasure hunter, I refuse to kill a ton of adamantoise and hope to god that they drop a platinum ingot just so I can upgrade weapons I never use).

I did the exact same thing. I completed the mark-hunting quest, but I couldn't be bothered to kill hundreds of turtles. But like Joe, I at least like part of FFXIII's gameplay. Battles can indeed be fun... ...Like DarkFang says, they're designed like puzzles - the only problem is, once I complete a puzzle, I have no interest to undo it and complete it again. Hence no replay value.

Even though I bet you paid $60 or $70 to get the game and so felt the need to at least complete it to get your money's worth, obtaining most trophies means you like it a little, no ? So you should get how some people would like it ;) (don't take it the wrong way yarLson, I like to be annoying by pointing small flaws in people's posts :P - because either it's an oversight or you're a masochist).

Here is my love-letter to Square-Enix, by the way :

"Dear S-E,

I think FFXIII is too fast & furious for my tastes. When I play a RPG, I like to kick back and relax. But FFXIII's battle system prevents me to do that. Leave action-packed and over-the-top stuff out of my RPGs will ya, my loves ?... Another trend I notice is how the series gets more and more pretentious in its presentation as it advances. As soon as you boot up the game, just like FFXII, it reeks of this "don't look elsewhere kid, you're now playing the ultimate video-game that will blow you away". Except neither FFXII nor FFXIII blew me away. They fell flat on their faces, so this conceit of yours makes you lose all credibility, lovely Squeenix. ...And look at those moves ! Such a jump ! And how she kicks the guard, so stylish and cool !... ...except it's not. What is this, Matrix ? My cat tells me this trend is old and ridiculous.

But back to the gameplay department. Easy on the random enemies' HP values my amour angels, they're way too high. It would also be nice if you didn't fill my screen with damage numbers : there are so many I can't keep track, and they end up being a distraction and staining the picture. The enemies' stagger and life gauges are the only things I look at in FFXIII, anyways.

This "damage number" issue also leads to another problem : my characters grow in strength, but I never notice it since I can never fight enemies from the previous chapters. Because I'm only looking at the gauges, I see no difference between the enemies at the beginning of the game and those near the end, since even though they have different HP values, they'll need as many hits to be taken down. Combined with the lack of a Defence and Magic Defence stat, this ultimately means that the leveling system is completely useless, kitty-kittens.

Fix everything my Qhimm friends and I mentioned in this thread, my deliciously sugar-coated baby-faces, and I'll happily buy that FFXIII-2 of yours.

Eternally yours,
AV"
« Last Edit: 2011-06-16 20:38:17 by Armorvil »

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2011-06-19 02:51:52 »
Just got the plat again, this time for my sister. Clocked in around 50 hours if I remember correctly. Now she wants me to finish Street Fighter IV lol. I'm gonna make a perfect game list later on explaining what would be necessary for a perfect game, and then I'm going to attempt it. I expect it to take over 200-300 hours.

On another topic, does anyone play Street Fighter IV? Does anyone know any tips on how to do C. Viper's Hard Trial 5 and Gen's Hard Trial 5? Those are the only two I have left to do.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2011-06-20 16:37:39 »
well the only reason I did everything there was to do wasn't because I like it. Allow me elaborate a bit. I do believe that the paradigm system has potential but the fact that they didn't implement what would seem to be obvious additions (control all 3 players for god sakes, more than just one unique super move per character etc. etc.) just annoyed the shit out of me more than anything and by the end I couldn't take any more. Now the there are a couple of (stupid) reasons why I did everything there was to do in this game.

1. Because I waited for almost an entire decade to play it actually thinking it would be awesome.
2. I payed 60 bucks for it.
3. Since I was thoroughly disappointed with the story, I wanted to see if there would be some kind of mega boss, secret area, special quest etc. that would at least provide somewhat of a real challenge and therefore IMO redeem the game just a bit. For example when you go through Titan's trials, I got a little pumped thinking that he would be the final challenger and it would be some ultimate boss similar to the weapons of previous entries. How sadly I was mistaken.

The game sucked just about as badly as it could have IMHO. The only aspect I can appreciate is the art work which is why I think it'd make a better movie or possibly graphic novel. I look forward to VS XIII because the director actually has some fucking experience but other than that i don't think I'll even bother with any future FFs because of the way this game made me feel (honestly I did feel like a masochist by the end of it).

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2011-06-20 21:01:06 »
Ha, I understand. My logic for doing every mission was the same as yours, actually. And I also felt conned when I noticed the last optional boss' 3D model was just an umpteenth flying monster. I swear, there must be less than 15 or 10 different enemy 3D models in the whole game ; it's ridiculous.

Like Joe, though, I found the battle system enjoyable at times. That, and positioning the camera in front of Vanille and having her walk. This allows you to see the amount of details in the graphics, and she definitely has some delicious legs... <3
Still, since you're basically forced to always have the camera behind the character you're controlling to see where you're going, I'd have loved one girl to have a behind as pleasant to look at as Ashe's from FFXII. I have no idea why the dev team had the bad idea to cover every girl's buttocks with some kind of cape. Since FFXII's dungeons were so boring, the devs realized Ashe's microskirt was necessary to keep the male gamer entertained... ...but this same logic would have worked in FFXIII, too. If I'm gonna see one character's butt for 100 hours, might as well make it appealing.

Anyways, I'd be quite happy if FF went back to lower quality graphics and fixed camera angles. Because most people are graphics whores, it won't happen - but there's no harm in dreaming about a new FF that would use the same technology as FFVII-FFIX (yay, the return of the world map & background CGs! This would allow us to get towns back). I really don't care about voices, controllable cameras and all that sh*t.
« Last Edit: 2011-06-20 21:25:48 by Armorvil »

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2011-06-20 22:01:22 »
Wow, a lot of strong opinions here.

Anyway, might as well mention a few things about FF13-2:

Towns return. This probably means shops too.

Conversations are available with the NPCs, instead of them just saying the same things with your character being silent.

Areas have more depth. In other words the game isn't linear.

No mention of a world map or airship yet, who knows if there will be one.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2011-06-20 22:22:18 »
I have no faith left for Squarenix.  To sum up:  XIII was a joke but a typical money spinner based around wowing fools with graphics.  IT worked.

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2011-06-20 22:33:53 »
Am I the only one that pre-ordered the Collector's Edition..? With the strategy guide?

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2011-06-20 22:35:07 »
I ordered them as well.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #33 on: 2011-06-21 14:41:24 »
If I buy 13-2, I'll buy it pre-used, like I did with 13. That way I won't (directly) support squeeny. The worst FF I've played so far is 10-2. I know 13-2 will suck monkey balls too. Please, prove me wrong sqeenix.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #34 on: 2012-07-30 10:40:25 »
I just revised this old video because I received it on youtube and still gave me laughs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5S6lDSHbg0&feature=g-all-u